Color My Tabs

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Thehandyman1957

Re: Color My Tabs

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2015-09-22, 05:42

wost_ wrote:I've found the bug with non working indication bar and fixed few things related to it. I'm not sure they was the reason you encountered this issue though. I've fixed also some other minor things. I'm not even hoping there are no other bugs this time. :| But anyway, thank you very much for testing this crap. I'm even surprised you still have patience to install and uninstall it again and again considering all those irritating issues ;)
Personally I think it's even more amazing that you have the patience to keep working on it just for our pleasure. :mrgreen:

Always grateful :thumbup: and no, it's not crap ;) If you can get a guy like me to give up Colorfultabs for your add-on then your doing something right :clap: Keep up the great work.

_Poke_

Unread post by _Poke_ » 2015-09-22, 10:52

This extension is great! I just posted in the What does my browser look like thread, but I hadn't found the settings yet. My tabs are like this now, very nice! :clap:
Untitled.png

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2015-09-22, 11:39

_Poke_ wrote:This extension is great! ...
Ditto! I've never cared for colored tabs, but I've installed this extension on each systems that have PM installed, thanks!

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2015-09-22, 15:56

wost_ wrote:But anyway, thank you very much for testing this crap. I'm even surprised you still have patience to install and uninstall it again and again considering all those irritating issues ;)
Well I'm just so patient. Actually, since I can't code very well, I help out by giving constructional feedback in a polite manner. I also send about 5-10 emails out per-week to certain websites asking them to support us, either for their product or website. But really, I just love to tests new add-ons out!! :D

And as for the add-on SDK, I wouldn't know anything about it. No wait, I uhh, did read something about creating new add-ons using Pale Moon SDK. I believe these are it: http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9361, http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5441.

Anyways wost_, your doing an AWESOME job here. :D :thumbup: I think I will go ahead and post what you have done in "What my Pale Moon looks like" too!
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

wost_

Unread post by wost_ » 2015-09-23, 17:49

Thank you guys for your support. I'm glad someone besides me finds this extension interesting. :D

I've changed the way preferences are changed and replaced chaotic inline settings with a pop-up window. It's a little bit better organized and you can change appearance values with more precision. There is also a button which resets settings in the window, so it's possible to apply default values.

Unfortunately there is one downside. On windows it's a modal window, and as far as I know, there is no way to force Add-on manager to show non modal window after clicking "Options" button. But I think it's still better than inline settings.

However, there is a technical problem with favicon changes. I noticed that sometimes website's favicon is choosen randomly by the browser (or maybe sent randomly to the browser) with randomly meaning its size. For example for first time website is loaded there is a 16 x 16 favicon, then after reload 32 x 32, then again 16 x 16... This leads to color changes for the same exact website because different in size images will have different pixel color distribution. I don't know what does it depend on when retrieving favicon size specific image.

Version 1.3.0 uploaded in the first post.
Be sure to check "Prevent extensive color darkening" option because it might have changed due to my modifications.

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2015-09-23, 18:04

Nice work, keep it up! :)

Do you plan to share this on some public version control system?
However, there is a technical problem with favicon changes. I noticed that sometimes website's favicon is choosen randomly by the browser (or maybe sent randomly to the browser) with randomly meaning its size. For example for first time website is loaded there is a 16 x 16 favicon, then after reload 32 x 32, then again 16 x 16... This leads to color changes for the same exact website because different in size images will have different pixel color distribution. I don't know what does it depend on when retrieving favicon size specific image.
hmm.. maybe it should be checked if the color distribution changes on the same website. Ico files can contain multiple images of different sizes (16x16,32x32,..), but does the browser do the decision which size to use?

wost_

Unread post by wost_ » 2015-09-24, 13:35

jumba wrote:hmm.. maybe it should be checked if the color distribution changes on the same website. Ico files can contain multiple images of different sizes (16x16,32x32,..), but does the browser do the decision which size to use?
I thought about this but the problem is more complex when a website once provides a big favicon for the first time and then the picked color is totally different from the dominant color of a smaller favicon which is assigned later. I observed this few times on reddit, sometimes the picked color was orange instead of light blue. I'll try to fix this when I have more free time. ;)
jumba wrote:Do you plan to share this on some public version control system?
You mean Pale Moon's add-on center and in-browser automatic updates? LimboSlam suggested to me that I may want consider sending this to Matt A Tobin but I don't feel it's really stable at the moment. Also, I don't know if my extension follows serious technical requirements if there are any. It has been poorly written with usage of Add-on SDK. I've tried to make it restartless and non-breaking other add-ons / default browser's environment, but I'm not sure it has been done correctly. I'll think about this.

By the way, I've uploaded version 1.3.1 in the first post with fixes related to some themes compatibility.

_Poke_

Unread post by _Poke_ » 2015-09-25, 07:13

Hm, I just noticed that this stops the highlight on pinned tabs when they want your attention (notification highlight? I mostly notice it on gmail). It's not too important but it would be nice if this was visible in some way. Another set of settings for it, as with Active, Inactive and Hovered would do the trick though other solutions would be ok too.

wost_

Unread post by wost_ » 2015-09-25, 12:36

Tell me if this satisfies you
pinned unnotified and notified.png
pinned unnotified and notified.png (4.31 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
if so, you can try new version from the first post.

_Poke_

Unread post by _Poke_ » 2015-09-25, 15:54

Yes, it's great! Thanks!

LmaoZedong

Unread post by LmaoZedong » 2015-09-25, 21:48

This addon is fantastic, its a great way to find the tab I need when I have too many opened. Thanks

wost_

Unread post by wost_ » 2015-09-28, 21:41

Version 1.3.3 has been uploaded in the first post. There are few minor fixes and an improvement over color brightness settings. Now it doesn't provide strange results for bright colors while brightness is set to very low. The "Prevent extensive color darkening" option has been replaced by "Allow slight color brightness fixes" so now it fixes not only excessive darkening of bright colors but also also excessive brightening of dark colors. I'm not sure if anyone keeps using this on a daily basis but I'm uploading this anyway so there are less issues to face with. :thumbup:

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2015-09-29, 02:12

;) Still using it every day my friend :thumbup: I check this page often. Thank you :mrgreen:

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2015-09-29, 12:11

Ditto! Thanks for your continued efforts on this extension. Hopefully it shows up on the PM Addons Site soon!

wost_

Unread post by wost_ » 2015-09-30, 23:14

Thank you. I won't have much free time presently but I'll be trying to bring improvements and fixes whenever some new bugs will be noticed. I hope there will be no reason to take it down ;)

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2015-10-01, 01:07

Nice!! Good work you guys!! :thumbup:
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2015-10-01, 01:36

Ok, well I usually don't like anything resembling Chrome or the mentioning of Chrome, but I decided to give this theme a try (PMChrome v2.0.0), and so I'll let my screenshot do the talking:
Screenshot_5.png

There is also some weird colors (blue box with some red spots/glitches) when my tabs are unloaded (UnlaodTab add-on), so I don't know if this is just a side effect of this theme not being compatible with Color My Tabs or not.

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2015-10-01, 06:18

wost_ wrote:
jumba_ wrote: Do you plan to share this on some public version control system?
You mean Pale Moon's add-on center and in-browser automatic updates?
Some git repository, github, gitlab, bitbucket. I think it would be easier for others to contribute.

wost_

Unread post by wost_ » 2015-10-01, 09:47

LimboSlam wrote:Ok, well I usually don't like anything resembling Chrome or the mentioning of Chrome, but I decided to give this theme a try (PMChrome v2.0.0), and so I'll let my screenshot do the talking:
There is also some weird colors (blue box with some red spots/glitches) when my tabs are unloaded (UnlaodTab add-on), so I don't know if this is just a side effect of this theme not being compatible with Color My Tabs or not.
Yes, unfortunately it's not compatible with this theme. In general it's not compatible with themes which are using custom images as tabs overlays. I've also checked ColorfulTabs and Tab Mix Plus tabs appearance feature to inspect if they can handle themes like PMChrome and it looks like the same problem occurs. So I guess there is no easy and universal solution to perfectly fit a gradient background inside. I wish the "border-corner-shape" (http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/css3-border-shape/) could be implemented so it would be easy to cut the borders properly. Sorry :oops:
jumba wrote:Some git repository, github, gitlab, bitbucket. I think it would be easier for others to contribute.
The extension's code is terrible, trust me. I think it would cause some loud facepalms if someone experienced wanted to understand this mess. But thanks for suggestion. ;)