"Classic Downloads Window" does not seem to work Topic is solved

This board is for discussions, bug reports, etc. for pre-releases of the v27 milestone codenamed "Tycho".

Since the beta phase is over, this board is closed for new posts/topics.
RedRamGT
Moon lover
Moon lover

"Classic Downloads Window" does not seem to work

Unread post by RedRamGT » 2016-07-20, 19:40

I checked the "Use the classic downloads window" option, but it does not seem to work.

Everything else I've tried so far seems to work okay - Good Work!!

I'm running Windows-7 32-Bit Professional, with the 27.0.0a1 and no extensions or other options set.

Thank You!

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: "Classic Downloads Window" does not seem to work

Unread post by trava90 » 2016-07-20, 19:45

Confirmed. Checking "Use the classic downloads window" in the preferences throws the following in the error console:

Code: Select all

Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004001 (NS_ERROR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED) [nsICacheService.visitEntries]"  nsresult: "0x80004001 (NS_ERROR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED)"  location: "JS frame :: chrome://browser/content/preferences/advanced.js :: gAdvancedPane.updateActualAppCacheSize :: line 242"  data: no]
Source File: chrome://global/content/bindings/preferences.xml
Line: 759

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-07-20, 20:00

The whole downloads/cache UI needs serious work (because cache v2, http v2, etc.) - I'm making headway with it but the default (panel) UI has priority right now.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-08-25, 15:39

The classic downloads window is completely incompatible with the back-end. I've disabled it; it doesn't look likely that it can be restored in the new milestone.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

eskaton
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by eskaton » 2016-08-25, 16:04

That's a bummer. For users that currently have the classic download window selected, will the update to 27 uncheck that option so that we're not selecting an option that won't display?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-08-25, 17:14

I wouldn't count it out for a possible return but it would have to be totally rewritten to work with the JSDownloads backend. I personally much prefer the toolkit downloads window and I am not particularly happy that it is busted.. But there are bigger fish to fry than one legacy downloads UI.. I am sure it will be gotten to eventually if someone gets bored and there isn't a more pressing matter to deal with.. It just isn't slated as a blocker for Tycho's release.

As for the preference? The preference should be no-op but the gui checkbox will be removed from the Options/Preferences window by release.

In any event, I do want you to know that we all understand your disappointment over the at least theoretically temporary loss of this alternative/secondary UI for downloads.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-08-25, 17:36

Ctrl-J or selecting downloads will bring up the library window with downloads which is still close to the toolkit UI. The option has been disabled and UI controls have been commented out for the time being, to either reinstate if we can or otherwise clean up later on if we can't. I prefer the toolkit window myself, but it really is legacy code that relies on parts of the back-end that simply aren't present anymore and can't be restored. The only way this is going to work is a rewrite for the JS downloads API.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-08-25, 17:44

Heck, maybe we should focus on improving the Library window's downloads pane.. Most issues I know of with downloads in the Places UI is that it just isn't quite as useful as the toolkit window was.. Maybe some missing display info or missing functionality.. Likely also, many download extensions couldn't deal with it..

So perhaps it would be to our advantage to enhance the UI that is actually fully operational than rehash and rewrite the UI that is hopelessly busted. Solve everyone's legitimate griefs about downloads in both the toolbar button pane and the Places UI (Library) pane.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-08-25, 21:11

Matt A Tobin wrote:Most issues I know of with downloads in the Places UI is that it just isn't quite as useful as the toolkit window was.. Maybe some missing display info or missing functionality..
Not entirely sure what you are referring to. The library downloads pane gives just as much information as the toolkit window and in a similar layout. it also includes search like the toolkit window and in all respects is a perfectly-matched replacement -- with the only downside being that the window itself is a little larger because of the tree view on the left and controls at the top.

Also, not having the toolkit window does away with having 2 separate download lists in the browser.

RedRamGT
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by RedRamGT » 2016-08-26, 12:34

The primary reason I switched from Firefox to Pale Moon is the "Classic Downloads Window". I use the "Preserve Download Modification Timestamp" extension (by Sparky Bluefang) to keep the original file date and time for downloads, and that seems to only work with the Classic Downloads Window.

I recall reading a Pale Moon review a couple years ago, where Moonchild touted the Classic Downloads Window as a feature of Pale Moon - and a good reason for people to switch from Firefox to Pale Moon, since Firefox had stopped using it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-08-26, 12:49

RedRamGT wrote:Moonchild touted the Classic Downloads Window as a feature of Pale Moon - and a good reason for people to switch from Firefox to Pale Moon, since Firefox had stopped using it.
The former, yes. It has been a feature and giving people the choice.
The latter, no, because it's never been a compelling enough feature that, in the overall picture, would be a reason to switch.

Of course interpretations of what was said can and will differ. Priorities for some people will put a heavy emphasis on this legacy feature, but it's been no more than just a choice with valid and equal alternatives available.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2016-08-26, 17:10

I'm really gonna miss this feature too.
You should be careful not to remove too many of PM's strong points.
With the removal of the classic download window, not to mention dropping Jetpack support, I fear that some users might move to alternative browsers, like SM.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-08-26, 17:51

So is everyone going to throw a fit over this as well?

I really hope not. Let us be more constructive.

Without saying how upset you all are with us about this window.. What exactly are the reasons one would prefer this UI over the pane in Library?

How can we make it more useful and viable for everyone? More to the point, how can we make it acceptable?

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2016-08-26, 18:04

Personally, I guess that I can live with the modern download window..
But how about accommodating us with a plugin that would allow us to continue using Jetpack extensions?
Now, that would make my day!
..although, I realize from your previous posts, that this will require a lot of work.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-08-26, 18:10

Re: Jetpack -- RESOVED WONTFIX

Please stay on topic with the question at hand. How can we improve the downloads pane in Library so that the loss of the Toolkit Downloads UI won't be so sorely missed?

eskaton
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by eskaton » 2016-08-26, 19:31

I was going to ask if the History, Tags, and Bookmarks could be completely removed from the Library screen. But upon using it a bit, I see that they've combined it so the only way to access any of those features is through the Library.

Can it be set so the Library window pops up to the Downloads section when initiating a download? That's how the classic download pane works in PM26 (for me at least).
I've hidden the Downloads arrow in PM27 as I find it a clutter to have something taking up space and only useful when I'm downloading something. I prefer the way the classic download function would display the information in the status bar when a download was in process and then disappear once completed.
As the status bar isn't functioning in PM27 just yet, I don't know how that will or won't be any different. Any comments on how that will function in regards to downloads?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-08-26, 22:08

We should be able to accomidate popping up the window like classic did.. That should be fairly trivial.. As for the status widget that was provided by s4e dirived code.. That tidbit is rather busted and may be sometime before it is restored.. Not quite a blocker..

Thank you seriously for your insights :)

win7-7
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by win7-7 » 2016-09-19, 13:21

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... w/versions

Latest version of add-on works well with Tycho with add-on compatibility check disabled of course to get install first. How about integrating it with core? It seems to be based to Download.jsm and js so you wouldn't need to rewrite all code if you decide to integrate this add-on to core and add-on also has MPL 2 license so license shouldn't be problem. Personally I prefer Library over window/download manager but customization and options are always good so I support return of download manager as option despite fact that I personally prefer library.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-09-19, 13:51

I'd love this more if it wasn't bootstrap.. Yeah it does work fine.. but reverse engineering it from bootstrap back to plain old toolkit for potential inclusion would take some work. In some ways it is superior to the original toolkit version.. You know.. beyond actually working.

Someone should contact the developer of this extension and see if they would support us directly. If not I might fork it and do some additional tweaks as needed.

win7-7
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by win7-7 » 2016-09-19, 18:14

Mattobin what way you would want to go forward with this? Would you want to make this core feature as bundled add-on and take bugfixes from dev in case he provides support?

I need to know what you plan to do in case developer would be willing to provide support.

https://bitbucket.org/ungram/downloads_ ... tatus=open

I could open issue there and ask if he has time and/or willingness to make Tycho specific XUL/traditional toolkit version of add-on and provide bugfixes as needed. I'm not sure however if he is willing to as he has commented in AMO earlier that he isn't willing to make E10s XUL version for example and he is currently trying to get Mozilla implement necessary APIs to make add-on webextension.