HTTPS Everywhere fork

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

New Tobin Paradigm

HTTPS Everywhere fork

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-05-01, 03:13

squarefractal's fork of HTTPS Everywhere is now LIVE on the Pale Moon Add-ons Site.. So have fun! As well as being subject to Automatic Updates via the Add-ons Manager! If you don't have it then please go to: https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/privacy-and-security/encrypted-web/. Also, remember to remove the original version before installing as they MAY conflict.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: HTTPS Everywhere fork

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-05-01, 09:21

Should I make an announcement for this?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2015-05-01, 11:41

Great news, many thanks to all involved. I don't use it anymore (hey, maybe now I will again) but many people do and miss it on Pale Moon so I think it's definitively worthy of an announcement.

roseman127

Unread post by roseman127 » 2015-05-01, 17:35

I just tried to install the "fork of HTTPS Everywhere" on 25.3.2 and it said it is not compatible with PaleMoon 25.3.2 :(

Might this have something to do with it being the android version of 25.3.2 as opposed to the desktop version of 25.3.2 (?)
I hate having to live without it *sniff*

squarefractal

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-05-01, 20:29

roseman127 wrote:Might this have something to do with it being the android version of 25.3.2 as opposed to the desktop version of 25.3.2 (?)
Yes.

No, there are no plans to support PM for Android. It's already been discontinued.

Drugwash
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Drugwash » 2016-01-29, 10:11

Has anyone tested this with the 26.x/Goanna line of Pale Moon, is it still compatible?
I'm currently running the official 4.0.13 version of HTTPS Everywhere under Pale Moon 25.8.1 and the 5.0.4 update is botched, so I'd like to know if the fork will work (involuntary rhyme) when I update to Pale Moon 26.x. Thank you.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2016-01-29, 10:27

Version 26 is not mentioned here so it might not be compatible yet. What I would do if I were you, is to make a quick backup copy of the profile folder (with Pale Moon closed of course) and try it out. If something goes wrong, you can revert back immediately.

Drugwash
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Drugwash » 2016-01-29, 10:43

Thank you for replying.
Yes, I visited add-on's page just before posting, actually I had no idea it existed until now. Saw the limited 25.* compatibility and that is precisely why I asked, in the idea that someone might've quickly hacked the install.rdf and tried it out on 26.0. I might do that myself sometime later, time allowing. No need to backup the profile, I installed the portable version of 26.0 in a separate folder just for testing purposes and there's nothing in that profile I'd cry over if it blew up. I've been living for about 15 year with the Recycle Bin disabled so go figure. ;)

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2016-01-29, 10:52

Ok couldn't resist and did a (very) quick test of Encrypted Web 5.1.2. on v.26 x86. It installs normally and seems to work fine.

Drugwash
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Drugwash » 2016-01-29, 11:01

Thank you for the test and confirmation.
I'll try it out too later on. :)

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-01-30, 22:31

I get this error under PM 26 x64 with Encrypted Web 5.1.2:

nsIJSON.encode sollte nicht mehr verwendet werden. Bitte verwenden Sie JSON.stringify stattdessen. @ file:///.../components/ssl-observatory.js:608
(translation: use JSON.stringify instead of nsIJSON.encode

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-01-31, 12:57

It's not an error, it's a deprecation warning. it doesn't impact operation. A warning is not an error!
Can you please pay closer attention what classification things have and label them appropriately?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Drugwash
Fanatic
Fanatic

Encrypted Web : Display issue

Unread post by Drugwash » 2016-02-02, 11:25

There's a slight problem with the display of the counter label in the toolbar icon: the label is behind the icon, making it almost uninteligible.
For a comparison I show you part of the toolbar with a couple of icons bearing labels, pertaining to other add-ons. The theme is Compact Moon 1.2.1 which may have a say in the display.
From left to right, the icons represent: X-Notifier, Greasemonkey, Yes Script, Encrypted Web and Ghostery.
As can be seen, Ghostery's counter label is the most visible of all while X-Notifier's is the most stylish. Unfortunately, Encrypted Web's label is barely distinguishable.
Therefore, could this - relatively minor, admittedly - issue be fixed in a future version, please? Thank you.
icon_label_ew.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2016-02-02, 23:05

This seems to be an inherent issue with the way the label has been implemented, combined with the small buttons in Compact Moon. Most addons tend to make the label be a ::before element of the button, but this one makes the label its own element.

In any case, I can't fix this on my side, as the label appears underneath the icon whenever I try to move it around.

Drugwash
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Drugwash » 2016-02-03, 10:00

Thank you for looking into this. I may have unwillingly implied that the theme could determine the label's behavior which was in no way my intention - apologies if it came out that way. :oops: I only thought of the label being possibly "pushed" inside by the narrow width of the button, but the fact remains that the label is actually being drawn behind the icon, which is definitely add-on's issue, not theme's.

Actually I like the theme very much. :thumbup: My only regret is that I can't modify the background color through 'Theme font & size changer' (in any theme) under Pale Moon since that particular option is missing in its control panel. But that's an entirely different story.

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2016-02-10, 21:50

Quoting from the Compatibility Reports thread:
Burning Sun wrote:Name: Encrypted Web
Type: Extension
Issue: under Tools/Encrypted Web --- the submenu doesn't open by mouseover nor clicking. All other submenus (e.g., Ghostery) do work.
Cause:
Workaround:
AMO:

I'm running 26.0.3 (x64). I uninstalled EW and re-installed, but the submenu still doesn't open. I do not have HTTPS Everywhere currently installed, so that's not a conflict.
Last edited by Antonius32 on 2016-02-11, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.

squarefractal

Unread post by squarefractal » 2016-02-11, 13:45

Antonius32 wrote:Issue: under Tools/Encrypted Web --- the submenu doesn't open by mouseover nor clicking. All other submenus (e.g., Ghostery) do work.
The Tools > Encrypted Web submenu works in 26.0.3 (Win8.1x64, PM x64) under my end in both clean profiles and under my regular user profile; so I can't reproduce your issue.
Could you try installing the extension under a clean profile and report if it works there?

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2016-02-11, 15:10

squarefractal wrote:The Tools > Encrypted Web submenu works in 26.0.3 (Win8.1x64, PM x64) under my end in both clean profiles and under my regular user profile; so I can't reproduce your issue.
Could you try installing the extension under a clean profile and report if it works there?
I didn't make the report, I just quoted it here, because I felt this thread was the best place for it. If you say it's an invalid issue, then I trust it is.

layingback

Unread post by layingback » 2016-03-10, 10:37

There is a compatibility issue with PhotoBucket.com's latest image protection code. This prevents renders of PhotoBucket images when linked to from other sites.

On image serving sites other than PhotoBucket (and on PhotoBucket until recently) a direct link to an image ended in .jpg - as you would expect. Now a direct link to a PhotoBucket image can end in .jpg~original (Note that is a Tilde which looks to get changed to a hypen by this forum software.)

If the link includes the (tilde)original bit the image displays correctly. If the ~original bit is not included then you get .html appended to the .jpg - presumably by PhotoBucket - in place of the ~original and the image doesn't display. (If you copy that URL ending in .jpg.html and enter it into your browser you arrive at a PhotoBucket HTML web page.)

Disabling Encrypted Web 5.1.2 allows the image to display. (Re-enable and it fails to display.)

Note that Firefox 44.0.2 using HTTPS-Everywhere 5.1.2 does NOT exhibit this display problem, and image displays as it should (with ~original appearing at the end of the URL displayed in the browser's location bar when you click on the image).

Can't see how to test to establish if this is a PaleMoon (Linux x64 26.0.0) caused problem or an Encrypted Wed (5.1.2) problem.

EDIT: Updated PaleMoon Linux x64 to 26.1.1 and Firefox to 45.0 and no change, results were still the same for both.

UPDATE: Palemoon Linux x64 26.1.1 with HTTPS-Everywhere 5.1.4 enabled does display the PhotoBucket image. I don't have a PhotoBucket account and did not want to list a link to someone-else's here. But here's a link to one of my websites which exhibits the problem in the 1st and 3rd posts: http://pentaxdslr.eu/Forums/viewtopic/t=3739/. Note that my site does not offer HTTPS.

Toa-Nuva
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Toa-Nuva » 2016-03-10, 15:38

Are you sure your issue is related to the addon? I'm having problems with those images, too, even though I don't have this addon installed.
Off-topic:
It seems to me that this is an error caused by the server, not by Pale Moon or some addon. Faulty user agent sniffing seems to be part of that somehow:
When Firefox compatibility mode is enabled in Pale Moon (which is the default, I think), PhotoBucket will redirect me from the *.jpg~original URL to that HTML page you mentioned. An HTML page cannot be embedded as an image, obviously, so the image does not show up in the forum thread.
However, when I disable Firefox compatibility mode, I am not redirected. Instead, sometimes the image will load fine; sometimes it will try to load for quite a while and then show me a "504 - Gateway Timeout" error; and sometimes I just get a blank page. Since the images do load sometimes, they do show up in that forum thread... after I reload the page a few times.