Skipping the Firefox 10 code base: no significant changes.

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Skipping the Firefox 10 code base: no significant changes.

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-01-14, 14:55

Referring to: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Features/Release_Tracking#Firefox_10

As far as I can tell, there is nothing whatsoever that would be important or even interesting to Pale Moon users planned for Firefox 10. It doesn't fix the long-standing animated image issue (that's pushed to v11), it adds a lot of "web developer" tools that the average user would never, ever use, and it makes a change to the add-on handling because they realized that people are getting really sick of being told half of their add-ons are "incompatible" every 6 weeks that is insignificant if the version number isn't bumped by skipping it ;).

Unless someone can make a strong and convincing point to put time into developing v10 of Pale Moon (and no, "because Firefox 10 is a major release" is not a convincing argument) I'll be skipping this one and focus on the much more interesting and significant v11 for halfway in March.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Ryrynz

Re: Skipping the Firefox 10 code base: no significant change

Unread post by Ryrynz » 2012-01-15, 02:43

Sounds like a great idea, that way it gives you some free time and perhaps focus on specific Pale Moon enhancements, please consider a beta release of 11 though :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-01-15, 10:37

The problem with beta releases with the current rapid release schedule is that for a beta, specifically, I'll have to make all edits to the tree - then for the actual release version, I have to implement those changes -again- since merging doesn't work properly (as I painfully found out with v9). That's a lot of unnecessary work, time and effort.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Ryrynz

Unread post by Ryrynz » 2012-01-15, 23:12

It would make sense to not bother with it then, guess I got Pale Moon to look forward to as my birthday comes up :D