Important: please check your quota

Anything to do with the Pale Moon Sync service.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Important: please check your quota

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-01-03, 22:31

A kind request to everyone actively using Pale Moon Sync to check your quota, and if the amount of space you are using is very large (more than 15 MB or so), to please not sync such large amounts to our public server since it is causing some server load issues.

Please understand that if you are using a disproportionate share of bandwidth, space and processing power on the Pale Moon Sync server, that we may deny you access to it or remove your account. Currently there are some (very) big data users that do not use a fair portion of space and we call upon you to please keep other users in mind. Our server resources are not infinite and do not scale well beyond average use.
Since we do not store your e-mail address on the Sync server in a usable form (hash only, for security), we cannot e-mail the offenders directly so we hope the users in question will take heed and take responsibility.

To check your current quota in use:
Go to Options -> Sync, and from the drop-down menu, select "View Quota"
options.jpg
quota.jpg
To reduce data usage, either stop syncing the categories you do not need synchronized, or clear your data storage locally (clean out your history, stored form data, bookmarks, for example).
If you have a very large amount of data you want to continue to synchronize between your devices, then please set up your own sync (1.1) server on a private server or using e.g. a cloud sync plugin for OwnCloud or similar.
You can replicate our Sync Server setup using the data in the following repo: https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/FSyncMS
This will run on any semi-recent PHP/MySQL setup.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation!
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Important: please check your quota

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2016-01-03, 22:45

2.1 MB's I'm using, sorry, is that large? I'm not good with numbers, yup I suck in math badly. Just cleared 3.2 MB's for tabs.
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-01-03, 23:38

LimboSlam wrote:2.1 MB's I'm using, sorry, is that large? I'm not good with numbers, yup I suck in math badly. Just cleared 3.2 MB's for tabs.
Read my post? Very large is more than, say, 15 MB. That is server-side large, and if you don't have to worry about your own data usage cap ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-01-04, 09:32

After having run a query overnight to get some database metrics, it's clear that the issues are caused by likely the top 20 or so of our Sync users (that are using more than 25 MB each), with the heaviest user having no less than 147MB in use (that's 10 times the fair use amount, people...). Of our ~10,000 active Sync users, only about 50 are above the limit at the moment. We'd rather not put a hard limit on this, but we will if we have to, to keep the service from being slow and causing too much load on the server it's running on.

fehmi

Unread post by fehmi » 2016-01-06, 15:46

I started receiving "Sync encountered an error while syncing: Unknown error. Sync will automatically retry this action." error message. Then I tried to view my quota but "could not retrieve quota information" error message is shown in the server quota box. Is there a problem with the sync server or am I already banned from the server? :cry:

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2016-01-06, 15:52

It seems they are offline for maintenance, check here: https://pmsync.palemoon.net/status/. Though they didn't announce anything yet?
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-01-06, 20:33

We had to take the db down for a maintenance run and some code update to reduce overhead.
It should be back up now, so you can try again to get your quota.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2016-01-06, 21:02

I had been using ~15 MB, but I brought that down to ~3 MB as of Tuesday. I only sync bookmarks and history. Now when I check my quota it is telling me I am using 0 bytes for both, and even though I am not getting any sync error messages, history is not syncing between PCs.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-01-06, 22:04

Please try to force a sync with "sync now". Then check your quota again.

chantoine

Unread post by chantoine » 2016-01-06, 22:35

Possible that the last accounts created have been erased ?

I registered mine 2-3 days ago, and now Sync acts as if i had'nt one...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-01-06, 22:50

chantoine wrote:Possible that the last accounts created have been erased ?
I registered mine 2-3 days ago, and now Sync acts as if i had'nt one...
No, that shouldn't be the case.
I checked the database and your account is present.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-01-06, 22:59

Nigaikaze wrote:I had been using ~15 MB, but I brought that down to ~3 MB as of Tuesday. I only sync bookmarks and history. Now when I check my quota it is telling me I am using 0 bytes for both, and even though I am not getting any sync error messages, history is not syncing between PCs.
I think the code change I made is not exactly doing what is intended. I reverted this for the time being and will have to investigate further.

EDIT: Ohboy. talk about a dumb typo XD
EDIT2: typo fixed, change is in effect. Please check? You may have to "reset sync" if you ran into problems because of this; a merge operation would do to repair it.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2016-01-06, 23:34

Moonchild wrote:Please check? You may have to "reset sync" if you ran into problems because of this; a merge operation would do to repair it.
Yes, it all seems good now. I actually did a reset sync as part of my own troubleshooting process. I can see my quota and data are now syncing as expected across all PCs. Thanks, Moonchild!
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.