Crush Those Cookies

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

wost_

Crush Those Cookies

Unread post by wost_ » 2016-08-20, 16:16

This is an extension which crushes those cookies which are no longer desirable. It simply removes cookies coming from domains which are not bound with any opened documents after specified delay. By default this also includes third-party cookies created inside such documents. Cookie crushing is triggered on changes of domains in opened tabs and also on tabs and browser's windows close. Whitelist can be used to exclude domains, subdomains or basic wildcard domains from crushing cookies of their origin. The extension comes with a toolbar menu button providing quick access to some common actions.

Crush Those Cookies was initially aimed to bring behavior a little bit similar to Self-Destructing Cookies for PM 27, but unfortunately it's not a real replacement for it.

You can find it at the Pale Moon add-ons website.
Last edited by wost_ on 2016-09-29, 11:27, edited 5 times in total.

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Crush Those Cookies

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2016-08-20, 21:36

Working as intended and will do for the time being once Pale Moon v27.0.0 is released. Though it needs a bit more shine, as in a better way of knowing if the cookies were crushed (notification) and if their whitelisted (color coded)? I would also like see a select all/export all feature introduced so we can easily copy and paste our whitelisted cookies to other devices using your add-on. Maybe through Sync so we can save all settings?
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

wost_

Unread post by wost_ » 2016-08-22, 01:37

It should now have pop-up notifications for crushed cookies (this can be also viewed in toolbar button's tooltip and in activity log accessible within toolbar button's menu) and half-grey toolbar button icon for whitelisted domain of an active document or just a document which won't be taken into consideration. Preferences sync is now included but I don't really know if it works. Additionally there is support for primitive dot and wildcard domains which means that for example .palemoon.org entry added into the whitelist will affect palemoon.org and forum.palemoon.org, but *.palemoon.org entry will affect only forum.palemoon.org. This wasn't extensively tested, the code is a joke and probably there are some performance issues as this is just an ugly draft at the moment. I'll try to improve this extension in my spare time though.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-08-22, 20:43

I will try your addon.
Many thanks for that great addon :thumbup:

Edit:
I test it now and it works nice :thumbup:

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2016-08-24, 11:41

I've also been using this, and it works for me as well.

Many thanks. Your efforts are appreciated!

wost_

Unread post by wost_ » 2016-08-25, 18:31

Although this is nowhere near powerful as Self-Destructing Cookies and can't be considered as a direct replacement, I'm glad some of you got interested in it.

Updated version includes cookie crushing triggered on browser's windows close and optionally on browser's last window close. That's because I've noticed there are people who only use separate windows to browse websites instead of tabs. It should cover that case more or less now.

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2016-08-26, 02:05

Nice! Major improvement! Love it!

Now could you please implement the maximized and minimized button as it makes it easier when coping and pasting base/subdomains into the whitelist field; less of a hassle when multitasking. Oh just thought of feature that may be desirable: A Edit button so we can conveniently change the base/subdomains of the URL? What do you think?

-PS: The new version of SDC (v0.4.10) whitelist's both http and https URLS, is there a significant reason?
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

wost_

Unread post by wost_ » 2016-08-26, 15:17

LimboSlam wrote:Now could you please implement the maximized and minimized button as it makes it easier when coping and pasting base/subdomains into the whitelist field; less of a hassle when multitasking. Oh just thought of feature that may be desirable: A Edit button so we can conveniently change the base/subdomains of the URL? What do you think?
Done. The minimize buttons and non-modal behavior, however, is not effective while accessing the preferences window within Add-ons Manager as it's platform dependent and on Windows it's forced to be a modal dialog (on Linux it's non-modal as far as I remember). So, it works fine within toolbar button's menu (Manage whitelisted domains & View activity log).
LimboSlam wrote:-PS: The new version of SDC (v0.4.10) whitelist's both http and https URLS, is there a significant reason?
Some smart guy stands behind SDC, he follows all the security aspects and generally has a proper knowledge about all things related to cookies mechanism. Honestly, the method used in my extension is plain stupid. It just checks a domain name value, without protocol and port, so it just takes https and http the same. I do realize this is very naive approach and I know it can be done way better, but for now I'll leave this as it is. I hope I'll find time to improve it somehow.

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2016-08-27, 00:28

wost_ wrote:Done. The minimize buttons and non-modal behavior, however, is not effective while accessing the preferences window within Add-ons Manager as it's platform dependent and on Windows it's forced to be a modal dialog (on Linux it's non-modal as far as I remember). So, it works fine within toolbar button's menu (Manage whitelisted domains & View activity log).
Sweet! :D Thanks again and keep up the great work. :thumbup:
wost_ wrote:Some smart guy stands behind SDC, he follows all the security aspects and generally has a proper knowledge about all things related to cookies mechanism. Honestly, the method used in my extension is plain stupid. It just checks a domain name value, without protocol and port, so it just takes https and http the same. I do realize this is very naive approach and I know it can be done way better, but for now I'll leave this as it is. I hope I'll find time to improve it somehow.
I see.... Well all is good and maybe in due time you'll have better understanding of this mechanism. Good luck until then.

Many, many thanks too. :)

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2016-08-28, 18:12

Will it allow you to have cookies disabled, but have a temporary whitelist like in SDC?

wost_

Unread post by wost_ » 2016-08-28, 21:35

Do you mean this feature?
SDC's FAQ wrote:Q: I have configured Firefox to block all cookies by default. Can I still use SDC?
A: There is an unsupported hidden setting that changes the behaviour of the "yellow" whitelist level from allow-for-session to allow-while-open. To enable it, create a boolean key in your about:config named "extensions.jid0-9XfBwUWnvPx4wWsfBWMCm4Jj69E@jetpack.defaultBlock" (without the quotes), set it to true and restart your browser. You can now use the "yellow" setting for sites whose cookies you would like to accept, but still have them self-destruct. I provide this on a "should work" basis, meaning that I depend on bug reports from you and don't do in-depth testing of this mode myself.
That would require additionally making it the other way around and I'm not sure if I'm able to do that. But I think there already are some extensions which can act as a cookie whitelist on their own. One or two have been mentioned somewhere in this thread if I recall correctly.

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2016-08-29, 05:26

Hey wost_, will this be added to APO anytime soon or is it not quite ready for everyday use? Honestly, it's ready.

Good job and keep it up! :thumbup: :D

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-08-29, 09:09

Yeah it would be awesome if your addon is available on Pale Moon addon site.

wost_

Unread post by wost_ » 2016-08-29, 15:53

Maybe when there will be some bigger changes done to the APMO regarding extensions and their compatibility with PM 27 in mind (if that's going to happen). Thanks for a suggestion though.

superA

Unread post by superA » 2016-09-03, 07:25

Hi wost_

I test your addon almost from day 1, since SDC is essential for me and all I can say is that the latest release 0.4.0 runs perfectly here ( Win7 x32, PM x32 stable and alfa2).
About your perfomance worries, it runs here light even lighter than SDC 0.4.9 and works as it should ( grace period set to 0).
Just a couple of glitches that I found, after a browser restart (via shift+F2) the icon is missing from the status bar and sometimes probably randomly it does not clear the first tab cookies.Since I close the second tab, cookies crushed alltogether.

Congrats, you're doing an excellent job here.

wost_

Unread post by wost_ » 2016-09-03, 20:35

Thanks. Some changes regarding these issues have been made but I'm not entirely sure if it's all completely fixed now. The new 0.4.1 version is up, but I didn't want to push it through automatic update at the moment.

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2016-09-10, 21:50

Thanks for the automatic update.

Keep it up! :thumbup:

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-09-10, 22:06

Yes, thanks for the updates!

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2016-09-11, 03:48

Ok, with this latest update, I've notice CTC is missing it's icon (whatever the toolbar is called where tabs lie on top) after a shutdown and restart of the browser. I already tried safe mode, as well as a new profile and nada. Can this please get fixed asap. Thanks! :)

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-09-11, 08:39

Can't confirm this.
Icon exist and works under 27 x64 alpa 2