Problem with Self-Destructing Cookies addon

This board is for discussions, bug reports, etc. for pre-releases of the v27 milestone codenamed "Tycho".

Since the beta phase is over, this board is closed for new posts/topics.
dark_moon

Problem with Self-Destructing Cookies addon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-07-16, 15:03

With v27 Self-Destructing Cookies (version 0.4.9 stop to work)

I try then to install other versions which require firefox 24 too but not one works and i get only the message the addon can't be installed because its not compatible.
Is the useragent for AMO correct? (default without firefox compatibility mode):
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:24.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/24.9 (Pale Moon)

dark_moon

Re: Problem with Self-Destructing Cookies addon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-07-16, 17:59

Mabye the problem is Pale Moon is calling "New Moon" ?
newmoon.png
Can this please be changed back in the next build?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wost_

Unread post by wost_ » 2016-07-16, 19:15

Self-Destructing Cookies is dependant on Mozilla's Add-on SDK and it won't work because its support has been removed from Pale Moon 27 as far as I know.

I have already tried to bundle SDK's libs with my own extension, actually the cfx tool packed them all automatically inside the .xpi file, but it didn't work. I checked bootstrap.js and it looks like there is a mechanism for loading libraries from inside the .xpi file but it fails when requesting cuddlefish.js. Initially it seemed to be loaded from internal browser libraries but there is no such file anymore. I've tried to hardcode its custom path but even after loading this file there are tens of errors in the console so I gave up. I don't know if there is any method to easily revive SDK based extensions.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-07-16, 20:57

Thats realy bad.
Its the best cookie addon.

I will ask the dev for support.

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2016-07-16, 21:37

Yes this sucks!
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

superA

Unread post by superA » 2016-07-21, 14:00

Have you tried version 0.4.4.1 ?

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2016-07-21, 14:26

I am using Self-Destructing Cookies ver. 4.9 and it works fine but am not using the 27 alpha, I am on ver 26.3.3.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-07-21, 14:55

@superA: You mean Version 0.4.4-pre1? Because a 0.4.4.1 doesn't exist.
Doesn't work too. No icon and way to manage it. Only the addon settings under about:addons works, but without the buttons at bottom.
TwoTankAmin wrote:I am using Self-Destructing Cookies ver. 4.9 and it works fine but am not using the 27 alpha, I am on ver 26.3.3.
The thread is about Pale Moon 27. Yes the addon works in 26.3.3 but not with 27 and thats the topic is about.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-07-21, 15:49

This extension is a Jetpack SDK extension and thus is incompatible with Tycho. The extension will have to be rewritten to use supported technologies such as pure Toolkit or Bootstrap.

As a general aside, Jetpack extensions will install if they satisfy version requirements but will not function what-so-ever. The Add-ons SDK and it's technologies are not supported any longer in Pale Moon going forward. You can find out if an extension is Jetpack-based by viewing the source on AMO or cracking it open with a Zip capable program and looking for package.json and/or harness-options.json at the root of the XPI file.

superA

Unread post by superA » 2016-07-23, 08:41

Sorry for the late reply.
I mean Version 0.4.4.1-signed.
Its the only version that works after installation in a clean profile but doesnt after a browser restart. Sometimes it can not be installed.
The interesting thing here is that if you use a 26.3.3 clean profile and turn extensions updates off at the begining the only version of the SDC that can be installed is the 0.4.4.1-signed.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-07-23, 09:55

Today i get a answer from the dev:
SDC is just a spare time project for me and lately I've been quite busy
with other stuff. I can barely find the time to keep SDC compatible with
new versions of Firefox. This means, that there will be no rewrite of SDC
to make it compatible with upcoming Pale Moon versions, sorry.
So can anybody help here to get this addon work again?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-07-23, 17:26

dark_moon wrote:Today i get a answer from the dev:
SDC is just a spare time project for me and lately I've been quite busy
with other stuff. I can barely find the time to keep SDC compatible with
new versions of Firefox. This means, that there will be no rewrite of SDC
to make it compatible with upcoming Pale Moon versions, sorry.
So can anybody help here to get this addon work again?
Did you not read what I posted? All Jetpack/Add-ons SDK extensions will not function in Tycho.. Ever. They must be rewritten to use standard Toolkit or Bootstrap technologies.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-07-23, 18:14

I would say you didn't read my post.

I ask the dev to support Pale Moon 27 and post all details i have, even that the addon needs a rewrite.
Because the dev told me what i post i ask here if anyone can help.

So whats exactly is your problem?
If you know how to do it, then please build the addon for Pale Moon 27.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-07-23, 18:22

dark_moon wrote:I would say you didn't read my post.

I ask the dev to support Pale Moon 27 and post all details i have, even that the addon needs a rewrite.

If you know how to do it, then please build the addon for Pale Moon 27.
You would need to rewrite it from scratch. None of the code from an SDK extension is useable. It would be a new extension that does the same thing. Why not educate yourself and work on writing a replacement extension for everyone to enjoy?

