"2nd Browser" (privacy/security)

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Burning Sun

"2nd Browser" (privacy/security)

Unread post by Burning Sun » 2016-02-29, 17:50

Greetings.

Background: I use PM + NoScript, Ghostery etc. for going around on the big bad web. But it can be time consuming and frustrating when I want to see a video or the comments on a particular page. We often have to repeatedly whitelist a nested series of javascript-origin sites and so on. Sometimes even that doesn't work. So now instead I open a 2nd Browser only for that one page. This extension simply makes opening that 2nd Browser more convenient, needing only one or two quick clicks and no copy/pasting. It's meant as a convenience.

I wrote it for myself and use it every day. Maybe someone else might also find it useful. (I polished it a little for public distribution, such as by adding a first-run screen and an icon.) More than being individually useful, it would be nice if extensions published here lead to other people also writing extensions for Pale Moon - and thereby helping in the movement to resist the big, spying browsers.

This extension demonstrates how to run another program from an SDK extension. That's in:
2nd-browser.xpi\resources\2nd-browser\lib\main.js
or once installed, more conveniently seen at:

Code: Select all

resource://2ndbrowser-at-burningsun/2nd-browser/lib/main.js
...so anybody could use the same procedure in their own extension to start any program and pass some args.

Usage: after install, use the options in Add-ons Manager to select whichever 2nd Browser to use. Call the 2nd Browser for the current page with the SDK button (it's a text "widget" for now) on the right of the status bar, or right-click any link.

I've been using it on latest PM Windows x64. I use a less restricted profile of PM as the 2nd Browser, since that seems best :) Firefox gets more and more... distasteful.
Attachments
2nd-browser.xpi
(43.02 KiB) Downloaded 112 times

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: "2nd Browser" (privacy/security)

Unread post by Isengrim » 2016-03-01, 04:29

Burning Sun wrote:Maybe someone else might also find it useful.
Already have, and I'm having one of those "Why Didn't I Think of This?" moments, as I'm in the same boat as you. Thanks for making this! :thumbup:

Burning Sun

Unread post by Burning Sun » 2016-03-02, 14:35

Isengrim wrote:
Already have, and I'm having one of those "Why Didn't I Think of This?" moments, as I'm in the same boat as you. Thanks for making this! :thumbup:
Thank you, Isengrim. Please let me know if there are any problems with it.

SfdudePM

2nd in PM/Linux not opening MIDORI browser

Unread post by SfdudePM » 2016-04-17, 20:16

Hi Burning Sun,

2nd is just what I was looking for. Thanks!.

XPI file installed OK on Ubuntu Linux 12.04 32-bit.

The "2nd" text icon now
shows up in the PM statusbar
and also in the Context menu,
(when you right-click on a web page).
Fine!

My 2nd browser is set to the MIDORI path:
/usr/bin/midori

But it doesn't open the "Midori" browser.
Nothing happens when I click on 2nd...
Help! :(

UPDATE: 2nd opens Firefox OK!
(although it pops out a window "Select your Profile" every time I "2nd-open" FF!).

But what I really would like is for 2nd to work w/Midori,
because it opens MUCH faster then FF...)

SFdudePM
PM 26.2.1 (latest version)
in Ubuntu Linux 12.04 32-bit
Last edited by SfdudePM on 2016-04-20, 11:42, edited 1 time in total.

CharmCityCrab

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2016-04-17, 22:32

Burning Sun wrote: This extension simply makes opening that 2nd Browser more convenient, needing only one or two quick clicks and no copy/pasting.
If you'd like, you can get your add-on hosted and listed on the Pale Moon add-on page for free, so users can find it more easily. Matt A. Tobin explains how in the first post on this thread:

http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php ... 97&p=68459

There are a lot of benefits to doing things that way, as he explains, and security-minded users have the peace of mind of knowing that it's been reviewed by the Pale Moon staff. :)

It's not mandatory by any means, just a way of getting your extension out there to more people who might enjoy or benefit from using it. :)

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2016-04-19, 21:59

Thank you Burning Sun, this is a really helpful extension. Tried it with Firefox portable and it works, but I try to open a second link I get the "Close Firefox" window ("Firefox is already running, but is not responding. The old Firefox process must be closed to open a new window".

Maybe a 3rd browser option could also be added, for IE for example?

distantpluto
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by distantpluto » 2016-04-20, 10:27

Thank you Burning Sun, very useful and working great on (Arch) Linux :thumbup:

I make use of the additional arguments, passing them to my "guests" script (which copies a set Firefox profile to /dev/shm (RAM), normally for visitors who need to go online). This differentiates "2nd Browser" from other options that could be passed. Great stuff!
Pale Moon and Epyrus on Arch Linux.

Greywool
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Greywool » 2016-04-28, 14:28

Very useful, though I am running in to a slight niggle with it.

Using Pale Moon version 26.2.1 (x64) on Windows 7 x64, also tested with PM 26.2.1 (x86)

Problem description:
I only need/want the right-click menu option on links, I have no need for the status bar "2nd" button.

Right-click -> Customise, drag'n'drop the button out of there, it's gone. Until I restart the browser:
It's back, uBlock Origin is gone and the resize-nubbins have been pushed two spots left from the corner. Identical behaviour every restart.
(Though on x86 PM, the new order slightly changes, but still it changes to the same order every time.)

If I leave the button there and restart, nothing disappears, but the nubbin is moved away from its place again:

When I completely disable 2nd Browser, the icons stay where they're supposed to:

If relevant, the extensions I have there from left to right: Redirector 2.9.3, Firebug 1.12.8.1-signed, uBlock Origin 1.6.8 and uMatrix 0.9.3.3.