Running custom sync server

Anything to do with the Pale Moon Sync service.
cubancigar11

Running custom sync server

Unread post by cubancigar11 » 2018-07-04, 04:15

After some search I found this topic: viewtopic.php?t=14528 . It details steps to run your own server.

I wanted to know the current status of the solution, vs https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/FSyncMS

Most importantly, How and where does one specify the custom server for palemoon to sync?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Running custom sync server

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-07-04, 10:20

The python topic is outdated -- we haven't used that thing for years because it caused issues with user data and scaling to more users.

We've used the PHP/MySQL solution that is FSyncMS since then. I haven't had the time yet to write a setup guide for that.
cubancigar11 wrote:How and where does one specify the custom server for palemoon to sync?
When you set up sync, you can choose "custom sync server" in the server drop-down. This allows you to enter your own sync server address.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

cubancigar11

Unread post by cubancigar11 » 2018-07-04, 10:34

So shall I go with FSyncMS following the previously mentioned link for getting it up and running, and expect reasonable success? Thanks btw for the reply and for the browser.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-07-04, 11:33

It's entirely up to you -- if it's for your own personal use either solution should work just fine. The FSyncMS solution is a lot simpler through, since it only requires a basic LAMP/LEMP server setup (Linux-(Apache|NginX)-MySql-PHP) but as said I don't have a setup guide for that yet.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite