No dots extension not working, any equivalent?

This board is for discussions, bug reports, etc. for pre-releases of the v27 milestone codenamed "Tycho".

Since the beta phase is over, this board is closed for new posts/topics.
kosamja
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

No dots extension not working, any equivalent?

Unread post by kosamja » 2016-08-28, 19:34

No Dots extension (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... src=search) doesnt work in palemoon 27, any other way to remove dotted border from palemoon?

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: No dots extension not working, any equivalent?

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-08-28, 20:17

Of course it won't work.. it is a Jetpack extension.. A rather simple one at that.. I will see if maybe I can make a userscript for this to do the same thing..

How this works is merely adding an extra blob of css to remove the dotted outline style that lets you know what link or object is selected/last active. But yeah this is so easy.. It amazes me that someone went to the trouble of writing and packaging an SDK extension..

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-08-28, 20:48

Here is the userscript to do the exact same thing that this unworthy extension did.. Enjoy!

https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/22709-unborder

Besides cleaning up the CSS I ripped out of the extension this is what gets injected as the last element in <head />

Code: Select all

<style id="binoc.software.projects.userscript.unborder" type="text/css">a:active, a:focus, object, canvas, embed, video, audio { outline:none; -moz-outline-style: none; } button::-moz-focus-inner { border: 0; }</style>
Yeah, instead of having EACH AND EVERY ELEMENT WITH RULES I just have two things.. all the normal elements with outline:none; and -moz-outline-style:none; plus the button::-moz-focus-inner .. Shorter and theoretically more performant than the jetpack extension.

kosamja
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by kosamja » 2016-08-28, 21:50

thanks, works good except on buttons.
SnapCrab_No-0002.png
SnapCrab_No-0000_proc.jpg
Could You make it to work on buttons too?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-08-28, 21:57

The CSS I used while collapsed to remove redundancy is identical to what was used by that extension. It will require some extra work to determine if it ever actually worked on buttons to begin with and if it did to see why it is not here..

The caret box is meant to assist with keyboard navigation to show focus on an element. Do note that this will make tabbing around a document next to impossible.

EDIT:

I have updated the script to version 1.1 and added input to the list of style overridden elements. Go into your Add-ons Manager > User Scripts > Select the user script > right click and select Find Updates or Force Find Updates.

kosamja
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by kosamja » 2016-08-28, 22:16

No Dots extension works on palemoon 26, including on buttons
Edit: just tried it again, I was wrong. extension also doesnt remove border on buttons
Last edited by kosamja on 2016-08-28, 22:24, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-08-28, 22:19

Did 1.1 solve the button issue?

kosamja
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by kosamja » 2016-08-28, 22:26

no, but since No Dots extension also doesnt remove border on buttons maybe its not possible to do that.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-08-28, 22:43

It's possible and I think the border on the forum is good to go.. but figuring out every damned element on every site isn't going to be easy or possible.. Regardless.. I have done exactly what the extension did and more.. So...

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-08-29, 10:31

Try this in your usercontent.css :

Code: Select all

a {outline:none !important}
Why? The buttons in question aren't a tags and the relevant states are delt with on them.