PDF not working?

This board is for discussions, bug reports, etc. for pre-releases of the v27 milestone codenamed "Tycho".

Since the beta phase is over, this board is closed for new posts/topics.
cartel
Lunatic
Lunatic

PDF not working?

Unread post by cartel » 2016-08-02, 00:59

http://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-p ... 2075K.html << use 1S2075K Click to view link
http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/realisti ... sm_sch.pdf
Cant get anything

pdfjs.disabled;false
ImageImage

GMforker

Re: PDF not working?

Unread post by GMforker » 2016-08-02, 07:01

cartel wrote:http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/realisti ... sm_sch.pdf (pdfjs.disabled;false)
See also: Applications panel - Set how Firefox handles different types of files - Adding, removing, or editing a download action

But see attachment...
...throws an errors in the Error Console:

Code: Select all

Error: Error: Not allowed to define cross-origin object as property on [Object] or [Array] XrayWrapper
Source File: resource://pdf.js.components/PdfStreamConverter.js
Line: 544

Error: SyntaxError: JSON.parse: unexpected character at line 1 column 1 of the JSON data
Source File: resource://pdf.js/web/l10n.js
Line: 14
And after pressing button "Open With Different Viewer" throws an errors in the Error Console:

Code: Select all

Error: TypeError: sendResponse is not a function
Source File: resource://pdf.js.components/PdfStreamConverter.js
Line: 352
Attachments
pdf.png
Last edited by GMforker on 2016-08-02, 12:20, edited 2 times in total.

cartel
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by cartel » 2016-08-02, 07:34

Thaks for adding that info.
I switch back to v26 temporaraly till this get down the road.

Works great on 26
2015032.jpg
ImageImage

GMforker

Unread post by GMforker » 2016-08-02, 12:20

cartel wrote:Works great on 26
One of reasons:
"Tycho/browser/extensions/pdfjs/" == "Pale-Moon/browser/extensions/pdfjs/" (this folder has not yet been updated)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-08-02, 12:51

We are evaluating options regarding PDF support in the browser. In Pale Moon 25 and 26 this feature was not recommended as we were only minimally maintaining that little piece of the browser and why it was disabled by default. It would be best in any event to use a true PDF application. But we are looking into it.

cartel
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by cartel » 2016-08-04, 09:00

I hope you keep it.
It never gives me trouble, I can read datasheets to repair radios and read service manuals.
I really dont want to use adobe's bloated version or take chances adding more extensions, especially with the 255 exploits.

I guess I could keep an offline version of PM just for that purpose if it boils down to it.
ImageImage

cartel
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by cartel » 2016-10-05, 20:22

any update on this?
ImageImage

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-10-05, 20:39

Yeah.. We haven't done anything about it yet.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2016-10-06, 00:28

cartel wrote:I hope you keep it. It never gives me trouble, I can read datasheets to repair radios and read service manuals.
I really dont want to use adobe's bloated version or take chances adding more extensions, especially with the 255 exploits.
The recommended practice has always been to not use extensions or plugins, but an external reader like Sumatra PDF. No bloat, no Adobe and it will always be faster and safer than any extension (including the browser's own PDF reader).

JodyThornton

Unread post by JodyThornton » 2016-10-06, 01:49

I still use the SumatraPDF plugin. Apparently unsupported, but meh, it works - even in the v27 beta.

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2016-10-06, 08:48

For me it works, but I do not know what you want to achieve (for me, spawning external acrobat reader).
Does it occur only with few files/sites ? if so I had similar problem, check post viewtopic.php?f=37&t=13233
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-10-06, 10:10

Lucio Chiappetti wrote:
For me it works, but I do not know what you want to achieve (for me, spawning external acrobat reader).
Does it occur only with few files/sites ? if so I had similar problem, check post viewtopic.php?f=37&t=13233
They want to use the internal PDF previewer (I can't really call it a reader). Default settings (using file handlers) works.

Created Issue #560 to track the needed changes for this.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2016-10-23, 14:51

The only possible problem would be the very few websites using some sort of embedded PDF viewer which seems to require a PDF plugin - you will get nothing otherwise, not even a download link.

I've only seen two such websites, here's an example. I could only get the .pdf link using one of these methods:

1. Go to Page Info/Media and find the pdf.
2. Go to Page Source and try to locate the pdf link.

Perhaps there's an even quicker way?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-10-23, 18:53

If you need to visit those sites that require a PDF reader to be an actual plugin, then your only option would be to install a PDF plugin.
It's an accessibility problem on the website, in that case.

The internal (pre)viewer has been removed in Issue #570. PDFs are better served by actual full-featured readers (and their plugins, if needed/available) which are available on all platforms, instead of a completely unmaintained js-based component that can only render a fraction of PDF files even close to properly. As an aside it also simplified our licensing since we no longer have to include Adobe's CMap component in the browser.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2016-10-23, 19:46

I agree with the removal of the (pre)viewer, just wondering what would be the quickest workaround for those badly designed websites, without having to install a PDF plugin on the system (which is obviously possible, since the pdf link is lurking somewhere in the background and can be grabbed without a plugin).

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2016-10-23, 19:55

back2themoon wrote:
I agree with the removal of the (pre)viewer, just wondering what would be the quickest workaround for those badly designed websites, without having to install a PDF plugin on the system (which is obviously possible, since the pdf link is lurking somewhere in the background and can be grabbed without a plugin).
Can it be found by going to Ad-block Latitude (if you use it) and clicking "Open blockable items"? Just a thought, as I know the real links to images/audio/video can be found there also.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2016-10-23, 20:06

It can also be found with the methods I described above. Don't know if these pdf-embedders are widely used, but since the removal of the previewer will indeed "break" them, perhaps a quick workaround to show the pdf links to the user could be considered for v27. Just an idea, since the alternatives would be "use another browser", "install Adobe or some other reader" or use methods with could seem advanced to some.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-10-23, 20:28

I don't think these pdf-embed exclusive sites are common at all.
Considering the way embeds are handled, you'll get the following if there's nothing to handle it:
Image1.png
Image1.png (2.56 KiB) Viewed 5234 times
It should be clear that a plugin is needed ;)
Due to the nature of embedded plugin-based content in general, offering a download link from that display would not be an appropriate choice.

Channel 2012

Vote for PDF.JS!

Unread post by Channel 2012 » 2016-11-07, 14:37

If I can say a few words on this, I'd like to point out that pdf.js has been incredibly useful for me, especially with the 64bit version of Pale Moon, for which Acrobat Reader lacks a plugin. Not only is it nice to be free of having to install "yet another plugin", but I find myself using it on a very regular basis (often several times a week). Even though it isn't that good at rendering documents, it is still a big timesaver, and I'd hate to see it go.

Just my thoughts.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-11-08, 08:57

No! No pdf stuff in a browser!

A browser is a browser and not a pdf viewer. You can download the file and open it with your pdf programm which you like. Simple and secure.