Smooth Scrolling Default

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
pocketdrummer

Smooth Scrolling Default

Unread post by pocketdrummer » 2012-06-05, 05:34

I can't stand smooth scrolling. I think this should be left off by default since it seems to slow the browser down (perception, not actual), and that doesn't jive with the essence of Pale Moon, IMHO.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Smooth Scrolling Default

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-06-05, 08:44

I'm working on improving the responsiveness and configurability of smooth scrolling to be released in 12.2 - there have been some holdups because of website/forum hosting issues but I should be able to get back to this very soon.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2012-06-05, 22:17

I like the present setup speed in smooth scrolling. Of course, one small turn of the mouse wheel equals 18 lines and it's fast enough for me.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-06-05, 22:21

For most people it's set to 3 lines, which makes it important to have slightly less of a delay by default.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

stravinsky

Unread post by stravinsky » 2012-06-06, 03:05

+1 for disabling smooth scroll by default.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-06-06, 08:33

stravinsky wrote:+1 for disabling smooth scroll by default.
Just wait until release of 12.2, it'll be a lot better with the default settings, and you get all the controls you want for enabling/disabling smooth scrolling for different things, as well as full control over the timings.

stravinsky

Unread post by stravinsky » 2012-06-06, 12:44

thats why we love PM :D

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-06-06, 14:38

Teaser:
Image1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rohugh

Unread post by Rohugh » 2012-06-06, 15:30

Teaser indeed. :cry:

When are we likely to see this, I want to play with it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-06-06, 16:02

Rohugh wrote:Teaser indeed. :cry:

When are we likely to see this, I want to play with it.
In 12.2 which is now in its testing phase.

stravinsky

Unread post by stravinsky » 2012-06-06, 18:24

love the scrolling options :)

when wll PM12.2 be released?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-06-06, 18:26

stravinsky wrote:when wll PM12.2 be released?
"When it's done" ;-)

(and that will always be the answer to that question)

Evil Moo

Unread post by Evil Moo » 2012-06-06, 20:35

Nice work with the smooth scrolling. Judging from the teaser, it might give me enough control to actually use smooth scrolling, which currently I choose not to as the rate of movement seems to vary in such a way as to induce something like very slight nausea. I look forwards to playing around with the settings.

context
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by context » 2012-08-02, 06:06

Can someone please explain the settings and intended effect of the duration parameters? With v12.3, I've experienced episodes of erratic scrolling when using the mouse wheel — and sometimes when trying to use the scroll bar. I'm unsure of which parameters to try to adjust or the magnitude of a worthwhile adjustment.

Thanks for any help.

steviem1

Unread post by steviem1 » 2012-08-02, 07:11

@context: The default settings are usually fine for the majority, but sometimes you may have problems with the mouse drivers or the mouse itself may be malfunctioning, which is an issue I recently had - look at those possibilties first.

Regarding the variable scrolling parameters, experimentation is the key to that one.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-08-02, 09:15

Smooth scrolling in v12 isn't 100% perfect yet, so you may on occasion (but it should be very rare) have "jerks" because of the way it's rendered on screen (and smooth scrolling requires a lot more screen refreshes).

As for your question, I guess the best way to explain is by example:

If you set the duration to e.g. 100 to 500 ms, then the distance scrolled (determined by your mouse setting for number of lines to scroll with the mouse wheel) is done in 500 ms when you go one "tick" with the wheel, down to the faster 100 ms (10 x the distance in a second) as a maximum if you scroll the wheel faster. Scrolling a few "ticks" will chain different durations together, somewhere between 100 and 500 ms, depending on the duration between your "ticks" and if you have already been scrolling before the "tick" happens.

Setting the lower parameter determines the maximum scroll speed when you scroll through a document fast - setting this lower will make content scroll faster but less smooth, with more chance of jerkiness.
Setting the higher parameter determines the longest time one operation will take - setting this higher will make things smoother but also make overall scrolling slower.