Password reset problem

Anything to do with the Pale Moon Sync service.
Vladimir_ Valsky
New to the forum
New to the forum

Password reset problem

Unread post by Vladimir_ Valsky » 2020-11-19, 13:09

I want to sync a new device.
I have physical access to my old device. Unfortunately, after a power failure, it is inoperative and I cannot use it.
I saved my recovery code, but I can't remember my password. I tried to reset my password but got an error message. Most likely, the password reset function is not working.
Is it possible to restore access to synchronization?
Thanks for any ideas and any help.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Password reset problem

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-11-20, 00:02

Resetting your password through the sync server is currently not possible because the sync server software doesn't have a self-serve password reset function implemented (it's one of the two main open issues still left on the server software we use).
Unfortunately you need both your password and your recovery key to access any synced data. The server itself has zero knowledge of your actual password (only a hash is stored) or your key (it's never transmitted to the sync server)
You can reset your password from within the browser, but you need to have an operable browser and profile for that. If you can salvage the browser profile from the crashed machine, then you can do this on a working system with that Pale Moon profile. If you have access to that profile data, then it's also possible to recover your password from there from the password manager in Pale Moon, so you don't necessarily have to reset it in that case ;)
Lacking that, there's only the option to start from scratch with a new account.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Vladimir_ Valsky
New to the forum
New to the forum

Unread post by Vladimir_ Valsky » 2020-11-21, 15:18

I want to recover my bookmarks and passwords. Did I understand correctly that I cannot reset the account password myself? But maybe it is possible for the server administration?
Account data recovery is of great value to me, unlike a new account.
Or is that also impossible?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-11-21, 15:29

If your profile on the crashed machine is lost then things become more difficult.

I can manually reset your account password in the database, but you'll have to send me a private message with your sync account e-mail address in that case.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite