FORUM POLL: Navigation colors

Talk about code development, features, specific bugzilla bugs, enhancements, patches, and other highly technical things.

Moderator: satrow

Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific referenced Bugzilla bugs, mercurial, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Most "bug reports" do not belong in this board and should initially be posted in Community Support or other relevant support boards.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.

Color in the navigation buttons?

Poll ended at Mon, 21 May 2012, 08:25

Yes, with color
40%
No, revert to grey
27%
It's fine either way!
33%

Total votes: 15

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

FORUM POLL: Navigation colors

Unread postby Moonchild » Sat, 19 May 2012, 08:25

OK, so, here goes: A poll on the forum as well about the navigation colors in 12.1

The 12.1 interface has received some subtle color in the navigation buttons as opposed to the 12.0 & Firefox skin for the browser.
Vote on what you feel looks best:
With color:
pmnav-yescolor.png
With color

Without color:
pmnav-nocolor.png
No color

Or of course if you think it's equally fine either way, you can vote for that as well!
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne

Rohugh
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: FORUM POLL: Navigation colors

Unread postby Rohugh » Sat, 19 May 2012, 09:17

As I have said before, I use small icons so to me it makes no difference but with the larger icons it improves "noticability". Voted "Fine either way"
Gaming:- Win 10 X64 2TB HD : 128GB SSD/16GB RAM · Pale Moon 26.1.1 (X64)
Desktop:- Win 10 X64 500GB HD/1TB External HD/8GB RAM · Pale Moon 26.1.1 (X86)
Laptop:- Win 10 X64 1TB HD/4GB RAM · Pale Moon 26.1.1

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread postby Night Wing » Sat, 19 May 2012, 10:56

I use large icons because I have "old eyes". I looked at both styles and I voted.....No Color.....simply because I don't care for one button to be a green color (Refresh Button), another button to be a goldish color (Bookmarks Button) and other buttons to be a blue color (Home, Back Buttons). All these different button colors reminds me of a kaleidoscope of colors which I'm not fond of.
Linux Mint 19.1 (Tessa) Xfce 64 Bit (Default OS) with 64 Bit linux Pale Moon
Windows 7 SP1, 64 Bit (Backup OS) with 32 Bit windows Pale Moon

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread postby Lootyhoof » Sat, 19 May 2012, 13:53

I voted "with colour". I like both versions, but I like the coloured version just that bit more.

megaman
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread postby megaman » Sat, 19 May 2012, 15:54

It needs more vibrance, I have never been down with the dull look, but we all have our preferences.
Curiosity leads to a world of experiments.

dark_moon

Unread postby dark_moon » Sat, 19 May 2012, 16:02

I vote for revert to grey.

lyceus
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread postby lyceus » Sun, 20 May 2012, 05:47

While we can see them, color or B/W are ok. LOL!

Evil Moo
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread postby Evil Moo » Sun, 20 May 2012, 23:11

Voted grey. It seems less distracting to me.

Not that it matters to me really as I use a comprehensive theme (FT DeepDark) that changes everything anyway.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread postby Moonchild » Mon, 21 May 2012, 09:17

Considering the overall result here and 0 downvotes on Facebook (not counting the one who only downvoted because Pale Moon (release, not beta) had frozen up on her), I'm not going to revert to grey. The colors are not "in your face" saturated and overall meet with positive or neutral responses, with the exception of people who seem to favor dark themes for their browser (and the inverted icons aren't touched) or who find the change less desirable because of vision issues.

The bottom line is that I can't please everyone; I think it improves affordance and intuitiveness of the UI, and that alone is a good reason to use the colors. Mozilla is actually much more directive in its approach and listens less to its users when it comes to Firefox's UI changes (or they would have retained the status bar in v4, for example).
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne

dark_moon

Unread postby dark_moon » Mon, 21 May 2012, 16:48

Very bad. So we need a theme with the old colors.

Rohugh
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread postby Rohugh » Mon, 21 May 2012, 17:17

dark_moon wrote:Very bad. So we need a theme with the old colors.

If you use the Stratiform add-on it lets you set a lot of things for the UI, tab width, colors, icons, button shape, etc. Nice add-on for those who like customising. :)
Gaming:- Win 10 X64 2TB HD : 128GB SSD/16GB RAM · Pale Moon 26.1.1 (X64)
Desktop:- Win 10 X64 500GB HD/1TB External HD/8GB RAM · Pale Moon 26.1.1 (X86)
Laptop:- Win 10 X64 1TB HD/4GB RAM · Pale Moon 26.1.1

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread postby Moonchild » Mon, 21 May 2012, 17:28

dark_moon wrote:Very bad. So we need a theme with the old colors.

I already told you how to get the old theme back, by using a different toolbar.png - I don't understand why that is so difficult to follow for someone who is already using the userChrome.css files to tweak their browser. At your own risk, you can also replace the toolbar.png file in your browser.jar with one that has no color, which also takes all but 1 minute to do.

There are also, as Ro said, plenty of other theme solutions out there that you can try if the solution is too difficult or if you hate the skin with a passion. Calling it "very bad" is really childish for not getting your way... :eh:
If it was really that bad, I'd certainly have heard a lot more negative feedback from it.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread postby Night Wing » Mon, 21 May 2012, 19:06

Rohugh wrote:If you use the Stratiform add-on it lets you set a lot of things for the UI, tab width, colors, icons, button shape, etc. Nice add-on for those who like customising. :)

Thanks for the tip on the Stratiform addon. :)
Linux Mint 19.1 (Tessa) Xfce 64 Bit (Default OS) with 64 Bit linux Pale Moon
Windows 7 SP1, 64 Bit (Backup OS) with 32 Bit windows Pale Moon

dark_moon

Unread postby dark_moon » Mon, 21 May 2012, 19:49

Yes i will try the css code. Thanks

Return to “Development (discussion)”