Pale Moon 12.1 Public Beta 4

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Pale Moon 12.1 Public Beta 4

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-05-15, 18:30

This is an update to the public beta to address serious javascript stability issues.

With the change of development schedule and actually setting out to implement desired changes on the v12 base build that is now released, some decent progress is made in terms of version 12.1 - Beta 4 is a public beta for the curious and daring, to have a preview of what is to come.

Notable changes in this version compared to 12.0 release:
  • Some changes to memory handling which potentially keep memory use better within bounds, and disabled a redundant library with hazardous code
  • Additional often-requested options in the Option window under the Tabs category to reduce the need for about:config editing (Insert related tabs next to current tab, and closing the window with the last tab in a window or not)
  • A drop-down choice in the same screen to configure what to show in a new tab: a blank tab, the Pale Moon start page or the "QuickDial" page.
  • Dynamic smooth scrolling algorithm for mouse wheel, arrow keys, PgUp/PgDn/Space, etc.
  • Smooth scrolling enabled by default (If you don't like it, disable it under Options -> Advanced -> tab General -> [ ] Use smooth scrolling)
  • Some color back in the navigation controls - People have enjoyed color monitors for decades, so this whole move to grey-on-grey UI elements is odd and makes things rather drab. Having some indicative color on controls also improves their intuitiveness, so hopefully a well-received improvement.
  • Update to the status bar code to fix pop-up status not switching sides on mouse-over, as well as using a safer allocation/destruction mechanism for controls (potentially preventing memory leaks)
This thread on the forum will be used to record feedback to this public beta 4 only; please keep generic support requests out of this thread and in the appropriate other boards/topics. Feedback is appreciated on the changes listed above and any beta-specific issues not found in 12.0-release or any other version.

Any posts specific to this beta posted elsewhere on the forum are likely not going to be taken into account. Please do help keep things organized.

You can download the beta from the work-in-progress page on the Pale Moon website.
Installer SHA-1: 2cc6a4ace4840f6c7dab11e9c64f999c35770da4
ZIP SHA-1: a9d89d18e36573d64d681af9d0eabdf37d7b4cee
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Rohugh

Re: Pale Moon 12.1 Public Beta 4

Unread post by Rohugh » 2012-05-15, 19:27

The "editing posts" problem I reported with Beta 3 seems to have gone now, all appears working as it should - thanks Moonchild.

I have set my beta 4 profile as my default and will shout if anything else comes up. :)

Pnume

Unread post by Pnume » 2012-05-16, 00:22

I also made it my default.

It's working great.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2012-05-16, 03:52

I had troubles to accessing in Yahoo mail, Gmail, Youtube with 12.1b3, I was about to report it when I saw the b4 and replaced versions. So far works nice. :)

Ryrynz

Unread post by Ryrynz » 2012-05-17, 06:21

Love the new options.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2012-05-18, 17:12

Have 2 problems with this version under Windows 7 SP1 x64:
# Why have the reload/ stop button and the bookmark button now a strange color?:

# Under settings-tabs i have a empty window:

And no, no theme change that. I have only some own css settings and remove that dont chance this bugs

Edit: Ah i see, the color change is a "improvment". Please remove that or tell how i can change it.

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-05-18, 17:51

dark_moon wrote:Have 2 problems with this version under Windows 7 SP1 x64:
# Why have the reload/ stop button and the bookmark button now a strange color?:

And no, no theme change that. I have only some own css settings and remove that dont chance this bugs

Edit: Ah i see, the color change is a "improvment". Please remove that or tell how i can change it.
The color thing was intentional. (I did not notice the Edit)

I see the tab problem sometimes as well, that is why I re-install the browser.
Edit: Sometimes the Sync section gets the same problem, but my solution of re-installing the browser works.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2012-05-18, 18:00

Hmm i just update from Pale Moon 12 to 12.1 without a re-install.

Rohugh

Unread post by Rohugh » 2012-05-18, 18:16

If you just download the beta to the same folder you had PM 12 on it will just perform an update. I have two profiles running separately Pale Moon and Pale Moon beta (different folders in Program Files) so I can easily revert if there is a problem with the beta. I will say that having run beta 4 since it was released I have found no problems - but I don't see any color change in the icons.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2012-05-18, 18:30

I check the bugs in a fresh profile and the empty tab window isnt there. Only the buttons have the same new color.

@Rohugh: Hmm, maybe you use a theme or some CSS code, so you dont see the changes.

Rohugh

Unread post by Rohugh » 2012-05-18, 18:39

dark_moon wrote: @Rohugh: Hmm, maybe you use a theme or some CSS code, so you dont see the changes.
Hah, you are right, I am using the Persona "Win 7 Simply Gray", when I revert to the default theme I see the colors. But, I like grey (sorry Moonchild) so I am happy with no color. *Reverts persona*

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-05-18, 19:30

dark_moon wrote:Have 2 problems with this version under Windows 7 SP1 x64:

# Under settings-tabs i have a empty window:

You obviously missed that the back and forward buttons also have received some color, so I guess it can't be that obnoxious ;)
There is no easy way to remove the color, because it is part of the built-in theme. I do notice however that your button faces don't show at all except the round back button. What did you do when you customized it to have that happen?

The empty tab window shouldn't happen, but maybe there's a problem because you are using a German language pack. I gathered it would simply show the new strings in English with the rest being in German, but if that's not the case then I have to find some solution for it.
How did you update?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-05-18, 19:37

That was the same problem I had, so I re-installed from scratch, I use the English version, default English most likely.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2012-05-18, 19:49

Yeah the forward buttons have a other color too. I need the old color.
I dont like the new color buttons.

You mean the background of my others buttons, like the back button have?

I just install this beta over my existing pale moon 12.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-05-18, 19:50

megaman wrote:That was the same problem I had, so I re-installed from scratch, I use the English version, default English most likely.
Same question for you: how did you install it initially?

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-05-18, 19:58

Moonchild wrote:
megaman wrote:That was the same problem I had, so I re-installed from scratch, I use the English version, default English most likely.
Same question for you: how did you install it initially?
I was telling you about that in the "hmm" section, so that is what I was talking about, but clean installation fixed it. That was some time ago.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-05-18, 19:59

Normally, the buttons, even on a dark persona, would have an actual button face and border.
This is 12.1 with the dark Pale Moon persona installed:
buttonbg1.png
EDIT: And also, if you use a properly defined dark theme, it will invert the looks of the controls, which will use B&W ones, which didn't happen there either. maybe your CSS?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2012-05-18, 20:20

Yes i use some CSS codes.
The line for my nav-bar is this:
#nav-bar{background:none!important;padding:0!important}
But this dont remove the background from the back button

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-05-18, 20:38

dark_moon wrote:Yes i use some CSS codes.
The line for my nav-bar is this:
#nav-bar{background:none!important;padding:0!important}
But this dont remove the background from the back button
OK well that's one thing solved then, considering I was missing the backgrounds there. Sorry if it looks ugly with that CSS removing button backgrounds - I guess you'll just have to tweak it ;)

I can confirm that using the 12.* language packs doesn't provide a fallback to the English and prevents the tabs preferences window from showing :(
So, I'll have to adapt the language packs - all 80 or so of them.
And I'll have to make a clear statement that people have to upgrade their language pack when they upgrade from 12.0 to 12.1, since
I didn't anticipate this problem when making the 12.0 language packs and the max version is set to "any 12.x version" in them - And I'll have to find a way to set up localization so people can contribute to adding the few additional strings needed for Pale Moon :think:

EDIT: I'm going to change this another way so as to not break people's running localized setups.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2012-05-18, 20:44

I can help you for the german translations, if you want.

And will you change the button color back to "normal" ?
I dont want use a theme, just for changing the buttons.