PDF not working?

This board is for discussions, bug reports, etc. for pre-releases of the v27 milestone codenamed "Tycho".

Since the beta phase is over, this board is closed for new posts/topics.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: PDF not working?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-08, 13:01

Channel 2012 wrote:Even though it isn't that good at rendering documents, it is still a big timesaver, and I'd hate to see it go.
Sorry to have to disappoint you but the module simply wasn't maintained or mature enough to be acceptable.

The problem is not only that it would "not be as good at rendering documents" (which is an understatement), it also caused more than a few concerns about security -- PDF documents are significantly different from anything else the browser would handle, and throwing together a "viewer" in JavaScript can only get you so far; as well as a browser being an internet-connected application. PDF documents can be encoded many different ways and contain many different kinds of content all in a single package. Any one of those types of content can potentially be a hazard - if the viewer trips over something, it has the potential of having privileged pdf.js context becoming available to whatever content embedded in a PDF. Running content in privileged context is opening the door to remote code execution at browser privilege level on your system.
A plugin, however, would run in the restricted privilege plugin container, so even if it misbehaves there, it can't do much of anything (at most harmlessly crash). There's a good reason why plugins and the NPAPI are such good systems to use for non-native content.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Channel 2012

Bummer

Unread post by Channel 2012 » 2016-11-08, 15:23

Moonchild wrote: ...concerns about security ...
I never had security issues in all my years of use of browsers that implemented pdf.js. I get where you're coming from, but why not just disable it by default and leave it in as an "at the users' risk" type thing?
dark_moon wrote:No! No pdf stuff in a browser!

A browser is a browser and not a pdf viewer. You can download the file and open it with your pdf programm which you like. Simple and secure.
But consider the diversity of the other types of pages and content that we consume with it on a daily basis. Videos, web apps, and evolving web content of all different kinds. Why not pdf too?
JodyThornton wrote:I still use the SumatraPDF plugin. Apparently unsupported, but meh, it works - even in the v27 beta.
In light of what we've heard from the developers, I might have to give it a shot. Does that plugin have a 64bit variant? Does it come with SumatraPDF or is it a separate download?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-08, 17:05

Channel 2012 wrote:I get where you're coming from, but why not just disable it by default and leave it in as an "at the users' risk" type thing?
If it was just that, then I'd maybe consider it (it's quite a serious consideration though; there is real risk there).

But it's not just that.

The module not only poses a security risk, it also doesn't do a particularly good job of what it is supposed to do, and there's nobody to maintain it. All in all it makes it something I don't feel comfortable keeping in the browser, even in a by default disabled state.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Bummer

Unread post by back2themoon » 2016-11-08, 17:08

Channel 2012 wrote:In light of what we've heard from the developers, I might have to give it a shot. Does that plugin have a 64bit variant? Does it come with SumatraPDF or is it a separate download?
Check here. I don't know about x64, but since there is no 64-bit 2.5.2 version I'm guessing you won't find one.

edit: also check here.

Channel 2012

Pee Dee Eff! Pee Dee Eff! Pee Dee Eff!

Unread post by Channel 2012 » 2016-11-08, 17:12

Moonchild wrote: The module not only poses a security risk, it also doesn't do a particularly good job of what it is supposed to do, and there's nobody to maintain it. All in all it makes it something I don't feel comfortable keeping in the browser, even in a by default disabled state.
Ah, but you underestimate the determination and fearlessness of the userbase :D . I can't speak for anybody else, but I know that I can live with a few rendering glitches here and there in exchange for not having to download and open the documents separately or install a plugin.
back2themoon wrote:
Channel 2012 wrote:In light of what we've heard from the developers, I might have to give it a shot. Does that plugin have a 64bit variant? Does it come with SumatraPDF or is it a separate download?
Check here. I don't know about x64, but since there is no 64-bit 2.5.2 version I'm guessing you won't find one.
Bummer. Are there any other good 64bit PDF viewing plugins for Windows that will work with Pale Moon 27?

half-moon

Re: Pee Dee Eff! Pee Dee Eff! Pee Dee Eff!

Unread post by half-moon » 2016-11-08, 20:15

Channel 2012 wrote:
Moonchild wrote: The module not only poses a security risk, it also doesn't do a particularly good job of what it is supposed to do, and there's nobody to maintain it. All in all it makes it something I don't feel comfortable keeping in the browser, even in a by default disabled state.
Ah, but you underestimate the determination and fearlessness of the userbase :D .
The issue with that point is that the userbase (including me) aren't contributing much to Pale Moon's source code, if any at all.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-09, 01:29

If there's so much determination and fearlessness, then why do I keep hearing "But I'm not a coder!" as the staple answer when there is a request for people to get involved?
Not very determined, nor fearless.

And you may be determined in your demanding of something, and fearless in your willingness to take risks when using the browser, but that is hardly the kind of balance we are looking for in Pale Moon. Our user base is substantial; as such, there's an important responsibility to that user base in terms of proper functionality and safety.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2016-11-09, 01:44

Normally, I don't like getting into games with websites, but is there a way to fool a website into thinking that an external "helper program" is a plug-in?
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-09, 11:12

Walter Dnes wrote:Normally, I don't like getting into games with websites, but is there a way to fool a website into thinking that an external "helper program" is a plug-in?
Not that I know of.