Hard cap instated

Anything to do with the Pale Moon Sync service.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Hard cap instated

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-02-07, 13:48

The Pale Moon Sync server now has a hard cap at ~25MB of storage. If your data use is more than that, your attempts to store more data will be refused (and Sync in Pale Moon should inform you that you are over quota in that case).
Please forgive any quirks or bugs that might currently exist in this check, since I've had to do this myself and I'm not fluent in PHP ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Jazoray

Re: Hard cap instated

Unread post by Jazoray » 2016-02-07, 17:41

could that be why even recent and frequent entries in my history have suddenly disappeared after switching between machines?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-02-07, 18:14

Unless it happened just before the initial post today.. Then.. No.

CharmCityCrab

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2016-02-08, 00:14

Just to give people an idea of what this means in practice, I'm on the Internet a lot, and Pale Moon is the browser I use for 99.9% of desktop web browsing, and I am under 3MB on the sync thing. I use a different browser on my phone, but if we project that usage as being roughly the same and add it to the quota as if I were using Pale Moon for both desktop and for Android, it'd be under 6 MB.

So, the quota seems very reasonable to me. I think you'd have to be a very atypical user to hit the limit.

And if you do hit the limit, there are probably options. I think MoonChild has mentioned that you can host a private sync service on your own server for yourself (and/or your friends and/or co-workers at your business) and use as much storage space as you want on that server- the whole sync system and software is open source software, if I recall correctly.

I would also imagine that you might be able to discuss a donation to the project that would finance a server for the Pale Moon project itself and pay for the associated costs, and the developers might be willing to raise the limit for everyone if you discussed it with them before donating and agreed on a dollar figure. Might even be tax deductible. I think that's the reason behind the cap- they don't have the money to devote to purchasing and running the extra servers to provide over 25MB of space per user for this. I don't think it's that they are against people using more- it's just that they have limited resources.

To check your usage Tools>Options>Sync>Manage Account>View Quota

Most likely, you're nowhere near the limit. But if you find you are near or over it, you can get under by maybe keeping fewer days of history, cutting down on bookmarks, or simply not syncing certain categories (I think there are five or so, and you can just uncheck the ones you don't want to sync and then keep everything the same on your browser itself).

And now back to the Super Bowl.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-02-08, 01:39

CharmCityCrab wrote:I think you'd have to be a very atypical user to hit the limit.
25 MB is actually very lenient. 15MB is a good maximum to aim for even if you sync lots, and depending on number of users I may in the future have to lower the cap to be closer to that intended maximum. For now things still look good though.
CharmCityCrab wrote:I would also imagine that you might be able to discuss a donation to the project that would finance a server for the Pale Moon project itself and pay for the associated costs, and the developers might be willing to raise the limit for everyone if you discussed it with them before donating and agreed on a dollar figure.
Actually, it's not that simple. There are very real limits to what a server can handle in terms of concurrent database traffic. We are currently at the point where we have such a number of users of the sync server where any single user simply cannot be allowed to load the server to a point where it takes a significant amount to perform the db queries (creating a processing and I/O queue for other users). We are already on 7 dedicated cores and 6GB of dedicated server memory which is about as large as VDS packages get. Anything more would require a fully dedicated, bare-metal server which is a whole different tier of expenses (and our current expenses for the Sync server are already the highest of any of the on-line services part of the Pale Moon project). If people want to donate a dollar figure for that it will be a large expense to be donated every month, continually. I don't see that happening, and i don't think it's a very economical solution -- so we can simply offer this service as-is with its limits but nothing more.

If people do need a larger sync storage space, then they simply have to set up their own (using either our solution or any other Weave Sync 1.1 compatible server). It's not that hard and they can get a simple VPS e.g. from Afterburst at a low amount to do just that. I've heard good things about OwnCloud and their Sync plugin, which would actually give you a privately hosted "drop box" as well as sync. It does need a little bit of Linux knowledge though to set that up. So for less than $10/month you could be all set - expanding our public service to a bare-metal dedicated server with sufficient power would be... a hell of a lot more per month, and requiring that amount from quite a few people, every month, perpetually. I'd rather choose to keep the limits and keep things under control than creating such a dependency on donations that may at any point fall short and force the service to be discontinued for everyone.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

CharmCityCrab

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2016-02-08, 02:58

Moonchild wrote: I'd rather choose to keep the limits and keep things under control than creating such a dependency on donations that may at any point fall short and force the service to be discontinued for everyone.
That makes sense. I hadn't considered the matter from that perspective.

Jazoray

Unread post by Jazoray » 2016-02-08, 03:49

I am quite OCD about keeping my history, and i am currently at the limit.

Unfortunately I missed the annoucement about checking my sync quota.

Given Moonchild's description about the requirements of the Sync server, and given CharmCityCrab's mention of the possibility of a private sync server, I don't want to be a burden on your system that is unfair towards the other users.

I did some search for the private sync server option, but i couldn't find anything. can someone point me in the right direction?

Lord_Brezel

Unread post by Lord_Brezel » 2016-02-08, 14:16

My syncable stuff is over 50mb and the profile isnt that old. But I dont use sync either. :D

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-02-08, 15:00

Jazoray wrote:I did some search for the private sync server option, but i couldn't find anything. can someone point me in the right direction?
You basically have 3 options: