Public beta 2 released!

This board is for discussions, bug reports, etc. for pre-releases of the v27 milestone codenamed "Tycho".

Since the beta phase is over, this board is closed for new posts/topics.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Public beta 2 released!

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-10-10, 10:30

Public beta 2 has been published -- please go to http://www.palemoon.org/WIP/ for info & downloads.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Public beta 2 released!

Unread post by Tomaso » 2016-10-10, 15:08

Thanks a lot for providing portable versions! :)

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-10-11, 17:33

I'm aware of your plans not to ship the Devtools in the Tycho, but as a developer I really miss them in Beta2.

No Firebug can't replace browser console even as it was in Beta1 :ugeek:

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-10-11, 17:48

How is "Browser Console" superior to the normal Toolkit Error Console?

And tell me how this isn't the EXACT same?! Where do you think the code originated?
ca733a18-c671-4e9b-aa4a-e6d9360378ee.jpg
verses..
0bef57de-271b-40c3-a8c9-5021133218e4.jpg
Except Firebug's output is more useful.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-10-11, 17:55

The most important in Browser Console is error and log filters by type and source.
In addition, the output looks compact and it can be opened by hotkey.

Error console in Beta2 is ugly crap:
palemoon_2016-10-11_20-56-02.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-10-11, 17:59

The output is less useful than even the Toolkit Error Console.. Firebug has the advantages of both Toolkit Error Console and Mozilla Devtools Browser Console.. Might want to check again.. As for more compact.. In this case.. more compact is less useful as Firebug will, if applicable, display the same info as the Toolkit Console with the filtering of the Browser console.

The (Javascript) Error Console in toolkit has the advantage of being pure toolkit and an isolated component which means it can run even when the browser chrome is shot to hell by a simple command line argument. It is useful as a first line and last resort debugging. It is also one of the oldest Toolkit components in the source code and not reliant on any half-assed bootstrap initialization.. It is your bargain basement error console and sometimes all you need and sometimes all you can get working.

Tell me? How do you check for errors in devtools which is fragile as hell when the devtools get busted?

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-10-11, 18:04

The problem is that Beta2 has only Error Console.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-10-11, 18:06

Yeah? Well I am working on the forking of Firebug versions that will provide all one needs. However, I have apartment inspections so that is pushed back until the end of the week.. If you want me to be able to complete that work I need to.. you know.. have a place to live.. So I am busy on my apartment.

Never the less, you can follow my progress here: https://github.com/Pale-Moon-Addons-Team/devtools

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-10-11, 18:16

Ok, thanks, I'll be patient. Can live with Beta1 until then.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2016-10-11, 19:33

Seems like a final release could be very much imminent...a xmas present perhaps.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

GreenGeek

Unread post by GreenGeek » 2016-10-11, 20:57

It's been years since I had Firebug installed. I don't even recall now why I didn't keep it. Anyway, I installed it so I could see how it compares to the formerly-built-in devtools. And I personally feel the layout of the built-in "Console" which opened at the bottom using Web Developer / Toggle Tools (or F12) was superior. The JS and CSS tabs were the most important ones for me. And with those, there were drop down arrows that let you select Errors, Warnings, Messages or All (i.e., in a convenient location). The old Error Console gives top billing to error type (errors, warnings, messages) while "Console" gives top billing to code type with error type selection a secondary choice. The "Console" was the best design I've seen IMO. If you can, maybe just take the design of the built-in Console (which I think is same as Browser Console except the latter opens in it's own Window, but different than Error Console) as a guide to improving the Firebug fork (redesign should not need much new code). We probably only need one version of an Error Console, and allow a choice for it to be docked at bottom (or top or side possibly) or to open in it's own window.

Looks like Scratchpad is not included in Firebug (I do admit I could have overlooked it), but that could easily be handled as a separate extension.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-10-16, 14:06

Matt A Tobin wrote:I am working on the forking of Firebug versions that will provide all one needs[/url]
Thank you for the 1.0.0a1!

Now I found it can be only attached to specific window, so the question remains the same: is there are any plans for restoring functionality of the Error Console?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-10-16, 14:55

What functionality do you speak of.. You can sort by error type in the extension.

Also, the "scratchpad" is IN the console.. Just click the right button..

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-10-16, 15:10

Matt A Tobin wrote:What functionality do you speak of..
Is there any way to see all errors from browser Error Console in this extension?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-10-16, 15:15

devtools-as-an-extension.png

Trippynet
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trippynet » 2016-10-16, 15:20

Really loving the new Beta, and also kudos for the pre-packaged portable version. Despite following the earlier steps provided, I could never get the alpha versions to work in portable mode. This works well though, and I'm particularly noticing how much better and quicker many sites display - Google Maps being much, much faster than in 26. :thumbup:

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-10-16, 15:21

My question isn't about scratchpad, I'd like to see in devtools all the same (system wide) errors as browser Error Console shows, is it possible or planned?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-10-16, 15:23

It does show all the errors of the Toolkit Error Console and MORE.. WHAT are you actually asking for... What Errors do not show up.. BE CLEAR.
383a76a0-38b0-4736-a347-7c83cb7bd15b.jpg

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-10-16, 15:34

Matt A Tobin wrote:It does show all the errors of the Toolkit Error Console and MORE.. WHAT are you actually asking for... What Errors do not show up.. BE CLEAR.
That's what I mean:
palemoon_2016-10-16_18-32-13.png

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-10-16, 15:40

The extension isn't really made for Chrome debugging but if it is open and you have selected "Chrome Errors" and "Chrome Messages" it will display them. However, I think the Toolkit Error Console is better for this.

They are WEB Developer Tools after all.