Beta 1 does not start

This board is for discussions, bug reports, etc. for pre-releases of the v27 milestone codenamed "Tycho".

Since the beta phase is over, this board is closed for new posts/topics.
Oneinunity

Beta 1 does not start

Unread post by Oneinunity » 2016-10-04, 22:54

For what it's worth: I gave the Beta 1 a try, but after - apparently normal - installation I got:

Parse failure: undefined entity
Line number 238, column 5:

<broadcaster id="devtoolsMenuBroadcaster_DevAppMgr"
----^

(translated from Dutch, since that's the activated (and apparently working) language pack.)

It does not start up, past this point, so I went back to 26.5.0 (x64)

Pale Moon 27.0 Beta 1 (x64), Windows 10 (1607)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Beta 1 does not start

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-10-04, 23:11

You cannot use language packs... They will not work because they are not compatible, and the browser will not start as a result because it can't find its UI strings it needs.

This has been clearly posted everywhere the pre-releases of v27 are posted...? did you not see this? How could you have missed it? :)

Also, language packs should be marked incompatible -- unless you've disabled extension compatibility checking?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Oneinunity

Unread post by Oneinunity » 2016-10-07, 20:38

I downloaded from the WIP page and I do not see any warnings about language packs there, nor in your announcement about the 7th anniversary and the v.27 public beta, that linked to it. But it makes sense that a v.26 language pack will not work with a v.27 browser. FYI: The error rapport (in Dutch) came before any compatibility checking took place and no, I did not disable compatibility checking. I now disabled the language pack and will give it another try. I'll let you know how it goes.

Oneinunity

Unread post by Oneinunity » 2016-10-07, 21:29

Well, that was interesting. This time it started up quite quickly and everything seemed exactly like on the stable version. Compact moon and all my extensions seemed to work, except two Jetpack/SDK extensions, Awesome screenshot and I don't care about cookies, which got disabled. No big deal. Worse though was that my session was gone and although two previous sessions were present in the session manager, nothing happened when I selected them. I do not use the standard session manager, but the one from Tab Mix Plus. So it seems there's a bug there. Sessions are important to me. I have at the moment 141 tabs and though I probably don't need all of those, I like to be able to recall them. So I went back to v.26.5 again. I did not try to downgrade, but I just uninstalled the beta and reinstalled Pale Moon. So far it seems that everything is back to normal again. The session was empty, but I could select the previous session again and it apparently works. So does everything else, as far as I can tell and it looks like I won't need the FEBE backup I made before I started all this. :) :thumbup:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-10-08, 22:53

I've made sure to clearly state once more with the beta announcements that language packs should not be used.

Still, they should automatically be disabled for everyone who switches because they are not marked as compatible beyond 26.* -- unless you explicitly disabled extension compatibility checking (which also applies to themes and language packs)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Oneinunity

Unread post by Oneinunity » 2016-10-10, 21:36

Thanks, Moonchild. Higly appreciated, as is the whole of the Pale Moon project. :clap:

FYI: I just upgraded to the Beta2 and both previous issues seem resolved now. Just after starting the installation I realized that I once again had forgotten to disable the language pack! :roll: :oops: But nevertheless all went well. The previous session started and the language pack, along with the two incompatible extensions, got automatically disabled. All seems to be working fine now. :thumbup:

So I will continue testing the Beta2. :D Except for Facebook, alas. Since I'm very happy with the new release 15.1 of Social Fixer I'm already almost a month using Firefox with Greasemonkey to visit Facebook. (It does not run on the old Greasemonkey release the is supposed to work with Pale Moon.) For the rest Pale Moon is still my standard browser, so I'm waiting for Mozilla to approve and release the new Firefox extension, hoping that it will work with my beloved Pale Moon. :geek: But well, that's an entire different subject. :arrow:

Thanks for all! :D

Greywool
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Greywool » 2016-10-10, 21:53

Oneinunity wrote:the old Greasemonkey release the is supposed to work with Pale Moon.
Have you tried the "fork" branch of GM?
https://github.com/janekptacijarabaci/g ... y/releases

Oneinunity

Unread post by Oneinunity » 2016-10-19, 22:43

Thanks a LOT for this suggestion, Greywool! I was not aware of any forked versions but after installing version 3.9 and the SFx script it just works! :thumbup: :lol: :clap:

This is GREAT, after having felt forced to use Firefox, only for Facebook. :D