Sync failure to connect during sync setup

Anything to do with the Pale Moon Sync service.
SlySven
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Sync failure to connect during sync setup

Unread post by SlySven » 2018-07-07, 23:48

I'm just switching over to PaleMoon because my FreeBSD OS (11.1-Release-p11) has just gotten updated (from p10 to p11) and my FireFox ESR unexpectedly got dragged up from 52.x to 60.0 :twisted: - thereby breaking so many of the addons I was comfortable with that I decided to make the break.

Unfortunately I think I am getting the same problem that I recall I once had when using the same type of Sync service on FireFox.

I have dabbled with Palemoon before but I do not recall having set up the sync service - I have grown dependent on the Firefox version (Sync 1.5) because my main PC triple boots (Windows7/Debian "Stretch" Linux/FreeBSD) and having the same browser with synced data on all three of those OSes and on several other PCs some of which also dual-boot makes things much simpler for me. So I went to setup the Sync (1.1 which I remember from past usage on Firefox) on the Palemoon - after entering the same email as I used for registering on this forum an hour or so ago and a password - which I also placed in an otherwise empty text editor I clicked on the "I agree to the T&Cs" option and then the "Next" button, and I got presented with this initial sync setup screen - which has remained in that "no progress" state ever since...
sync_problem4.png
Notice the "Sync encountered an error while syncing: Incorrect account name or password, Sync will automatically retry this action. [[Preferences...]]" message at the bottom.

This is messed up - but if I look into the Saved Passwords I can see that the Sync name and password stuff has been saved in some atypical entries:
sync_problem2_obfusticated.png
Back in the dim and distant past I recall that NoScript or some other add-on on FireFox blocked Sync from working until I whitelisted something - does anyone have any idea what might need to be whitelisted to get Sync 1.1 working on Palemoon?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Sync failure to connect during sync setup

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-07-08, 11:30

Sync is completely independent. Just because you have a forum account does not automatically mean you have a Pale Moon Sync account as well. You have to set up sync by creating a new Sync account. Of course you CAN use the same login credentials as on the forum, if you wish, but they are not linked.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite