Great New Moon... and a few bugs Topic is solved

This board is for discussions, bug reports, etc. for pre-releases of the v27 milestone codenamed "Tycho".

Since the beta phase is over, this board is closed for new posts/topics.
mgagnonlv
Lunatic
Lunatic

Great New Moon... and a few bugs

Unread post by mgagnonlv » 2016-07-23, 17:34

Hello,

I just installed New Moon and have played with it a bit. I started with a new profile, to which I added a few extensions.
It works great, has less compatibility issues than PM 26... and a couple of new quirks.

Menu bar and title bar text in Windows 10
We're back to the same problem as PM 26.0.0 (or 26.3.0?): When the title bar is coloured, the text is black and hard to read. I think you should either implement the same algorithm as in PM 26.3.3 or do as Firefox and use a grey titlebar.

Some Google products work better than with PM 26
  1. Work with the modern interface:
    – Youtube: as far as I see it, we are in HTML5 with the full selection of options, just like with Firefox.
    – Gmail, Google Drive, Agenda, MyAccount, Docs, Sheets, Presentations: seem to work at 100%
    – Google Plus, Hangouts, Photos: look OK, but I have no experience with them
  2. Work OK, but with the older interface (black top bar) : Google search, translate, News.
    One of the side effects of the older interface is that there is no button to choose the other Google products.
  3. Older, limited interface: Google Maps
    Same issues as with PM 25 and 26: Satellite view instead of 3D, and impossible to drag a route through selected points.

Facebook
I make limited use of it, but from what I see, it works correctly, including videos.

Other sites
I have not seen any problems with any of the other sites that I use normally: my bank, my church, other technical information sites, etc.

Extensions handling
Is it still appropriate to declare New Moon as "Firefox 24.9"?
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)

Evil Moo

Re: Great New Moon... and a few bugs

Unread post by Evil Moo » 2016-07-23, 18:18

With regard to the older 'black bar' google interface, I had to reactivate Firefox compatibility mode to fix that (I'm pretty sure I had it active while running version 26, but it was set to false in 27 initially).

I'm guessing this also fixes google maps, as I'm looking at it now and it has 3D functionality available.

Of course this isn't ideal. Google shouldn't be forcing us to give a false useragent string to gain functionality, but I gather that they have been unresponsive when alerted to this issue.

mgagnonlv
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Great New Moon... and a few bugs

Unread post by mgagnonlv » 2016-07-23, 20:46

Thanks. It seems to solve the problems with Google search, translate and maps.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)