Problem with icon fonts if downloadable fonts disabled Topic is solved

This board is for discussions, bug reports, etc. for pre-releases of the v27 milestone codenamed "Tycho".

Since the beta phase is over, this board is closed for new posts/topics.
superA

Problem with icon fonts if downloadable fonts disabled

Unread post by superA » 2016-08-08, 20:23

Both alfa versions treat fonts differently here than the stable one.
If I uncheck '' allow pages to choose their own fonts..'' ( browser.display.use_document_fonts= 0 ), I have a lot of missing fonts.
Last edited by superA on 2016-08-09, 11:06, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Fonts

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-08-09, 09:52

Kindly provide:
  • A better thread title than "Fonts" :?
  • Standard support information (OS etc.)
  • Examples and steps to reproduce
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

superA

Re: Problem with Fonts

Unread post by superA » 2016-08-09, 11:18

Pale Moon "Tycho" alpha/beta 2 x32, Win7 x32,64, Vista x32, clean profile, no other addons installed than ublockO, just to use its pop up UI
as an example to reproduse among others.

Options/Content/Fonts/Advanced/ ''Allow pages to choose their own fonts,..'' Unchecked.

http://prntscr.com/c3h38m (symbols on the left)

http://prntscr.com/c3h3rl

http://prntscr.com/c3h5lx

GMforker

Unread post by GMforker » 2016-08-09, 12:36

Off-topic:
superA wrote:Options/Content/Fonts/Advanced/
See also attachment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GMforker on 2016-08-09, 12:57, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-08-09, 12:43

Ah, I guess I need to re-implement the change to allow icon fonts even in that situation.

Also, please use one topic for one issue, unless you want to make things harder for us :P
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Problem with icon fonts if downloadable fonts disabled

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-09-07, 16:35

This was already fixed in Tycho. The additional bug mentioned is an enhancement to deal with bad fonts.

If anyone feels the calling, the enhancement is relatively self-contained and not very high risk.

https://hg.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla ... 2036786a92
https://hg.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla ... 7de631a38c

gpower2

Unread post by gpower2 » 2016-09-08, 18:11

Saw the mozilla changesets and I thought I'd give it a try. Just made a pull request, hope I didn't break anything.
Since this is my first pull request on GitHub, please don't be too judgemental...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-09-08, 20:05

gpower2 wrote:Saw the mozilla changesets and I thought I'd give it a try. Just made a pull request, hope I didn't break anything.
Since this is my first pull request on GitHub, please don't be too judgemental...
Thanks for making the PR.
Did you also make sure to build and test your code changes?

gpower2

Unread post by gpower2 » 2016-09-09, 06:11

Unfortunately I don't have a working building environment, since this was my first take with Palemoon's code... :oops:
I surely checked for syntax errors and the code should build 100%, however I don't have a way to test if the changes actually work.
If you could provide me with some links for how to set up a building environment I will test it, since I am interested in "playing" some more with the current codebase.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-09-09, 09:36

Which codebase is this for? 26.x or Tycho because there are some differences in compilers and build toolchain requirements.

gpower2

Unread post by gpower2 » 2016-09-09, 09:41

It's for Tycho codebase (branch master AFTER the big merge).

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-09-09, 09:55

Follow this: http://developer.palemoon.org/Developer_Guide:Build_Instructions/Pale_Moon/Windows

Just replace with MozillaBuild 2.0 or 2.1 and VS 2013.

Also add the following to the mozconfig there..

Code: Select all

ac_add_options --disable-shared-js
ac_add_options --disable-sandbox
making sure not to include..

ac_add_options --enable-shared-js
as I just told you to disable it :P

THAT SHOULD be enough to get you building Tycho.. If not post back.

gpower2

Unread post by gpower2 » 2016-09-09, 11:49

I currently use VS2015 Update 3, would that be a problem/is it tested?
Because VS2015 contains the new Roslyn compiler...

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-09-09, 12:00

No it MUST be 2013.

Roslyn is irrelevant for Pale Moon since we are not a .net application.

gpower2

Unread post by gpower2 » 2016-09-09, 12:05

Since I don't remember if I have VS2013 installed on my dev PC, would it be allright to try and build Palemoon with VS2015?
Also, I see that MozillaBuild has release v2.2, is it compatible or should I stick with v2.1?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-09-09, 12:14

It will not build with 2015.. And it is unknown if the newer MozillaBuild toolchain has what our codebase requires.. Please follow my instructions precisely. I did type them for a reason.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-09-10, 09:30

gpower2 wrote:Since I don't remember if I have VS2013 installed on my dev PC, would it be allright to try and build Palemoon with VS2015?
Also, I see that MozillaBuild has release v2.2, is it compatible or should I stick with v2.1?
MozillaBuild v2.2 might work, but there's no guarantee.

As for compiler versions: unfortunately, MSVC has made breaking changes with each recent release at the code level. Code that compiles in VS2012 will not in VS2013, and code that compiles in VS2013 will not compile in VS2015. With the exception of small/simple programs that don't use the code that got broken with these transitions.

So, to be clear: the master (trunk) branch after the Tycho merge MUST be built with EXACTLY VS2013 (MSVC 12.0)

Also, sorry that you're having this little bump trying to contribute, but you have to understand that we simply can't accept code to our tree that hasn't at least been tested to build and do what it is supposed to be doing. It's just a logical extension of wanting to contribute to a live project that requires a certain level of code quality and shouldn't ultimately create more work for our very small team.

gpower2

Unread post by gpower2 » 2016-09-11, 12:14

Thank you both for your help! :)
I managed to make a successful working Tycho build, including my changes.
I used VS2013 Ultimate with Update 5 with MozillaBuild v2.1 and it took approximately 1hour.

However I had to make some changes in order to get the build to work:
  1. I had to change .mozconfig line "WIN32_REDIST_DIR=$VCINSTALLDIR/redist/x64/Microsoft.VC110.CRT" to "WIN32_REDIST_DIR=$VCINSTALLDIR/redist/x64/Microsoft.VC120.CRT" (since the old line refers to VS2012)
  2. I had to change the file dom\media\gtest\moz.build and remove the "/dom/media/eme" directory from the LOCAL_INCLUDES array, since this path does not exist in current codebase.
While the build completed succesfully and the resulted binary works like a charm, the bug in question still remains. The Fallback Character Encoding list is still empty... :(
The changes I imported from Mozilla are supposed to deal with bad fonts, so I guess they have nothing to do with the character endocing list, but I still don't have a test case in order to see if they fixed what they were supposed to...

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-09-11, 12:23

Sorry.. I missed --disable-eme flag in mozconfig..

Revert the change you made to the moz.build file.. and use

ac_add_options --disable-eme
and of course keep your WIN32_REDIST_DIR change.

I should really duplicate and update the build instructions for windows for those getting a head start with Tycho..

Again, sorry about the oversight.

As an aside, should really make those changed options the default.