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2016-07-23, 18:37

dark_moon wrote:I would say you didn't read my post.

I ask the dev to support Pale Moon 27 and post all details i have, even that the add on needs a rewrite.

If you know how to do it, then please build the add on for Pale Moon 27.
I don't think that's ever going to happen and that's what Matt A. Tobin was trying to say.
Besides, it's not his job to satisfy our wants in this manner. :roll:

No one in the Pale Moon Development team has the time to remake old Jetpack add on's.
We as users are going to have to make a choice on what is more important to us as of version 27.
Either stay with 26.3.3 and keep our add on's or upgrade and
learn to do without the ones the add on dev's have no time to re-write
or learn to code. :crazy:

For me it's a no brainer even if I was using W7. I cannot imagine having to use my browser without all the wonderful add on's that I have at
my disposal. It's one of the reasons I came to Pale Moon but not the biggest. Pale Moon is like my favorite car. I have added all the cool stuff
I could, but the next model does not support all of them. I will stick with the older model so I can enjoy all my cool stuff.

This is a choice that every one of us will have to make. I'm ok with that. But I think that the response you got from the add on dev is
not going to be the first or the last. I hate to be nostalgic but the era of mass great add on's is almost gone. There will be some new
ones but I don't think it will ever match what has been. For those moving on with the latest versions, you will have to live without. :ugeek:

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-07-23, 18:51

Very few casualties are gonna result from loss of Jetpack. This one just happens to be one. It would have been nice to have Jetpack extensions continue to just work but it just isn't realistically feasible with what we are doing. This has been mentioned as a possible outcome from the first post regarding the future of Pale Moon.

In actuality the bulk of Jetpack extensions are nothing more than simple buttons that control a pref or about 800 youtube downloaders. Jetpack really wasn't something everyone used for the more complex extensions.. But there are a handful of exceptions and SDC is one of them. It is a hard decision to drop functionality and I tried everything I could to get a viable working SDK that worked with both our frontend end the backend..

On a technical level there is NOTHING jetpack offered that couldn't be done via supported means in Toolkit.. So while we would lose those handful of extensions there always remained the possibility someone could rewrite it and get exactly the same functionality. It should be noted that there are thousands of Toolkit and Boostrap extensions that aren't affected by this.

As for the whole end of mass great add-ons thing.. It is only the end if you guys say it is.. The support is there and extensions don't just materialize out of the ether.. You have to write them.. So, do that. The Add-on ecosystem for Pale Moon is only as diverse as you guys make it.

As for choosing to stay on old versions of Pale Moon.. This is at your own risk.. You will not get security updates for enhancements and bug fixes. Basically, you are on your own.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-07-23, 20:27

Alright, lets see what the future give us.

Thrawn

Unread post by Thrawn » 2016-07-25, 01:25

Matt A Tobin wrote:None of the code from an SDK extension is useable...On a technical level there is NOTHING jetpack offered that couldn't be done via supported means in Toolkit.
So...Jetpack offered a 100% incompatible way to write the same thing?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-07-25, 10:47

Thrawn wrote:
Matt A Tobin wrote:None of the code from an SDK extension is useable...On a technical level there is NOTHING jetpack offered that couldn't be done via supported means in Toolkit.
So...Jetpack offered a 100% incompatible way to write the same thing?
Yep.. It was a good idea when it started but that good concept was ruined the moment the UX team got a hold of it and it was integrated into the codebase. In it's orginal form it was both backwards and forwards compatible because every SDK extension shipped with the SDK in it. Only a huge change would be problematic like a huge change in behavior of the underlying code. But then Firefox UX team got a hold of it and treated it as any other part of the codebase making huge incompatible changes from version to version tied directly to Firefox front end and Gecko back end. Defeating the whole point of an SDK.

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2016-07-25, 17:29

Cookie Whitelist With Buttons version-2.2.1.1 and the "Self-Destructing Cookies" add-ons both use the same browser cookie files. Thus, Cookie Whitelist can serve as almost a one-for-one replacement for Self-Destructing Cookies, without loss of cookie data or additional configuration. However, you will lose some features of Self-Destructing Cookies, such as: the animated icon, the deletion of session cookies when the webpage is closed (rather than when the browser is closed), and deleting unwanted flash cookies.

For my use, the Self-Destructing Cookies and Cookie Whitelist add-ons have been replaced long ago with CookieKeeper. (A link to CookieKeeper can also be found on the Pale Moon add-ons site). The latest versions of CookieKeeper appear fully compatible with Pale Moon (including Pale Moon Tycho), Firefox, SeaMonkey, and Thunderbird. CookieKeeper can also import or export its configuration (use csv format, rather than json)-- either as backup or to move data between different computers or browsers.
cookiekeeper-options.jpg
cookiekeeper-menu.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.