Linux alpha and stable release together?

This board is for discussions, bug reports, etc. for pre-releases of the v27 milestone codenamed "Tycho".

Since the beta phase is over, this board is closed for new posts/topics.
ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Linux alpha and stable release together?

Unread post by ron_1 » 2016-07-18, 13:21

I would like to use/test the Linux alpha 27 with the simple "extract and run" method. But I also have the latest stable release installed via the installer. Can I use the alpha without messing anything up with the installed stable version? Thanks.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: Linux alpha and stable release together?

Unread post by trava90 » 2016-07-18, 14:32

The alpha will not touch your existing version (provided of course you do not extract it to /opt and overwrite the stable version). It WILL however, use your existing profile. I personally haven't had a problem switching between v26 and v27 with the same profile, but other people have reported issue so it's not recommended/use at your own risk.

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2016-07-18, 14:34

Do not know if it applies to your specific case but ...
... when I get a new version I usually (1) run it from the place where it was built without "installing" it in /usr/bin; (2) make a backup copy of the entire content of the place where my "profile" is stored (e.g. cd ~/.moonchild productions/pale moon ; tar cvf ~/saved.palemoon.tar . ; (3) move the content of such place (typically the somefunnycode.default directory) offline ... this way I can run the new version on a fresh profile and see it there is something I do not like or I like though I did not use it before; (4) delete or rename or move offline the new profile and re-instate the old profile ; (5) run the new version on the old profile and see if there is any problem.

Usually I do not let the two versions coexist ... otherwise they might update some files in the profile which the other won't like. Either I'm happy with the new one and get rid of the old one and of the old backup (and softlink it in /usr/bin), or I fully revert to the old version (restoring the profile from the backup) until I have finished experimenting (or I need to work with the stable one until I have time to solve the eventual problems).
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2016-07-18, 14:49

trava90 wrote:
It WILL however, use your existing profile.
Is there anyway around that, short of moving/renaming/etc., my current profile? I'm using ABL 3.0.3.1 on my installed version and it looks like it isn't compatible with Pale Moon 27.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-07-18, 15:02

You can use the commandline switch to specify a directory to store a profile in. Your best bet is to simply backup your Pale Moon 26 profile.

As for ABL.. As I stated in the other thread.. 3.5 Public Beta will work on both versions perfectly. You should be using that as that will be the next major version of ABL.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2016-07-18, 15:46

Echoing Tobin, start Pale Moon from the command line using "palemoon -p" (minus quotes) will give you the option to create a new profile (and select which profile to load at startup). I also suggest making a backup of your current profile, just in case you do run into problems.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-07-18, 15:49

Make sure to check (or uncheck) so that it asks you everytime you start. If you want to run both versions at the same time (but on different profiles) use the -no-remote switch.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2016-07-18, 18:26

Okay, so if I go this route, I can use both at the same time with different profiles. But here's the question. Can this be done without being asked which profile to use by both the stable 26 and alpha 27? I'm a little bit "iffy" on the instructions. Thanks for your help.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2016-07-19, 02:09

When you first start Pale Moon with the -p switch, there's a "Always use selected profile without asking" option near the bottom. If that option is unchecked, both versions will ask which profile you'd like to use at startup (you don't need to use the -p switch every time). I created a new profile named "Tycho" for v27 (obviously), while "Default" remains used with v26. With the "Always use" option unchecked, it makes it easy for me to switch between the 2 versions at will without accidentally loading the wrong profile for either one.

EDIT: Added a couple screens. Top screen displays when starting 26.3.3, and bottom screen is displayed when starting 27.0.0a1:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.