Color My Tabs

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Joel Cairo

Re: Color My Tabs

Unread post by Joel Cairo » 2015-09-15, 02:27

Thehandyman1957 wrote:My friend, Mr G.W. Shark, after I showed him Windows 10. I won't make that mistake again!

:lol: Would be great to show the shark trying to eat at a cage with someone in it. :thumbup:

Like this big fella :shock:
Screenshot - 9_13_2015 , 9_44_09 PM.png
You know, too really show how pissed off he is :mrgreen:
Heh. An animation, perhaps, or a timeline. :D I can almost see it as a sketch on SNL...

wost_

Unread post by wost_ » 2015-09-15, 16:35

Ok, it appears to be working now with the Moonfox theme. Unfortunately I didn't manage to get it working with Noiamoon. There are some massive CSS interferences here, and as I don't really know CSS this is an overkill for me. Also the code became a terrible mess since I've tried to catch on with javascript asynchronous execution. There are many undiscovered and discovered bugs which I don't know how to fix. I guess this extension will never be fully usable and compatibility-friendly due to my incompetence, but let's say it's half-usable with the default Pale Moon theme ;)

Version 1.1.3 in the first post.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2015-09-15, 17:09

Perhaps one of the other guys could take a look at it. It really has great promise and I like the colors better than Colorfultabs.
Plus the settings are really nice. Or maybe instead of the underline you could find a way to make the highlighted tab be more distinct somehow. I played with all the settings but still can't get the highlighted tab to really stick out. :mrgreen:

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2015-09-15, 17:19

Joel Cairo wrote:Heh. An animation, perhaps, or a timeline. :D I can almost see it as a sketch on SNL...
Hahaha, yea that would be awesome. :mrgreen:

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2015-09-15, 20:50

Thanks for the fix!!
Screenshot_7.png

And keep up the good work! :thumbup:
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

wost_

Unread post by wost_ » 2015-09-16, 00:59

Thehandyman1957 wrote:Perhaps one of the other guys could take a look at it. It really has great promise and I like the colors better than Colorfultabs.
Plus the settings are really nice. Or maybe instead of the underline you could find a way to make the highlighted tab be more distinct somehow. I played with all the settings but still can't get the highlighted tab to really stick out. :mrgreen:
Well, I've changed the way the active tab indicator is shown and somehow, through this CSS nightmare for me, made it working with Noia Moon, or at least with it's black version. I don't know if it will be working for you as you may have applied some other settings or appearance add-ons (I saw you have custom fonts on screenshots).

Here is the screenshot of how it looks like with Noia Moon on my side

Notice: when switching from tabs on top option on the fly, the indication bar is not automatically changing it's position. It will do it after turning off and on the add-on or after clicking Apply settings in its options.

Version 1.1.4 uploaded in the first post.

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2015-09-16, 02:00

Hey wost_, I found two minor bugs. One is on ghacks.net, seems to be a discoloration/no color (should be an orange) and the other is with the new tab/startpage. Yeah I don't know if the new tab/startpage is suppose to look like that or not. I would rather it stay the same as the usual/regular look because there really no color to the favicon (blue/grey moon) on the newtab/startpage.

ghacks.net
Screenshot_14.png
Screenshot_14.png (5.26 KiB) Viewed 2918 times
New Tab
Screenshot_12.png
Screenshot_12.png (3.29 KiB) Viewed 2918 times
Start Page
Screenshot_13.png
Screenshot_13.png (5.33 KiB) Viewed 2918 times
Regular New Tab:
Screenshot_15.png
Screenshot_15.png (2.42 KiB) Viewed 2918 times
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

wost_

Unread post by wost_ » 2015-09-16, 11:31

LimboSlam wrote:Hey wost_, I found two minor bugs. One is on ghacks.net, seems to be a discoloration/no color (should be an orange) and the other is with the new tab/startpage. Yeah I don't know if the new tab/startpage is suppose to look like that or not. I would rather it stay the same as the usual/regular look because there really no color to the favicon (blue/grey moon) on the newtab/startpage.
Yes, color picking is currently done with some simple stupid algorithm and the results are sometimes disappointing. I'll try to make it more accurate. :D

Pale Moon start page is colored correctly according to the favicon but it picks a light blueish color so it might look like something's wrong.

As for the new tab, it's intended behavior. I wanted empty tabs / tabs without favicon to also follow the general appearance settings. There is a default tab color option in the preferences and to get a better look with default Pale Moon theme on Windows 7 you can put there a #F5FAFE value. It will look like this

You can see it looks slightly different than the real #F5FAFE color, this is because it's affected by further modifications according to saturation and brightness settings. If the "Prevent excessive darkening of bright colors" option is disabled, the color becomes even darker. I think maybe there should be an option to disable color "post-processing" for default tab, so it could be even completely white while other colored tabs will be colored respectively to saturation and brightness settings.

I have never done something like this before, so forgive me all the inconveniences. There are many bugs and issues and there is a little mess now, but maybe some day this will become ready for daily use. :shifty:

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2015-09-16, 16:32

wost_ wrote:As for the new tab, it's intended behavior. I wanted empty tabs / tabs without favicon to also follow the general appearance settings. There is a default tab color option in the preferences and to get a better look with default Pale Moon theme on Windows 7 you can put there #F5FAFE value. It will look like this
Ok, so I tied this and it looks much better for the Start Page (it's more accurate), but then I get this for the New Tab Page, did I goof?
Screenshot_2.png
Screenshot_2.png (3.19 KiB) Viewed 2839 times
Now this is what the Start Page looks like:
Screenshot_1.png
Screenshot_1.png (6.35 KiB) Viewed 2839 times

Seems like there needs to be two option's/a tweak, one being the color for the Start Page up above (#F5FAFE) and the other as regular default color or the same as the Start Page color.
wost_ wrote:If the "Prevent excessive darkening of bright colors" option is disabled, the color becomes even darker. I think maybe there should be an option to disable color "post-processing" for default tab, so it could be even completely white while other colored tabs will be colored respectively to saturation and brightness settings.
You know it might be better if you implement the options to customize the tabs colors for different websites, basically like what ColorfulTabs does. If that's feasible for you, if not, that's ok. I also want to mention that the same bug with the indication bar is present here without use of themes.
Screenshot_3.png
Screenshot_3.png (2.02 KiB) Viewed 2839 times
Last edited by LimboSlam on 2015-09-16, 19:31, edited 1 time in total.

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2015-09-16, 18:46

OK, I normally don't care for extensions like this, but "Color My Tabs" has got it going on and I'm quickly getting addicted to it, thanks!

Regarding:
LimboSlam wrote:You know it might be better if you implement the options to customize the tabs colors for different websites, basically like what ColorfulTabs does. If that's feasible for you, if not, that's ok. I also want to mention that the same bug with the indication bar is present here without use of themes.
My suggestion would be that the user have the option of the default (as-is) colors or chose the complimentary contrasting colors. For simplicity, I'd make this a system setting, not worry about it being configured on a per-site basis. Here's a link that might be of help in calculating the contrasting colors, should you be inclined to include this at some time in the future: http://www.sessions.edu/color-calculator

Thanks again, great job!

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2015-09-16, 19:16

wost_ wrote:Well, I've changed the way the active tab indicator is shown and somehow, through this CSS nightmare for me, made it working with Noia Moon, or at least with it's black version. I don't know if it will be working for you as you may have applied some other settings or appearance add-ons (I saw you have custom fonts on screenshots).

Notice: when switching from tabs on top option on the fly, the indication bar is not automatically changing it's position. It will do it after turning off and on the add-on or after clicking Apply settings in its options.

Version 1.1.4 uploaded in the first post.
:thumbup: :clap: SAWEEET :thumbup: :clap:

Works perfect :mrgreen: You are da Man :D
Screenshot - 9_16_2015 , 12_14_47 PM.png

wost_

Unread post by wost_ » 2015-09-16, 19:40

Ok, now I have discovered another major bugs, so I'll try to rewrite some things and come up with some improvements next time (I hope so).

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2015-09-17, 00:47

@wost_: Your doing a great job so far and very muck making a difference in the Pale Moon community, so just keep it up and I, as well as others will be there to test every single one of you versions. This way it can become the add-on we all want it to be, though of course you have the ultimate choice to what extent you want your add-on to go. :) :thumbup: :clap:

wost_

Unread post by wost_ » 2015-09-20, 01:07

I've changed some things.

Color picking based on favicon is a little bit improved I think. Also now the transitions between colors occur immediately after icon changes.The active tab indication bar should be working now for every window separately and it should also follow "tabs on top" switch. Bug related to active tab not firing deactivation event after first contact has been fixed in some silly way but it does the job apparently.

In the preferences "Prevent extensive color darkening" switch has been replaced by list with three options. The new one is "for default color" and it means that it will prevent too much color darkening only for default tab color (tab without icon and no custom color); "for all colors" means that it will also prevent darkening of custom colors which are relatively bright so they are less affected by brightness variables; "disable" means it will strictly apply brightness variables from preferences to all custom colors and also default tab color.

I hope there are no new terrible bugs after my modifications. I will think about further improvements especially regarding to tab coloring.

Version 1.2.0 updated in the first post.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2015-09-20, 04:30

:thumbup: :clap: :thumbup: Keeps getting better :mrgreen:

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2015-09-20, 06:47

Yes it is! Thanks again wost_!

Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

EDIT: Seems I spoke to soon. I'm currently having problems with the indication bar not switching to a different color while using Unloadtabs (when my tabs are unloaded for more than 10 mins). So have now downgraded to v1.1.4 and seems well.

I will have to post a picture up later, my WIFI connection keeps cutting out and my old laptop need a break. But here's the link to the add-on if someone else can confirm this for sure: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/unloadtab/versions/?page=1#version-0.24.5.1-signed

wost_

Unread post by wost_ » 2015-09-20, 11:19

Version 1.2.1 updated in the first post, there was an issue (again... :oops:) with "Apply changes" not really applying changes in preferences. Should be working now.

As for the UnloadTab addon, well, I've installed it and it seems to work correctly, or maybe I didn't understand something. So, when tab becomes almost fully transparent it means that it has been unloaded. When I click on it to activate it and reload its content the active tab indication bar is colored correctly. When I manually use "Unload tab" on some active tab, it becomes unloaded and automatically switches to another tab and still indication bar is colored correctly according to new activated tab. I didn't played with UnloadTab's options much, so I suppose I did something insufficient to reproduce bugged behavior you are referring to. It could be good if you provide a screenshot or some more detailed description. ;)

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2015-09-21, 02:16

Well it seems the bug resolved itself, so whatever you fixed, it worked. Thanks again! :thumbup:

wost_

Unread post by wost_ » 2015-09-21, 10:41

Ok, I haven't changed anything related to indication bar in 1.2.1, so this bug comes from my code and probably has something to do with multiple windows. I'll try to reproduce and fix it.

wost_

Unread post by wost_ » 2015-09-21, 16:43

I've found the bug with non working indication bar and fixed few things related to it. I'm not sure they was the reason you encountered this issue though. I've fixed also some other minor things. I'm not even hoping there are no other bugs this time. :| But anyway, thank you very much for testing this crap. I'm even surprised you still have patience to install and uninstall it again and again considering all those irritating issues ;)

Version 1.2.2 updated in the first post.

By the way, the Mozilla's Add-on SDK is very unclear in some cases. Tab "deactivate" event firing after window deactivation? Tab "open" event firing after closing window pop-up? Strange.