Is Sync setup for computers or profiles

Anything to do with the Pale Moon Sync service.
1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Is Sync setup for computers or profiles

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2018-05-21, 13:51

I have three questions before I attempt to setup Sync. I have several Windows 7 Pro (64 bit) computers that I would like to do some syncing on. Each of them has Pale Moon 27.9x (32 bit) installed. I run multiple Profiles on each of them.

1. When I run the initial setup, am I syncing the hardware (the computers) or the software (the Profiles)?

2. Subsequently when I run Sync, I assume that what is being synced are the profiles that are in use on each of the computers at the time of the syncing? Is that correct?

3. I also test new versions of Pale Moon (both 32 bit & 64 bit) by installing portable versions on a USB stick. Is it possible to Sync to a Profile that is on a USB stick?

Thanks in advance for any clarification you can provide.

Harry

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Is Sync setup for computers or profiles

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-05-21, 14:05

1. Sync is profile-specific. Sync will be independent for each profile -- with its own account credentials.

2. See 1. Only the actively-used profile will sync.

3. Browser location (portable/desktop) is irrelevant. Again, see 1: You're syncing profile data.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2018-05-21, 23:29

Moonchild wrote:1. Sync is profile-specific. Sync will be independent for each profile -- with its own account credentials.
Thanks for the rapid response.

Just to be sure I understand, both profiles must have exactly the same name?

For example, ABC.default can NOt sync with XYZ.default. It can only sync with ABC.default?

Harry

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-05-22, 00:01

Sync doesn't care about the profile name. It only cares about the data in it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2018-05-22, 04:15

Moonchild wrote:Sync doesn't care about the profile name. It only cares about the data in it.
Sorry to be so stupid about this, but I am really confused.

I use Pale Moon's 'Choose User Profile' feature, and have multiple profiles on each computer. Even if I have Pale Moon open on both computers, how does Sync know which profiles to select?

Harry

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-05-22, 04:45

I'm not sure how else to say this.

Sync is per-profile.
Sync works in the profile you have open. It does not do anything with other profiles.
Sync doesn't select the profile, YOU do, when you start the browser.

Say, if you have 3 profiles, A, B, and C. You start the browser, and start it with profile A. Sync will then synchronize profile A and nothing else.
If you want the data in profiles B and C to also be synced, you have to start the browser with profile B and C and perform a sync.

Profiles can have their own Sync login details too. Say, profile C is used by a family member, they can have their own sync account. profile A will sync with yours, profile C will sync with theirs. But once again, ONLY when the browser is started with that profile active.

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2018-05-23, 05:07

Moonchild wrote:I'm not sure how else to say this.

Sync is per-profile.
Sync works in the profile you have open. It does not do anything with other profiles.
Sync doesn't select the profile, YOU do, when you start the browser.

Say, if you have 3 profiles, A, B, and C. You start the browser, and start it with profile A. Sync will then synchronize profile A and nothing else.
If you want the data in profiles B and C to also be synced, you have to start the browser with profile B and C and perform a sync.

Profiles can have their own Sync login details too. Say, profile C is used by a family member, they can have their own sync account. profile A will sync with yours, profile C will sync with theirs. But once again, ONLY when the browser is started with that profile active.
A great explanation and examples. I think I am all set.

Harry