Non-SDK addon non-incompatibilities

This board is for discussions, bug reports, etc. for pre-releases of the v27 milestone codenamed "Tycho".

Since the beta phase is over, this board is closed for new posts/topics.
Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Non-SDK addon non-incompatibilities

Unread post by Falna » 2016-10-07, 18:11

I installed 27.0.0b1 today - my first try with Tycho - and found that in addition to 7 addons marked as being JetPack/SDK and incompatible, I have a further 8 extensions marked "extensionName is incompatible with Pale Moon 27.0.0b1", without an explanation.

If I remove these, then install just one of the 8, on restarting it isn't marked as incompatible. But if I then install a second, the first is marked incompatible but the second isn't - and so on - the last installed is not marked as incompatible, but all the previously installed ones are. Despite that, all of them appear to work without problem (so far as I can tell so far).

The extensions involved are the latest versions of Control de Scripts, Fangs, FrameExt, Linkification, NumExt, QuickFrame, Tab Preview and Try Again.

On the other hand, I also have an extension (Super Start) that isn't marked as incompatible, but doesn't appear to work (the options won't save, and it's start page can't be reached via the normal means).

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

dark_moon

Re: Non-SDK addon non-incompatibilities

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-10-07, 18:21

Please read the release notes: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=13269

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2016-10-07, 18:32

dark_moon wrote:Please read the release notes: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=13269
I've read the notes. They say nothing about falsely marking extensions as incompatible.

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-10-07, 18:35

Falna wrote:falsely marking extensions as incompatible.
What is the min and max versions of each extension in the install.rdf for each one? Do they directly support Pale Moon or merely Firefox? Are you being accusatory and hostile for a reason?

These are all great questions.. They better have good answers.

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2016-10-07, 19:02

Matt A Tobin wrote:
Falna wrote:falsely marking extensions as incompatible.
What is the min and max versions of each extension in the install.rdf for each one? Do they directly support Pale Moon or merely Firefox? Are you being accusatory and hostile for a reason?

These are all great questions.. They better have good answers.
I'm sure we're all here to make Tycho a success, not to be accusatory or hostile, aren't we?

According to the download pages, these are the stated compatibilities, plus PM compatibility:

Control de Scripts - Works with Firefox 1.5 - 21.* - and Pale Moon 26.5.0 (x86) - and Pale Moon 27.30.0b1 (x64)
Fangs - Works with Firefox 2.0 - 26.* - and Pale Moon 26.5.0 (x86) - and Pale Moon 27.30.0b1 (x64)
FrameExt - Works with Firefox 2.0 - 26.* - and Pale Moon 26.5.0 (x86) - and Pale Moon 27.30.0b1 (x64)
Linkification - Works with Firefox 1.0 - 49.* - and Pale Moon 26.5.0 (x86) - and Pale Moon 27.30.0b1 (x64)
NumExt - Works with Firefox 1.5 - 27.* - and Pale Moon 26.5.0 (x86) - and Pale Moon 27.30.0b1 (x64)
QuickFrame - Works with Firefox 1.0 - 27.* - and Pale Moon 26.5.0 (x86) - and Pale Moon 27.30.0b1 (x64)
Tab Preview - Works with Firefox 1.4 - 27.* - and Pale Moon 26.5.0 (x86) - and Pale Moon 27.30.0b1 (x64)
Try Again - Works with Firefox 2.0 - 46.* - and Pale Moon 26.5.0 (x86) - and Pale Moon 27.30.0b1 (x64)

Super Start - Works with Firefox 20.0 - 33.0a1 - and Pale Moon 26.5.0 (x86)

Forked extensions :

edrtf20

Unread post by edrtf20 » 2016-10-07, 19:48

On the other hand, I also have an extension (Super Start) that isn't marked as incompatible, but doesn't appear to work (the options won't save, and it's start page can't be reached via the normal means).
Are you using Super Start version 7.2.1(-signed)? I found when using that version opening a new tab will result in a page saying "The address isn't valid"

The version that works is the current 7.4.0.1(-signed), but it requires the editing of install.rdf to add the Pale Moon GUID and version compatibility

As for the other problem of extensions being marked as incompatible I can confirm this even just by installing two of the listed extensions.

Steps to reproduce are, Install "Linkification" and restart then install "Try Again" and restart. Pale Moon will now say that Linkification is incompatible

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-10-07, 21:24

What it says on AMO may not be what it says in install.rdf... I also don't know where you got the Pale Moon compatibility ranges let alone the version number of "27.30.0b1" since you obviously didn't do as instructed and checked the install.rdf. Are these extensions targeting us?

In any event.. As of Tycho.. Firefox compatibility is in limbo.. We aren't going to remove the hack that allows them to be installed but we aren't going to do much for extensions not targeting Pale Moon specifically as is proper practice with a Mozilla-style application such as Pale Moon.

Also, Firefox extension compatibility is evaluated against a locked applicationVersion of 24.9.

You can always get the extension checkCompatiblity and use it to disable compatibility checks at any rate. Though, here is a question.. Does it report them as incompatible and disable them or just says that and they remain enabled and functional?

EDIT: =====================================================================================================

After taking 5 minutes and actually LOOKING at all the extensions' install.rdf files in question.. I have an answer for you.. All these extensions have a maxVersion of 2.0, 3.5, 3.6, or 4.0bsomething.. As a result of the platform refresh in codename "Tycho" we inherited a minor change to the Add-ons Mananger's XPInstall routine that provided minVersion is not newer than current applicationVersion then all extensions with a maxVersion of 4.0 or higher should be considered compatible by default. However, those lower than 4.0 which 4.0bsomething would include along with 3.6 3.5 2.0 and so on are not compatible by default and thus marked as not compatible.

Perhaps, I should look at an enhancement to our Firefox Extension hack to bypass that restriction and just deem all Firefox extensions are compatible.. Period. Will have to evaluate the impacts..

So, ignoring the fact you directly made stuff up with your reporting of compatibility version numbers and not following my direct instructions given for the express purpose of helping us help you help us all.. You have your answer.
Off-topic:
"falsely marking extensions as incompatible" my....