More about:config regressions

This board is for discussions, bug reports, etc. for pre-releases of the v27 milestone codenamed "Tycho".

Since the beta phase is over, this board is closed for new posts/topics.
dark_moon

More about:config regressions

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-08-04, 18:46

After this viewtopic.php?f=56&t=12702 i check my settings and found more regressions in about:config.

# full-screen-api.enabled goes back to true if set to false before PM26 upgrade.

And this entries have no default value- are they removed in PM26?:
# security.ssl3.dhe_rsa_des_ede3_sha
# security.ssl3.ecdhe_rsa_des_ede3_sha
# security.ssl3.dhe_dss_aes_128_sha
# security.ssl3.dhe_dss_aes_256_sha
# dom.network.enabled
# network.websocket.enabled

half-moon

Re: More about:config regressions

Unread post by half-moon » 2016-08-04, 21:12

Is there still an option to poison canvas data?

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-08-04, 21:17

Its hidden but works.
Set canvas.poisondata to true.

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2016-08-05, 00:30

dark_moon wrote:Its hidden but works.
Set canvas.poisondata to true.
So basically nothing's changed.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-08-05, 04:45

Did you read the linked thread and my thread?
The topic isn't about the canvas poison option.

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2016-08-06, 12:11

dark_moon wrote:Did you read the linked thread and my thread?
The topic isn't about the canvas poison option.
Yes I did, and yes I know that. Clearly you didn't see me quote your reply to me.

GMforker

Unread post by GMforker » 2016-08-12, 18:23

I suggest that in the initial state:

Code: Select all

media.peerconnection.enabled = false
...until WebRTC is completely removed from Pale Moon (27+).

See also bug #959893

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2016-08-12, 22:17

GMforker wrote:I suggest that in the initial state:

Code: Select all

media.peerconnection.enabled = false
...until WebRTC is completely removed from Pale Moon (27+).

See also bug #959893
As far as i am aware,WEBRTC has never been in pale moon.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-08-13, 01:17

We previously have never built with webrtc.. Except for "Sumozi" which I produced. We are reconsidering WebRTC for Tycho as it is a much better up to date implementation which we do have enabled in the alphas.. As in being built.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2016-08-13, 02:14

Matt A Tobin wrote:We previously have never built with webrtc.. Except for "Sumozi" which I produced. We are reconsidering WebRTC for Tycho as it is a much better up to date implementation which we do have enabled in the alphas.. As in being built.
At the very least, default it to "off". The bug discussion https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=959893 shows some of the privacy implications of webrtc. Firefox is dropping "Hello" https://www.neowin.net/news/firefox-49- ... efox-hello What use-case is there left for webrtc that benefits the end-user as opposed to corporate trackers? Webrtc should be an optional add-on.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2016-08-13, 12:30

Walter Dnes wrote:
Matt A Tobin wrote:We previously have never built with webrtc.. Except for "Sumozi" which I produced. We are reconsidering WebRTC for Tycho as it is a much better up to date implementation which we do have enabled in the alphas.. As in being built.
At the very least, default it to "off". The bug discussion https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=959893 shows some of the privacy implications of webrtc. Firefox is dropping "Hello" https://www.neowin.net/news/firefox-49- ... efox-hello What use-case is there left for webrtc that benefits the end-user as opposed to corporate trackers? Webrtc should be an optional add-on.
Also wasn't the Pale Moon team that made the decision to leave out WebRTC for security reasons?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-08-13, 15:23

The old implementation and spec had major security issues and was also too primitive to be useful to anything wanting to use WebRTC as the spec progressed so it had those going against it.

However, what user benefits? Well, a number of up and coming corporate solutions use WebRTC, as does Google Hangouts and Facebook video chat not to even mention Microsoft Skype for Web. Likely other sites as well.. Google Hangouts at this point and time remain the big one. The ancient Google Talk and Chat NPAPI plugin is ONLY 32 bit and for Windows (maybe Mac but NOT Linux) and is completely deprecated. It isn't even that easy to find the installer for it. In addition, Google has been phasing it's use out and one day won't work anymore to provide what Hangouts need.

Firefox's Hello service is irrelevant except it too used WebRTC so that has no barring here as we don't have it.

Also, WebRTC's hooks into the platform require it to be built with the platform. There isn't a viable NPAPI replacement for it not one that is useful to anyone.. It is invoked using HTML5 and latest javascript technologies directing the multimedia components to do much of the work. So any plugin solution would have to be supported at the service provider level. Also, an extension wouldn't be up to the task.

As, I said, we are evaluating. If the implementation we inherited in Tycho is viable there shouldn't be a reason NOT to use it. If it isn't viable, we will just go back to not having it at all.. So please, don't freak out about it.