Bug Report :- Status Bar cannot show links.

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
alan9182

Bug Report :- Status Bar cannot show links.

Unread post by alan9182 » 2012-05-19, 10:53

Problems with both Portable and installed 32 bit versions of Palemoon 12.
I have not tested 64 bit or Beta versions.

It was showing links one day - but not after an overnight power-down.
I disabled absolutely all Addons and restarted Palemoon and it was still absent.

There are actually two problems.

The status Bar menu has an option "Show the Close Button".
On a fully functional instance of Portable P.M. I found it this morning and checked it and saw a small 'x' appear on the status bar.
I clicked and the status bar vanished.
Regrettably the status bar menu does not have an option "show the status bar".
I eventually found that the menu View => ToolBars included the "Status Bar" and it had been unchecked, and once I checked that then I again had a functional status bar.
Clicking a "x" at the bottom of the screen, and cancelling by using menus at the top of the screen seems comparable to a car having the accelerator under the driver's right foot,
and the brake pedal in a tool-box in the boot :)
I suggest it would be helpful if the Status Bar was always re-enabled at start-up if any links etc are supposed to appear within it.
It would avoid the bewilderment that beset me until I identified this peculiarity.

I do not think the "close button" was visible last night, and am sure that if it was I never clicked it.
I guess some random "disturbance in the force".

I only installed the non-portable P.M. last night, and this is the only problem I have seen with it.
This problem exists in Portable P.M. as well.

By default Adblock Plus Icon is on the extreme left of the Status Bar, and to its right appear extra data such as links and progress,
whilst on the extreme right is the Xmarks icon.
Portable P.M. sometimes moves the Xmarks icon to the left adjacent to AdBlock icon, and links have nowhere to appear.
I was so concerned with missing links that I do not know if any progress appeared anywhere.
I disabled all addons without fixing it.
This problem has written off two separate instances of Portable P.M.

Regards
Alan

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Bug Report :- Status Bar cannot show links.

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-05-19, 11:11

1. This is no different in Firefox, and this is also the reason why the close button, by default, is hidden in Pale Moon. Making it automatically re-appear when people have explicitly chosen to hide it is much worse than some brief search to make it visible again (and Ctrl+/ does the same thing, just FYI)

2. Normally, add-on icons are aligned right in the status bar. If they somehow get mixed up (due to an add-on problem, "disturbance in the force" or what-have-you), then you can always right-click the status bar, select "Customize", and repair the location/order of your icons and status indicators by dragging them around.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-05-19, 16:00

alan9182 wrote:By default Adblock Plus Icon is on the extreme left of the Status Bar, and to its right appear extra data such as links and progress, whilst on the extreme right is the Xmarks icon.
That is normal for AdBlock Plus, you can save the trouble from having to manually customize and drag if you get AdBlock Lite, much easier to just set it on the right with an option in the add-on, at least for a trackpad. XD
I have never experienced this on the Portable, yet I have not used the portable in a long time.

alan9182

Unread post by alan9182 » 2012-05-19, 16:19

For me it was not a brief search.
I thought it was an Add-on gone wrong and after disabling all Add-ons I extracted another portable instance.
I was beginning to think about the possibility that the Palemoon code had been corrupted and perhaps I should extract a new instance of code into the same folder,
hoping to enable the add-ons in the existing profile and avoid reconfiguring each of them.
I also tried reducing the size of the browser Window in-case the status bar was too low to see,
and toyed with the idea of experimenting with the monitor screen resolution.

I was not aware of any status bar control in Firefox.
This could well be due to Firefox never working right for me since version 6 or there-about.
It was such a relief when I came across Palemoon v.8 which gave me a stable browser that did what I wanted.

Thank you for your explanations on how to toggle the visibility of the status bar, and how to customise the position of icons.

I think the most likely cause for my loss of of the status bar is that I mistyped the ? character
and instead of holding down the shift key whilst striking the / character
by left finger slipped and held the Ctrl key thus toggling the status bar.

I have never before right-clicked the status bar.
I am not aware of any finger slip that would move the Xmarks icon from the extreme right to be adjacent to the ABP icon,
and at the same time remove other icons which had been on the right.
I thought this sudden partial icon loss and relocation was due to an add-on damaging PaleMoon,
but perhaps there are other Shift / Ctrl mishaps that might have done this.

I am happy that I now know how to regain the status bar.

Regards
Alan