Sync server under attack

Anything to do with the Pale Moon Sync service.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Sync server under attack

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-10-02, 10:38

For the past couple of days now, the Pale Moon Sync server has been under attack from people attempting to connection-flood it causing denial of service.

While the server is properly set up to prevent any interruption of service as a result of these attacks, it may become noticeable if the individual or group attacking our server steps up their game from the piddly attempts thus far. So just as a FYI/warning: it's possible there may be some Sync server interruptions.

Of course, relevant abuse reports have been and will be sent out to providers as-necessary.

As an aside, I'm not sure why the sync server in particular is a target. There's nothing to be gained from attacking the http port on it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Lew Rockwell Fan
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Sync server under attack

Unread post by Lew Rockwell Fan » 2018-10-04, 19:02

If you have a moment to indulge my curiosity, is there any sane motive for something like this? What do you think the attacker could be trying to accomplish?
"To attempt to silence a man is to pay him homage, for it is an acknowledgement that his arguments are both impossible to answer and impossible to ignore." - John Bryant

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Sync server under attack

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-10-04, 21:04

Lew Rockwell Fan wrote:If you have a moment to indulge my curiosity, is there any sane motive for something like this? What do you think the attacker could be trying to accomplish?
I honestly have no idea what they hoped to achieve. The sync server of all we run should be the least of anyone's target if they want to cause trouble. So no, I don't think there's any sane motive -- it seems more a case of "because they can" instead of actually being motivated by something.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite