To what does Pale Moon sync? Topic is solved

Anything to do with the Pale Moon Sync service.
TJ-287
Moongazer
Moongazer

To what does Pale Moon sync?

Unread post by TJ-287 » 2022-05-24, 21:10

I have an Android device on which I've been using Pale Moon (v. 25.4.1; I know it's not an official build) and need to save bookmarks before a factory reset and probably update but also general data back-up, so unless I root around with ADB or save them one at a time with a 3rd-party app, I'm looking at using PM Sync.

My worry is that it will "sync" to the public computer on which I installed PM Portable simply for setting up the Sync account, which had no bookmarks, history, etc. and which has also since been removed, of course, and delete everything on my Android, which is the way I understand some services do it; there's one that's the boss or parent, and everything else is just an drone/extension or child of it. Obviously for me, the mobile is the principal device.

Is that how PM operates, or is it egalitarian, aggregating everything from various devices and sources?

I can maybe do a test with History which is somewhat expendable, but I'd rather know fully, ahead of time before doing anything.

Thanks.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: To what does Pale Moon sync?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-24, 21:30

In default operation, Pale Moon sync will merge data, not overwrite it. Only if you decide to "reset" sync, you will have the option to overwrite one or the other (and even in that case merging is the default).
i.e.: bookmarks, passwords, form data and history will become the aggregate of all synced devices. Only "tabs on other devices" has a bit of a special way of handling it in that it won't make it a huge single collection of open documents one every device.
Of course it's always good to make a profile backup before you use it if you're not confident, and you can try it out with just history, sure.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

TJ-287
Moongazer
Moongazer

Re: To what does Pale Moon sync?

Unread post by TJ-287 » 2022-05-24, 22:14

Thanks very much, Moonchild. I'm a little more confident now, going into this.

Definitely, I would love to make a profile backup (and snag all my bookmarks, etc. in the process?), but I haven't found any way to do this on the Android fork. (Oh, unless you mean via ADB which I mentioned, but I haven't yet installed an application for that yet, and since I'm maybe going to reset out of concerns over malware... :| And so that's why I'm just going to sync.) I'd use one of the 3rd-party programs like Bookmark Folder and have them as a text or HTML file, but like I mentioned, I'd have to do it one bookmark at a time, manually, because none of them have been able to do it automatically, en-masse, even with PM selected as default browser in them. (Advice or insight welcomed, if any.) An import/export feature like that would be really great to find on a browser.