HTML5 Video Tuner - disable HTML5 video and/or MSE per domain

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

kizo07

Re: HTML5 Video Tuner - disable HTML5 video and/or MSE per domain

Unread post by kizo07 » 2017-02-19, 12:37

Off-topic:
JustOff wrote:SoundCloud in background
Right, with MSE enabled,there are some distortions. With MSE disabled, sounds ok + you can download Mp3 in one piece as well (they do some stream chopping each 15 sec)

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2017-02-27, 18:59

This extension is a little bit confusing..

I've got all MSE options disabled by default in Pale Moon, and when I first tried the extension, it didn't do anything.
MSE had to be enabled in Pale Moon before I were able to use it to toggle MSE on and off.

Wouldn't it be better if it were linked to, and refelcted Pale Moon's MSE checkboxes under 'Tools' > 'Options' > 'Content' > 'Video' directly?
If it also refreshed the current page automatically every time we use it to change the settings, it would work on the fly, instead of per domain.
Personally, I think this would be much better.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-02-27, 19:17

Tomaso wrote:This extension is a little bit confusing..

I've got all MSE options disabled by default in Pale Moon, and when I first tried the extension, it didn't do anything.
MSE had to be enabled in Pale Moon before I were able to use it to toggle MSE on and off.
If nothing helps, read the instruction: Such disabling is performed only for those functions that are globally enabled in browser settings. ;)
Wouldn't it be better if it were linked to, and refelcted Pale Moon's MSE checkboxes under 'Tools' > 'Options' > 'Content' > 'Video' directly?
If it also refreshed the current page automatically every time we use it to change the settings, it would work on the fly, instead of per domain.
Personally, I think this would be much better.
No, current behavior is by design. Per domain control is the only reason why this add-on exists at all.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2017-02-27, 19:46

JustOff wrote:If nothing helps, read the instruction
Yeah, I read it after I had figured it out by myself :)

--
JustOff wrote:current behavior is by design. Per domain control is the only reason why this add-on exists at all.
OK.
How about automatic page refreshing then?
Of course, there's no big deal to refresh manually, but automatically would be better. :)

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-02-27, 20:01

Tomaso wrote:How about automatic page refreshing then?
Of course, there's no big deal to refresh manually, but automatically would be better. :)
Well, maybe I'll add this as an option when I'll have a spare time. But, frankly, I don't think it's really necessary, because you will rarely switch between modes once you find the working one and there are not so many sites that require any changes. Currently I personally know only four or five 8-)

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-02-27, 20:09

Tomaso wrote:I've got all MSE options disabled by default...

The Tuner's options have a setting to "Disable HTML5 media by default". MSE would still need to be enabled in PM's options, but seems like it would give the equivalent effect.

See this post and following.

LL25255252
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by LL25255252 » 2017-02-28, 03:18

JustOff wrote:
Tomaso wrote:How about automatic page refreshing then?
Well, maybe I'll add this as an option when I'll have a spare time. But, frankly, I don't think it's really necessary, because you will rarely switch between modes once you find the working one and there are not so many sites that require any changes. Currently I personally know only four or five 8-)
Can you please post here links to these "four or five" sites ?

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-03-01, 03:13

Pardon me, but I really don't understand how to operate this extension. How do you tell it to disable MSE in this domain or that domain?

For example, I discovered I cannot play videos in Vimeo with MSE enabled. How would I use this extension to tell PM it to disable MSE only for vimeo.com. I don't see any kind of toggle switch for this in the preferences.

Additionally, when I went to watch a YouTube video with this extension enabled, YouTube complained that my browser could not understand any playback formats available.

{Using PM 27.1.1 (64-bit) on Ubuntu 14.04.5}
20 July 1969 ๐ŸŒ— Apollo 11 ๐ŸŒ“ "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." ๐Ÿš€

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-03-01, 05:14

gracious1 wrote:For example, I discovered I cannot play videos in Vimeo with MSE enabled. How would I use this extension to tell PM it to disable MSE only for vimeo.com. I don't see any kind of toggle switch for this in the preferences.

Use the toolbar button while you're on any vimeo page. The setting will be retained.
h5vt-vimeo-noMSE.png

As for YouTube, I haven't experienced what you describe, YT videos play for me with the extension enabled using any of the three settings. However I have seen that message occasionally if the page was slow to load. For me that was fixed by refreshing the page.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-03-01, 10:35

gracious1 wrote:Pardon me, but I really don't understand how to operate this extension. How do you tell it to disable MSE in this domain or that domain?
You should tick both "Enable MSE" and "Enable MSE for mp4 video" in browser options and then use HTML5 Media Tuner to selectively disable it as in example posted by coffeebreak above.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-03-01, 10:57

Why don't you add some code to flip them back on if they are off?

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-03-01, 12:44

This is definitely can be handled better, but I would not want to change global settings automatically, especially because it's unclear what to do with WebM. Moreover, even when MSE is disabled in browser the add-on still can be used just to disable HTML5 media. Probably in this case I should hide MSE option, but I'm not sure that it will not be even more confusing.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-03-01, 12:48

Well you could save the original settings and overlay the options window and grey them out adding a text label explaining it and if the extension is removed then restore the original settings. That is how I would do it if these settings ended up being critical to the extension.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-03-01, 23:41

coffeebreak wrote:
gracious1 wrote:For example, I discovered I cannot play videos in Vimeo with MSE enabled. How would I use this extension to tell PM it to disable MSE only for vimeo.com. I don't see any kind of toggle switch for this in the preferences.

Use the toolbar button while you're on any vimeo page..
What toolbar button? Is that for Windoze? There is no toolbar button when I installed this in Linux. I checked the "Customize" dialog, too. I've got nothing that looks like your screenshot.
Last edited by gracious1 on 2017-03-01, 23:47, edited 1 time in total.
20 July 1969 ๐ŸŒ— Apollo 11 ๐ŸŒ“ "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." ๐Ÿš€

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-03-01, 23:46

JustOff wrote:You should tick both "Enable MSE" and "Enable MSE for mp4 video" in browser options and then use HTML5 Media Tuner to selectively disable it as in example posted by coffeebreak above.
I don't have what coffeebreak has in his screenshot.

After installing this, I got no kind of button or command under "Tools" in the pull-down menu to do this. There is nothing that lets me control this at all. Nothing in the Customize dialog either. There is no tuner or control of any kind that lets me selectively disable anything.

Using PM 27.1.1 in Ubuntu 14.0.5

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-03-02, 03:20

gracious1 wrote:What toolbar button? Is that for Windoze? There is no toolbar button when I installed this in Linux. I checked the "Customize" dialog, too. I've got nothing that looks like your screenshot.

I'm on Windows 7, but the toolbar button is not intended only for Windows. When the add-on is first installed, the button is placed by default at the far R end of the status bar. Have you hidden your status bar?

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-03-02, 07:12

coffeebreak wrote: I'm on Windows 7, but the toolbar button is not intended only for Windows. When the add-on is first installed, the button is placed by default at the far R end of the status bar. Have you hidden your status bar?
Yes, it was hidden. I did not realize that Status Bar was where add-on buttons were being installed for some extensions. :shock: They have been popping up in the Navigation Toolbar up to now. Thanks. 8-)

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-03-02, 10:38

gracious1 wrote:Yes, it was hidden. I did not realize that Status Bar was where add-on buttons were being installed for some extensions. :shock:
HTML5 Media Tuner not only places its button in Status Bar, but also makes it visible, if it was hidden. It seems you hate this toolbar so much that hide it back immediately. ;)

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2017-07-11, 21:32

@JustOff:
Will you update this extension to work with PM 27.4?

LL25255252
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by LL25255252 » 2017-07-11, 21:48

Tomaso wrote:@JustOff:
Will you update this extension to work with PM 27.4?
Hi @Tomaso, I'm curious...This extension was very useful in early 2017 but for me with the current Pale Moon 27.3 plays OK all the media (MSE is set to ON in Options > Content > Video) without the need of the extension.
So my question is : Do you still use the extensions? If so on which sites do you use it :?: