Theme for KDE5

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

htuyar
Moonbather
Moonbather

Theme for KDE5

Unread post by htuyar » 2016-02-08, 13:57

A student of mine here at the Istanbul Technical University is working on a KDE5 theme for Pale Moon and Firefox as his senior project. I specifically asked him to target Pale Moon first, and then Firefox and possibly Thunderbird. The GitHub address is: https://github.com/necipkafadar/plasma5-theme-palemoon
Any suggestions and feedback to him and/or to me would be greatly appreciated.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Re: Theme for KDE5

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2016-02-08, 15:41

Themes for these applications are fundamentally different to each other, so it can be rather difficult to target all of them (or even more than one). That said, good luck to him! :thumbup:

Feel free to keep in touch should advice be required. :)

htuyar
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by htuyar » 2016-02-08, 18:19

Thank you so much. If we decide that it will be infeasible to target more than one, we'll stick to Pale Moon. I'd like to ask for recommendations on one topic: We are a computer engineering department and this is -AFAIK- the first senior project that focuses on something other than software and/or hardware design. I feel confident that the project is relevant and valuable in the scope of our department but the jury might be hesitant about the contribution not being very significant and might want to "see some code". We are planning a preferences panel type of work that will include some coding but could there be other points where my student could do meaningful coding as part of his project?

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2016-02-08, 18:25

If you want to keep purely to theming, you could produce an "options" extension, that provides various ways to alter the appearance of the theme. See Compact Moon and Noia Moon for examples of themes that do this.

htuyar
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by htuyar » 2016-02-08, 18:37

I was thinking along the same lines, OxygenKDE had a panel that would for example let the user select from KDE color schemes.We don't have to keep it purely to theming but I don't want to add irrelevant functionality just because there should be some coding. Do you know any examples of theming extensions that also include non-theming work?

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2016-02-08, 18:45

In terms of extensions that work in tandem with themes, I cannot. There are, however, extensions that change the appearance of the browser without being themes themselves. You can find many here and here, though possibly the most complex example is Classic Theme Restorer (Firefox only, does not work on Pale Moon).

htuyar
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by htuyar » 2016-02-08, 18:48

OK, thanks a lot.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-02-08, 20:51

Just tossing in my $0.02 here: user interface design is often overlooked as a making-or-breaking part of computer engineering; the judges need to understand that an interface to the human operator is equally important to have good design as underlying code or hardware is. It's a challenge to design a theme for a browser that not only looks good, but is also ergonomic and works across versions of an operating system, let alone cross-platform.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite