Can't crash Tycho

This board is for discussions, bug reports, etc. for pre-releases of the v27 milestone codenamed "Tycho".

Since the beta phase is over, this board is closed for new posts/topics.
ketmar
Lunatic
Lunatic

Can't crash Tycho

Unread post by ketmar » 2016-08-28, 01:28

Tycho is supposed to be alpha quality, and i'm using it for over a week now, and i still can't crash it. and most of my addons works. please, fix this, alpha software should crash on it's own!

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Can't crash Tycho

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-08-28, 04:33

RESOLVED WONTFIX

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2016-08-28, 05:41

ketmar wrote:should crash on it's own!

What do you mean?? Isn't it great that no crashes occur at all! :thumbup: Which tells me we have some good programers on this project, namely MC, Matt A Tobin and trava90. So.....???
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

Andrew Gilbertson

Unread post by Andrew Gilbertson » 2016-08-29, 12:54

ketmar wrote:Tycho is supposed to be alpha quality, and i'm using it for over a week now, and i still can't crash it. and most of my addons works. please, fix this, alpha software should crash on it's own!
If you can't get it to crash, maybe it should be upgraded from alpha status to beta? Or maybe even gamma status? (But then the users might turn into giant green rage monsters - which is entertaining as long as you're far away from them.)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-08-29, 13:05

We will likely exit Alpha Stage once all of our features (mostly FE) related are unbusted from the port. Beta phase will deal mostly with stabilization of said features.. RC phase of course are potential release ready code.

That is kinda the basic software development model.. Just we are spending a lot longer in alpha than we normally would due in part to the port of our front end and the fact we are maintaining two and a half codebases for a minute (also we kinda not always stuck to strict dev versioning during development cycles in the past.. Lots of betas but not many alphas :P).

Davesnothere

Unread post by Davesnothere » 2016-08-30, 20:14

LimboSlam wrote:
ketmar wrote:[an alpha build] should crash on it's own!

What do you mean?? Isn't it great that no crashes occur at all! :thumbup:

Which tells me we have some good programers on this project, namely MC, Matt A Tobin and trava90....
Yes we do have .

But I think that the OP was make joke. :P :lol:

PM27A2 has also been stable for me so far, while using it on and off, and two problems which affected me in 27A1 are confirmed resolved.

Only one extension I have noticed has an issue :

It's Tab Mix Plus, which works, but I cannot bring up the internal interface for saving and restoring TMP's settings, which normally is handy for migrating the many options which it offers.

I suppose I ought to start another thread for this info.

themew

Unread post by themew » 2016-08-30, 23:17

Oooohhhh we're anxiously awaiting PM 27 like a kid on Christmas morning... feels like it's so far away, and then we see it in the repos like a glistening diamond on the mountain top.

Just gotta say amazing work PM Team.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-08-31, 05:36

I gotta say.. I am pretty impressed with how development has been happening with Tycho.. While not everything is perfect yet.. It remains very useable even when half the frontend was busted.. It just showed so much potential as a platform for the future..

The shared platform components do have a few annoyances BUT it also has just enough of those areas we have historically had problems with while still retaining all the foundational support for classical mozilla components that makes it the best possible future for Pale Moon.

Tycho is very much a take-two on what we did two years ago with the benefit of hindsight and is much more than ever a creation by the community and a team of people. Those of us like Travis, Ryan, Antonius32, sugis, my self, and more not listed here (find them and thank them.. Stop reading and do it now.. Then come back!) are all working with common purpose and a common goal. We kinda came into the project at the tail end of 24.x and as 25+ progressed. At that time it was still very much a Moonchild-only thing which it still remains to a great degree as it should be but he isn't any longer alone in in the wilderness with this great effort. A point he made in the rumor control thread.

Pale Moon changes and evolves and it is it's own browser despite what the general public thinks and Tycho is this in spades.. Yes, we re-forked a newer platform codebase but what we have done since March with it is nothing short of miraculous. Also, if you remember when Australis was new, somewhat impossible and yet we are doing it.

Though there are some minor bumps along the way namely the classic toolkit downloads manager and most importantly Jetpack (Add-ons SDK) what remains still screams Pale Moon.. I would argue it also screams traditional Mozilla (not the soulless corporation it is today). Mammon has many faces.. Not just the face of Microsoft Internet Explorer and the soul of The Beast is alive and well here.

ketmar
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by ketmar » 2016-08-31, 05:44

i completely agree. i never expected Tycho to be such usable in such a short time. when i read topic about "using new platform version", i though that it will take at least several years. then suddenly alpha Tycho appears. i waited for some (short) time and decided to give it a go, expecting frequent crashes here and there, and something that is only resembling a browser. and i got almost fully working thing instead! it is amazing. that is exactly what i wrote in starting message: Tycho alpha is more stable and featurefull than many "releases" out there. ;-)

the only thing that slightly annoys me in Tycho is that redeclaring function argument with "let" is error now, not warning. althru this definitely a user bug in his/her JS code, it may break some extensions that used to worked before. actually, it did: it broke my KoreNews and GS. ;-) i think it should be a warning by default, and turns into error only in strict mode. should i create a new topic for this?

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2016-08-31, 06:28

Congratulations on the Alphas. These "Alphas" are more stable than release versions of some software that I've used in the past. I realize there are some items the devs want to add/finish, but what's here is fully stable for me.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-08-31, 09:47

Just FTR: they are "Alpha" because they have known parts of the browser that are simply broken or non-functional that would be important to have work.
An Alpha version of software doesn't mean it has to be a crash-fest! It just means it's early dev, and incomplete.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite