Expose Noisy Tabs

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

wost_

Expose Noisy Tabs

Unread post by wost_ » 2016-10-30, 14:52

This is an extension which exposes noisy tabs containing audio or video elements. It adds indicator icons for tabs with sound being played on their websites. Includes mute/unmute feature. Kind of inspired by this thread and adisib's script :thumbup: .

More information and testing release here.

adisib
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Expose Noisy Tabs

Unread post by adisib » 2016-10-30, 16:10

Seems to be working great! Looking forward to it being added to Addons page.

wost_

Unread post by wost_ » 2016-10-30, 16:30

Actually, there is a problem with tab icon getting stuck sometimes. I'll try to fix all stupid issues before asking Tobin to get it on APMO. ;)

adisib
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by adisib » 2016-10-30, 16:45

Yes, I noticed it doesn't go away on page refresh.

_yuyu_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by _yuyu_ » 2016-10-30, 17:58

Seems not to work with Tab Mix Plus.
Pale Moon 32-bit on Win 7 x64

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-10-30, 18:50

_yuyu_ wrote:Seems not to work with Tab Mix Plus.
interaction between different extensions managing the same browser element is always a risk of not working.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

wost_

Unread post by wost_ » 2016-10-31, 03:14

Some fixes and improvements have been applied. It should work now with Tab Mix Plus I think.
Moonchild wrote:interaction between different extensions managing the same browser element is always a risk of not working.
Actually, this one was my stupidness and lack of XUL knowledge, rather than real extensions conflict :oops:

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2016-10-31, 12:57

Cool idea - working fine with Tab Utilities.

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

_yuyu_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by _yuyu_ » 2016-10-31, 15:30

wost_ wrote:Some fixes and improvements have been applied. It should work now with Tab Mix Plus I think.
The last version 0.1.1 does not show up for me even on clean profile. PM 26.5.0 on Win 7 x86.

wost_

Unread post by wost_ » 2016-10-31, 16:20

_yuyu_ wrote:
wost_ wrote:Some fixes and improvements have been applied. It should work now with Tab Mix Plus I think.
The last version 0.1.1 does not show up for me even on clean profile. PM 26.5.0 on Win 7 x86.
Maybe you have Flash activated? This only works with HTML5 media elements. It works fine for me here, on YouTube, Twitch, LiveLeak, Vimeo etc. If you have no Flash installed, then could you please give me a link to the website containing media you're trying it on? Maybe there is something requiring special treatment in there.

_yuyu_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by _yuyu_ » 2016-10-31, 17:22

wost_ wrote:
_yuyu_ wrote:
Maybe you have Flash activated? This only works with HTML5 media elements. It works fine for me here, on YouTube, Twitch, LiveLeak, Vimeo etc. If you have no Flash installed, then could you please give me a link to the website containing media you're trying it on? Maybe there is something requiring special treatment in there.
Flash is set to "never activate". Here's the link http://mp3party.net/music/66000 and http://zaycev.net/search.html?query_search=aguilera
The first version 0.0.1 worked fine for me (there was a conflict with TMP though).

Edit: oh yes, it works OK on test page and on Youtube, but not on those links i gave. Perhaps smth wrong with those sites, but they worked with the very first version.

wost_

Unread post by wost_ » 2016-10-31, 21:11

Again something stupid done by me. But thanks to adisib's sober mind it should work now as before. ;)

There are some websites where this extension misses dynamically loaded media content despite of DOM changes observation, but I didn't look deeply for a reason yet. Firefox's solution is based on something like a custom DOMMediaPlaying global event if I recall correctly, so it's reliable, but I don't think such a thing is available in PM codebase and have no idea how could this be provided to the core.

_yuyu_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by _yuyu_ » 2016-10-31, 22:02

wost_ wrote:it should work now as before. ;)
Great. Now it catches everything that plays)

Weishaupt

Unread post by Weishaupt » 2016-11-01, 12:04

It's really awesome that you started developing it.

Could someone send me an .xpi for it? I'm too stupid to compile it with Cygwin (I get a no build.sh command error). :oops:

wost_

Unread post by wost_ » 2016-11-01, 12:39

Weishaupt wrote:It's really awesome that you started developing it.

Could someone send me an .xpi for it? I'm too stupid to compile it with Cygwin (I get a no build.sh command error). :oops:
The .xpi file is available under Releases tab.

Weishaupt

Unread post by Weishaupt » 2016-11-01, 12:42

wost_ wrote: The .xpi file is available under Releases tab.
Thank you! I'm still a total GitHub n00b. :oops:

wost_

Unread post by wost_ » 2016-11-06, 03:09

The latest version seems to be detecting HTML5 media elements correctly, except for those not inserted into documents, like let audio = new Audio(); ... audio.play(); and Flash content. If I recall correctly, Noise Control for Firefox showed some unknown symbol for tabs containing Flash embedded elements. This isn't quite helpful. Not sure what to do with this. Additionally, selected tabs can be now muted/unmuted also with Ctrl+M keyboard shortcut.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2016-11-19, 19:12

I installed this yesterday. It doesn't seem to be working. When I play something at youtube in html5 there is no indicator in the tab, and I haven't gotten one on any site yet.

adisib
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by adisib » 2016-11-19, 21:21

helloimustbegoing wrote:When I play something at youtube in html5 there is no indicator in the tab, and I haven't gotten one on any site yet.
Perhaps another add-on is interfering?

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2016-11-19, 21:43

adisib wrote:
Perhaps another add-on is interfering?
Okay, here's a list of all my other add-ons:

Extensions:

1) Decentraleyes
2) NoScript
3) uBlock Origin

Appearance: Kempelton Reloaded (I never thought about this one. Could a theme be interfering with it?)

Plugins: Flash