Two quick questions

This board is for discussions, bug reports, etc. for pre-releases of the v27 milestone codenamed "Tycho".

Since the beta phase is over, this board is closed for new posts/topics.
superA

Two quick questions

Unread post by superA » 2016-10-05, 19:28

While in 26.5 release, I can still easily disable websocket, in beta it seems impossible (just like newer FF releases).So, any plans to add this option ?

What are your plans, about an alternative to the current XSS filter ?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Two quick questions

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-10-06, 17:42

Why do you want to disable websockets? It's a widely-used technology and integral to HTML5.

There are currently no plans for an active XSS filter in the browser. If we want to re-implement it, we need help from the original author of the XSS filter (or someone else with a similarly efficient solution that can be integrated).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-10-07, 09:53

Because websocket can breach a firewall and make a lot of other security problems in the past.

So a big security feature from Pale Moon have (currently) no future? Thats bad :thumbdown: I hope the original author help.

superA

Unread post by superA » 2016-10-07, 14:12

What dark_moon said.
Its a huge security/privacy risk, a lot of third party deliver adds and use websocket connections to leak information.

It was removed from FF, in 35 release I think, for some kind incompability with ''hello'', now is hardcoded.
A couple of addons in AMO, claimed that they can disable websocket, they are all jokes.

It's a big benefit for Pale Moon, that a user can disable websocets, please cosinder not taking that choise away.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-10-14, 18:52

I also try that addon but it doesn't work nor create the entry to enable/ disable in dev tools
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -disabler/
The addon install if i add Pale Moon GUID but yea it doesn't work in PM 27 beta 2 nor in beta 1.

Site to websocket support: http://websocketstest.com/