Server Quota Topic is solved

Anything to do with the Pale Moon Sync service.
NigelUK

Server Quota

Unread post by NigelUK » 2020-01-07, 14:17

Hi - firstly, I'm thick, so need simple explanations please!

I'm getting this message at the bottom of the screen -

"You are approaching the server quota. Please review which data to sync." - I then get "You are currently using 26.9 MB"

If I then uncheck "History" which is using 26.7 MB, what exactly happens? Do I lose my History?

I also use Pale Moon on my laptop which is currently switched off, but in the evenings both machines are logged in.

I looked on the Forum & found PlacesCleaner mentioned but that appears to no longer exist - not that it's likely I'd have known how to use it.

I'm sorry, but I truly don't understand what's happening, if anyone can help me through this, I'd be very grateful. :?

Thank you for your time.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Server Quota

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-01-07, 14:26

NigelUK wrote:
2020-01-07, 14:17
"You are approaching the server quota. Please review which data to sync." - I then get "You are currently using 26.9 MB"
This is a warning given by the Pale Moon Sync server that you are close to what each user is allowed to store on the server for synchronizing.
NigelUK wrote:
2020-01-07, 14:17
If I then uncheck "History" which is using 26.7 MB, what exactly happens? Do I lose my History?
No, but your various machines will no longer have history synchronized in that case. Your history will still be stored locally but visited sites won't be known to your other devices.

You can either switch off the category or clean up your history and remove stale/old entries from it to reduce the size of the database.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

NigelUK

Unread post by NigelUK » 2020-01-07, 14:29

Thank you for the prompt reply! So do I need to go into "History" and manually delete old entries or is there a quick way to do that?

I'm sorry to be a nuisance.

Added later - I've removed about half of my History entries, I'll guess that's enough for now & at least I know what to do if/when it happens again.

Thank you for your time, Moonchild. :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-01-07, 16:06

There are some extensions you can use to regularly clean out old history entries.
I personally use PlacesCleaner 0.42.1 since it is simple, easy to schedule, and allows selections combined with date last visited and number of visits to keep likely-more-important sites in history.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

NigelUK

Unread post by NigelUK » 2020-01-07, 17:12

I mentioned that I'd tried to find that extension, but every link I clicked on in other threads took me to "Page can't be found" (words to that effect).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-01-07, 20:00

For your convenience:
PlacesCleaner@sto.tw.xpi
(49.54 KiB) Downloaded 79 times

NigelUK

Unread post by NigelUK » 2020-01-08, 01:06

Thank you very much indeed, Moonchild - I even remembered to drag it into the browser to get it working! :D

SlySven
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by SlySven » 2020-05-09, 19:06

Just for the record - what is the quote size? At a wild-arsed guess I'm thinking 32MBytes... :think:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-05-09, 20:21

SlySven wrote:
2020-05-09, 19:06
Just for the record - what is the quote size? At a wild-arsed guess I'm thinking 32MBytes... :think:
Wrong. Not everyone feels compelled to always use powers of 2.
For the record, the warning level is currently set at 27,500 KB, the cut-off limit is at 30,000 KB

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-05-09, 20:32

Off-topic:
Moonchild wrote:
2020-05-09, 20:21
Not everyone feels compelled to always use powers of 2.
I don't think we can be friends anymore.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-05-09, 21:51

Off-topic:
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-05-09, 20:32
I don't think we can be friends anymore.
18711 is not a power of 2.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-05-09, 23:38

Off-topic:
Moonchild wrote:
2020-05-09, 21:51
18711 is not a power of 2.
That is a special case, 1701 times 11.

pakurilecz
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by pakurilecz » 2020-07-09, 17:21

this has been a very helpful thread. is there a way on Pale Moon to find out how close i am to the quota?
I bookmark websites a lot and that was where the problem is as I've have almost 28mb of bookmarks.
the solution I found was to export my current bookmarks as html and then start deleting those that I dont access frequently. after deleting I will re-export as well as backup the bookmarks in case i have to restore them

peterk

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-07-09, 22:37

Preferences -> category Sync -> drop-down at the top (manage) -> View Quota