Restored tabs can't be opened

This board is for discussions, bug reports, etc. for pre-releases of the v27 milestone codenamed "Tycho".

Since the beta phase is over, this board is closed for new posts/topics.
rtega

Restored tabs can't be opened

Unread post by rtega » 2016-09-22, 13:22

I have a lot of tabs to be restored (I guess about 30). Upon restart only the first 14 and the last one can be used. All the others don't show their icon and when you click on them they don't do anything at all. I tried disabling all addons but that didn't change a thing. I removed my userChrome.css but that didn't change a thing either. Anybody else seeing this problem on Alpha 2?
Attachments
tabsproblem.png

rtega

Re: Restored tabs can't be opened

Unread post by rtega » 2016-10-04, 09:48

I checked the new beta build. The same problem persists. When you have a lot of tabs that need to be restored from about 20 on the tabs are not accessible and can't be used. Am I the only one seeing this?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-10-04, 11:37

I'm not experiencing this issue. all tabs restore properly (although I did notice the scroll arrow images are missing)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

rtega

Unread post by rtega » 2016-10-04, 11:43

I actually went about and wiped everything and recreated about 150 tabs and the issue disappears. I guess there is a problem with sessionstore.js transitioning from a previous version or from firefox (I copied mine from the latest firefox). I didn't have this issue on the stable palemoon.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2016-10-04, 14:00

Not sure if this is related, but Tab Mix Plus' Session Manager does not seem to work. Tabs will not restore (there's no error messages).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-10-04, 17:47

rtega wrote:I actually went about and wiped everything and recreated about 150 tabs and the issue disappears. I guess there is a problem with sessionstore.js transitioning from a previous version or from firefox (I copied mine from the latest firefox). I didn't have this issue on the stable palemoon.
This was discussed on IRC - for the record for other people following this topic here, it boils down to that you should not expect verbatim copying of files from Firefox to Pale Moon to work, especially not from a later version of Firefox. The only migration path that is supported (and one-way only) is from older versions of Pale Moon (or Firefox <= v24) to later versions of Pale Moon. And that migration will only work for whole profiles, not piecemeal copied individual files. Trying to use copied-in files of an incompatible structure because of version differences can make things break in colorful and unexpected ways.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

BeefJerky

Unread post by BeefJerky » 2016-11-14, 16:36

I am having the same issue with beta 3 as well; only the first 4-10 tabs will restore properly. This is with an upgrade from Pale Moon 26.5.0, and the sessions were created in that version via Session Manager.

In addition to the upgrade, I have tried wiping Pale Moon completely and reinstalling with a new profile. I then installed only Session Manager and copied over the sessions, and the same thing happens. There definitely seems to be a bug somewhere.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-20, 08:13

It would be a bug with session manager in that case. Potentially it tries to feed the browser an incompatible session store.

BeefJerky

Unread post by BeefJerky » 2016-11-20, 08:21

This is the same version of Session Manager that works fine in Pale Moon 26.5.0. This is an identical session that also worked fine in 26.5.0.

If it is an "invalid session," why can 26.5.0 handle it, but not 27b3? I doubt it's an invalid session, but something different in the way 27b3 handles session loading, especially with many tabs.

I would urge you to look into this, because Session Manager is popular plug-in and I have no doubt once 27 is released to the public, there will be many more people like me with similar problems. If it helps, I'd be happy to send you an example session that causes me issues.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-20, 08:40

There is no guarantee that extensions will seamlessly work with the new version of the browser.

If someone wants to fork Session Manager to make a Pale Moon specific version (if allowed by the extension license) then that would be a solution.
As said before elsewhere though: extensions are there to extend browser functionality -- if the browser functionality changes, then the extension will have to be adjusted; this is the direction development has to flow here, not the other way around. We can't revert core code to older functionality just because some extension needs it.

BeefJerky

Unread post by BeefJerky » 2016-11-20, 08:51

Unfortunately, I do not have the knowledge to develop or work on plugins, so I hope someone who does can pickup and make Session Manager work on PM27.

Unfortunately, it's not a plugin I can do without, so if not, I'll be forced to either stick with 26.5.0 or move back to Firefox. The former option leaves me open to security issues in the long run, while the latter does not perform as well. Hopefully it won't come to that, since it really will be a lesser of two evils kind of situation...

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2016-11-20, 18:19

Tab Set Saver is a 'manual' alternative to Session Manager - Tab Set Saver (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... er/?src=ss) - that might be worth investigating. The latest version works without problems in v27.

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2016-11-21, 11:26

I've noticed a similar problem when trying to restore tabs (Ctrl+Shift+T) with PM v27.0.0b3,x64.
It doesn't seem to be related to the number of tabs though.
For the most time, Ctrl+Shift+T works just fine, but sometimes it just won't work at all.
Same thing when navigating my bookmarks..
Sometimes the keyboard accelerators doesn't work.

For the record, I have not encountered the issue where I can't open a successfully restored tab.