Hard cap lowered to 15 MB

Anything to do with the Pale Moon Sync service.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Hard cap lowered to 15 MB

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-04-19, 14:24

In our maintenance window today it became clear that many people do not take the proper measures when they are over the target amount of stored Sync data (15MB), causing too heavy load on the Sync server as a result.

Our hard capacity limit has therefore been lowered to the intended target of 15MB of stored data. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

What do I do if I have a lot of data stored on the Sync server?

If you can no longer sync your data because you are over quota, please check the following parts of your browser to reduce data to synchronize:
  • Stored form data (remembered form entries). Some users have enormous collections of this remembered form data without realizing.
  • Stored history (browsing history). Many people don't need to synchronize their browsing history. You may want to completely stop syncing the history category.
  • Stored data from many different devices on a single account - this can add up quickly. Please only sync those devices and categories for each device that are important for your use.
  • You may also have old data from devices that are no longer used or have been re-installed, or have it stored fragmented in our database.
The last point above can be rectified by giving your sync account a completely clean slate:
  1. Unlink all your current devices except one
  2. In the last-linked device, go to Options -> Sync -> My recovery key (drop-down)
  3. Generate a new recovery key. This will remove all old/obsolete data from the Sync server and re-sync freshly encrypted data
  4. Now, re-link your other devices
Also, once more a reminder that if you are using our freely available public Sync server in a medium or larger organization, you must set up your own sync server for organizational use to keep it fair for all other Pale Moon users. We do see some sharply-defined time windows that would coincide with work days where the concurrent connections to our server doubles (at the start) and halves (at the end). Setting up your own Sync server for Pale Moon is easy: All you need is a web server of choice, PHP and a MySQL database to run our FSyncMS fork.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

x-15a2

Re: Hard cap lowered to 15 MB

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2016-04-19, 15:47

Thanks for this update. After reading your post I thought that it would be a good idea to check my account, but I'm unable to retrieve my quota information:Image
Does this mean that I'm over quota?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Hard cap lowered to 15 MB

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-04-19, 17:44

As long as we're running maintenance, you can't retrieve this data. It should be done any minute.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite