"Classic Downloads Window" does not seem to work Topic is solved

This board is for discussions, bug reports, etc. for pre-releases of the v27 milestone codenamed "Tycho".

Since the beta phase is over, this board is closed for new posts/topics.
Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: "Classic Downloads Window" does not seem to work

Unread post by Tomaso » 2016-10-12, 14:57

Matt A Tobin wrote:How can we improve the downloads pane in Library so that the loss of the Toolkit Downloads UI won't be so sorely missed?
These are my wishes (some have already been mentioned):

1) An option to always show all downloads (library window).
2) An option that makes sure that the library window is launched in the background (minimized).
3) An option to disable that animated arrow that pops up whenever you start a new download.
4) An option to preserve the original last modified date for downloaded files.
5) Batch downloading (yeah, I know this is a long shot :) )
Last edited by Tomaso on 2016-10-12, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-10-12, 15:14

Tomaso wrote:5) Batch downloading (yeah, I know this is a long shot :) )
Too long of a shot - I defer you to actual download managers for that.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

RedRamGT
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by RedRamGT » 2016-10-13, 17:31

It would be good to have an option to download files and preserve the original timestamp of the files, that might be a good "future objective". Even if it was something that could be toggled in "about:config", I have to think a lot of people would use it.

That could also be a good "feature" to tout in Pale Moon, too :-)

I have found that the"DownThemAll!" (version 2.0.18) extension works on Pale Moon 27.0.0b2 - and will preserve the timestamp for downloaded files (except for direct downloads, such as right-clicking on JPG files to save them). This could be a good alternative to the "Preserve Download Modification Timestamp" extension that no longer works on Pale Moon 27.

I don't know if "DAOWAce" is following this thread... "DownThemAll!" works with both Pale Moon 26 and Pale Moon 27 - so it's likely safe to use, if you would like to preserve the timestamps for files you download.

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2016-10-14, 14:16

DAOWAce wrote:
Matt A Tobin wrote:You will get your UI either built in or in extension form. I will make sure of it because I too shall not go without.
Thank you.
This is good news because I always use Classic Downloads window in daily basis.

DAOWAce

Unread post by DAOWAce » 2016-10-17, 03:08

RedRamGT wrote:I don't know if "DAOWAce" is following this thread... "DownThemAll!" works with both Pale Moon 26 and Pale Moon 27 - so it's likely safe to use, if you would like to preserve the timestamps for files you download.
I'm following.. I just don't really check things very often.

I used to use DTA in the past (many years) with Firefox, mainly to download from slow web servers by opening multiple connections and sometimes for mass downloading of links, but have since long gotten rid of it and have no plans to use it (or any download manager) again.

Thanks for the info though.

Kumba

Unread post by Kumba » 2016-10-26, 08:08

AFAIK, the classic downloads window depended on something on the backend called "ToolkitUI", and the Mozilla devs deprecated and removed that entire framework quite a few Firefox versions ago, citing their usual fairy-tale excuses. My guess is if Moonchild has been using any of the more recent Mozilla codebase for things, I suspect the removal of ToolkitUI finally caught up. It had a good run, I guess, but as Q once told Picard, "All good things must come to an end".

JodyThornton

Unread post by JodyThornton » 2016-10-26, 13:54

I've been wishing for a long time to find method (by extension or whatever) to restore the long gone progress windows for each download (ala SeaMonkey or K-Meleon). Even Firefox has a shortage of methods here.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-10-26, 14:08

JodyThornton wrote:I've been wishing for a long time to find method (by extension or whatever) to restore the long gone progress windows for each download (ala SeaMonkey or K-Meleon). Even Firefox has a shortage of methods here.
Download manager extensions usually have this option. DownthemAll at least does.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2016-11-21, 15:25

The text for the time remaining counter, on the Downloads button in the Navigation Toolbar, doesn't detect theme colors.
With my current settings, it's almost impossible to make out!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-21, 16:21

Tomaso wrote:The text for the time remaining counter, on the Downloads button in the Navigation Toolbar, doesn't detect theme colors.
With my current settings, it's almost impossible to make out!
Please open an issue on github