Keep getting 'wrong recovery key' after resetting data

Anything to do with the Pale Moon Sync service.
moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Keep getting 'wrong recovery key' after resetting data

Unread post by moonbat » 2018-06-26, 07:03

I decided to reset my sync data when it failed to sync. Have already set services.sync.clusterURL and services.sync.serverURL as https://pmsync.palemoon.org/sync/index.php/
'I have an account' -> 'I don't have the device with me' -> I enter my username/password, 'I have lost the other device' - it generates a new sync key, says data uploaded successfully - then returns to the login screen and rejects the just generated key as invalid. Tried it several times.
I tried to check if the useragent is different, but not sure which key to look at, there are multiple keys named general.useragent.override.somewebsitename and nothing to indicate what's the default.
Last edited by moonbat on 2018-06-26, 07:05, edited 1 time in total.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Keep getting 'wrong recovery key' after resetting data

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-06-26, 10:30

The Sync server doesn't care about your user agent string.

As for the issue at hand, if you generated a new key it should be saved in the browser and you don't have to re-enter it. Just log in with your e-mail and password to the server.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2018-06-26, 14:11

But even to sign in you need to enter a recovery key along with the username and password, once you pick the 'I don't have the device'/'I have an account' flow. That's where it repeatedly fails.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-06-26, 16:19

you enter your user name and password, and instead of entering the key you click "I have lost my other device" (AFTER entering your credentials) -- I know it's not the most intuitive flow (since it doesn't provide feedback trying to click that link and not entering your credentials) but that's the way it's done.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2018-06-27, 06:11

That's exactly what I do - after that it pops another dialog with a new recovery key, I save the new key for reference and click 'change recovery key' -> it says key successfully changed, the pop up disappears and I'm back at the previous login dialog with the recovery key auto populated with the new one and the message saying 'wrong recovery key'.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-06-27, 08:21

That is really strange!
I'm honestly not sure what's going on then.
I suggest you send me a PM with your used sync e-mail and I can remove your account, and you can start from scratch.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2018-06-27, 09:54

Thanks. I've PMed you my email address.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2018-06-28, 05:07

Back to square one. I tried creating a new account with a different email address as well, but sync preferences again shows 'wrong recovery key'. If I reset it then everything happens the same way as described earlier.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-06-28, 16:05

moonbat wrote:Back to square one. I tried creating a new account with a different email address as well, but sync preferences again shows 'wrong recovery key'. If I reset it then everything happens the same way as described earlier.
I'm afraid I'm just as stumped as you are here -- this should never happen and nobody else seems to have this issue either.
If you go to about:sync-log, are there error log files listed there? if so, please quote the most recent one.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2018-07-04, 07:09

Sorry for the late reply, here's the latest error log.
Attachments
error-sync-1530368657073.txt
Latest sync log.
(19.56 KiB) Downloaded 25 times

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-07-04, 10:08

Hmm, the errors I see there is that the setup failed because of a network problem (unable to login/host not found). It needs to be able to contact the server to set up the account properly (obviously). Can you please check if anything might be interfering with the connection made from the browser to the sync server?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2018-07-04, 11:38

I tried again just now - it momentarily showed 'what to sync' in the preferences window and I thought it was working fine - but after reopening preferences, again it says wrong key. Have included sync log.
Attachments
error-sync-1530704110467.txt
(35.51 KiB) Downloaded 21 times

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-07-04, 12:21

Okay that seems to provide a little more info.
When you put in your encryption key, are you using a pre-generated one or entering your own?
If entering your own, please avoid special/accented characters or non-western script and symbols.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-07-04, 12:41, edited 1 time in total.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2018-07-04, 13:30

Nope, just the pre-generated one. I backup each one after generating.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-07-04, 14:25

I just checked once more to verify, and everything works as it should. Please let me know if you do anything different:
  1. Click "Set up Pale Moon Sync"
  2. Choose "I have an account"
  3. Easy setup opens with a 12 digit number.
  4. Click "I don't have the device with me"
  5. The Sign In page opens
  6. Enter user name and password, leave key blank (since you want to generate a new one)
  7. Click "I have lost my other device"
  8. It will briefly show "verifying" as your user and password are checked, then it will open the "My Recovery Key" window
  9. Accept the generated key by clicking "Change Recovery Key"
  10. Do not touch anything and wait. Dialogue windows will automatically close when it's done.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2018-07-05, 03:07

Moonchild wrote:I just checked once more to verify, and everything works as it should. Please let me know if you do anything different:
  • Do not touch anything and wait. Dialogue windows will automatically close when it's done.
And right after this final step, the new recovery key gets populated in the login dialog with the message, 'invalid recovery key'.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-07-05, 09:44

I'm sorry, it doesn't make any sense to me why this would happen.

Maybe you can provide some more logging for me.
To do so, set services.sync.log.appender.file.logOnSuccess to true in about:config, and also set services.sync.log.cryptoDebug to true.

go through the steps indicated, then go to about:sync-log as before. You should have more extensive log files now. Please send them (both success and error logs of the appropriate date/time for your attempt) to me via PM because they likely contain account info best not posted in a public thread.

Don't forget to switch the prefs back to false afterwards to prevent lots of unused logging.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2018-07-25, 11:39

Sorry for the delay in replying - I have been traveling this month. Will just send the logs in a PM as requested.

musickiller

Unread post by musickiller » 2019-01-15, 20:04

I get the same error. Freshly unpacked Pale Moon on Arch Linux. Syncing with slightly older Pale Moon on Arch Linux. Before that synced successfully with Win7 :?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-01-16, 01:49

The sync client has changed -- please make sure you use the latest version of Pale Moon on all synced systems.