Clarifications on nature of "Tycho" Topic is solved

This board is for discussions, bug reports, etc. for pre-releases of the v27 milestone codenamed "Tycho".

Since the beta phase is over, this board is closed for new posts/topics.
Fred Barclay

Clarifications on nature of "Tycho"

Unread post by Fred Barclay » 2016-07-21, 21:23

Seeing as how I am not a steady member of this board, it's entirely possible I missed something and/or am completely confused. :coffee: So apologies in advance...

Up to this point, PM has (I suppose) been based on a particular version of Firefox... right? :? I'm guessing it would have been an ESR release. Of course with Goanna/all of the dev's hard work, the current PM 26 would be very different from the original code base. But would I be correct in assuming that there is a particular version of Firefox that we can point to as the parent of Palemoon?

So when the README.md page for Tycho says that this is a "re-base of the Pale Moon web-browser", does that mean that it is re-based off a particular version of Firefox again? If so, which version is that?
Is this a complete rebase, meaning that Tycho would be a very different beast than the current Palemoon? I.e. will there be a big difference between PM 27 and 26, than there was between PM 26 and 25 (or any other two corresponding PM releases)?

Or is "Tycho" simply a codename for the next upcoming PM release in much the same way as "Sid" is a codename for Debian Unstable?

Sorry if this is confusing; please ask and I'll be happy to (try to) clarify my questions. :)
Thanks!

half-moon

Re: Clarifications on nature of "Tycho"

Unread post by half-moon » 2016-07-21, 23:08

Please note, I'm not a developer so sorry if I say something that is incorrect.
Fred Barclay wrote:Up to this point, PM has (I suppose) been based on a particular version of Firefox... right? :? I'm guessing it would have been an ESR release. Of course with Goanna/all of the dev's hard work, the current PM 26 would be very different from the original code base. But would I be correct in assuming that there is a particular version of Firefox that we can point to as the parent of Palemoon?
Well the front-end code for PM 25 and 26, as far as I'm aware, was forked from Firefox 24 ESR. The back-end (or platform code) code for Pale Moon 25 and 26, was forked from Firefox 31 ESR.
Fred Barclay wrote:So when the README.md page for Tycho says that this is a "re-base of the Pale Moon web-browser", does that mean that it is re-based off a particular version of Firefox again? If so, which version is that?
Yes, and it would be re-based (or reforked?) off of Firefox 38 ESR but with the Front-end code of PM 25/26 being ported over as well.
Fred Barclay wrote:Is this a complete rebase, meaning that Tycho would be a very different beast than the current Palemoon? I.e. will there be a big difference between PM 27 and 26, than there was between PM 26 and 25 (or any other two corresponding PM releases)?
In my opinion, PM 26 was not that much different than PM 25; With that in mind, I would say PM 27 will be (in my opinion) quite different than 26 but more on the back-end level.
Fred Barclay wrote:Is "Tycho" simply a codename for the next upcoming PM release in much the same way as "Sid" is a codename for Debian Unstable?
Yes.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2016-07-21, 23:15

Hi Fred. This two-month old post from Moonchild may also answer some of your questions.

http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12216

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-07-21, 23:23

Pale Moon has been its own thing and not a rebuild of Firefox for many years now. We've forked off -- so we are more like siblings to Firefox than Firefox being a parent.
At most, we can point at common ancestry.

Calling it a "re-base" is the closest term for what we're doing with Tycho -- we're taking our application and renderer/layout code and chunks of Mozilla platform code, and putting them together into a new browser product. The platform code changeover overcomes some major hurdles in terms of web compatibility that have been restrictive for Pale Moon development. If anything we will jump further away from Firefox in how Pale Moon works with this milestone.

The resulting browser will indeed be a completely different beast than the current browser, but most of that will all be under the hood. Any milestone release does have major differences that significantly impact the way the browser operates, in that way it's not different than any other milestone change. That being said though, this will be the most involved milestone in Pale Moon's history.

"Tycho" is simply a codename, a "working title" for the sake of ease during parallel development. It is and will remain Pale Moon :)

Some more information and discussion can be found in the threads "The Future of Pale Moon" and "Idea for a new browser product" on the forum.

@half-moon: I'm afraid you're quite a bit off the mark with what you think different versions of Pale Moon were forked from. Also, v26 has major differences with v25 (See: Goanna). Every milestone is a milestone for a reason.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2016-07-21, 23:46

Moonchild wrote:@half-moon: I'm afraid you're quite a bit off the mark with what you think different versions of Pale Moon were forked from. Also, v26 has major differences with v25 (See: Goanna). Every milestone is a milestone for a reason.
Sorry, I'm not an expert on PM history. Also, what I meant before about PM 26 not being much different than PM 25 was more from the perspective of the end-user.

Fred Barclay

Unread post by Fred Barclay » 2016-07-23, 21:17

Thanks, mates. :D
Moonchild wrote:"Tycho" is simply a codename, a "working title" for the sake of ease during parallel development. It is and will remain Pale Moon
So will PM 28, 29, 30... be "Tycho" before release?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-07-23, 22:22

No.. The codename Tycho will be irrelevant once Pale Moon 27 reaches release. As Moonchild stated.. It is for ease of reference between codebases while Tycho is in development and Pale Moon current continues to be developed on because this is a special situation. It is not like how "Nightly" or "Minefield" before it is used.

Fred Barclay

Unread post by Fred Barclay » 2016-07-24, 01:42

That makes a bit more sense. Sorry, traveling has turned my brain topsy-turvy.
Or maybe it was always that way and I'm just noticing it... :shifty:

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2016-07-26, 16:27

In keeping with the astronomical theme here im assuming "tycho" is named after the danish astronomer tycho brae.........
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-07-27, 00:40

Moonraker wrote:In keeping with the astronomical theme here im assuming "tycho" is named after the danish astronomer tycho brae.........
No, it's simpler. Look up the names of large impact craters on the lunar surface. ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

kormoran

Unread post by kormoran » 2016-07-27, 01:29

Moonchild wrote:
Moonraker wrote:In keeping with the astronomical theme here im assuming "tycho" is named after the danish astronomer tycho brae.........
No, it's simpler. Look up the names of large impact craters on the lunar surface. ;)
...which are all named after famous astronomers of the past, one of them being Tycho Brahe :mrgreen:
Shall we deduce anything from the fact that you choose the codename from one of the most apocalyptic event the moon went through? :think: :think: :lol:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-07-27, 10:36

kormoran wrote:...which are all named after famous astronomers of the past, one of them being Tycho Brahe :mrgreen:
...but the name is from the feature, not the person. :D
It's not a homage to any particular individual.
kormoran wrote:Shall we deduce anything from the fact that you choose the codename from one of the most apocalyptic event the moon went through?
You can deduce anything you want -- but be aware your deductions might be very much off the mark! :twisted:
Let's just say this milestone has a large impact on the browser.