What happens to Pale Moon when Firefox's Holly branch dies?

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
jumba

Re: What happens to Pale Moon when Firefox's Holly branch di

Unread post by jumba » 2014-03-04, 10:52

access2godzilla wrote:They don't read every comment -- but they do look for things such as "horrible", "awesome" to understand where things are going.
OR they count the swear words :D

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-03-04, 11:18

jumba wrote:
access2godzilla wrote:They don't read every comment -- but they do look for things such as "horrible", "awesome" to understand where things are going.
OR they count the swear words :D
They probably automatically filter the swear words. And then they go "See, hardly any swearing going on, people love Australis!" (oh, the wonders of statistics) :D
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

opera1215b1748

Unread post by opera1215b1748 » 2014-03-04, 11:51

:(
Now you can understand my feelings about the Presto->Webkit transition in the someotherbrowser...

Daikun
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Daikun » 2014-03-13, 23:03

You'll be missed, Holly branch. Image

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-03-14, 01:01

Better grab your binaries of Holly while you still can...
I'll be pulling the latest hg updates and keeping a copy of the Holly source tree on my disk, just in case.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-03-14, 02:08

On the very first page of this topic, I said I thought Mozilla would kill off Holly when Australis got close enough.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Daikun
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Daikun » 2014-03-14, 03:49

Moonchild wrote:I'll be pulling the latest hg updates and keeping a copy of the Holly source tree on my disk, just in case.
Nice! :thumbup:

Jonguy30

Unread post by Jonguy30 » 2014-03-14, 09:02

It's too bad that "Australis" is getting forced down on everyone. Maybe even the next ESR will have Australis too?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-03-14, 09:32

Jonguy30 wrote:Maybe even the next ESR will have Australis too?
Extremely likely, which is going to be a problem for corporate users.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2014-03-14, 09:40

So in the worst case..If firefox dies any day because they make their browser even more unusable.
What then?
It doesn't exist any other good browser which are OpenSource, secure and good.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-03-14, 09:58

Nobody is stopping me from permanently branching off from Mozilla any time I want. :)
I have no intention of letting Pale Moon die.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2014-03-14, 10:16

Perfect! Thats what i want to read :)

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-03-14, 14:11

I think it's very safe to say Australis will be in the next Firefox 31 ESR version. I'd go all in and bet the farm on that.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2014-03-14, 17:53

Sure it is. Because Mozilla wants as fast as possible force feed everyone the "blessings" of their Mozilla Chrome! :thumbdown:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-03-14, 19:37

As it is, it seems that the Holly branch, even though green in tinderbox, refuses to build on my dev machine. Probably something to do with Visual Studio 2012 because it wants to do something totally backwards when building libvpx... someone having the bright idea to make .obj code then pulling data from the .obj with an extractor...? :crazy: I tried to build it just to have a look at the "final" state of that branch, but oy. No go.

I'll have to do some research as to why it won't build in vs2012. might be important for later versions of the Mozilla code as well, if it ever becomes a required switch.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-03-14, 20:03

Moonchild wrote:I'll have to do some research as to why it won't build in vs2012. might be important for later versions of the Mozilla code as well, if it ever becomes a required switch.
I hope you can figure it out since Pale Moon, which is my default browser, affects me in both Windows and Linux.

Daikun
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Daikun » 2014-03-15, 00:31

Moonchild wrote:As it is, it seems that the Holly branch, even though green in tinderbox, refuses to build on my dev machine. Probably something to do with Visual Studio 2012 because it wants to do something totally backwards when building libvpx... someone having the bright idea to make .obj code then pulling data from the .obj with an extractor...? :crazy: I tried to build it just to have a look at the "final" state of that branch, but oy. No go.

I'll have to do some research as to why it won't build in vs2012. might be important for later versions of the Mozilla code as well, if it ever becomes a required switch.
2012 isn't the latest version of VS. Maybe try upgrading to 2013?

If that doesn't help, why don't you give an alternate program a try?

I know they might not be as advanced as VS, but maybe you can use these for testing and analyzing any different results that may occur.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-03-15, 07:44

Daikun wrote:2012 isn't the latest version of VS. Maybe try upgrading to 2013?
I don't have half a grand to blow just to see if I can build an alt branch ;)
Switching studio versions is also not trivial.

Besides, I think the problem is not "not having the latest" - Mozilla uses an older version; the code generated by vs2012 may not work for the extractor program (the risk of relying on this backwards method of getting data)
Daikun wrote:If that doesn't help, why don't you give an alternate program a try?
Your suggested alternate being Microsoft VS2008... :) That's not an alternate program.
Besides, I'm not going back to 2008 or 2010. VS 2012 has too many advantages for building (which is why it was bought to begin with).

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2014-03-15, 08:06

Moonchild wrote:I don't have half a grand to blow just to see if I can build an alt branch ;)
Switching studio versions is also not trivial.
Didn't the switch start because you had a trial version of 2012 that you tested and it proved beneficial?
If it works, just set up another campaign.
I mean, it would be easier if it was VS every 3 years, like Office 2007, 2010, 2013. (On the wallets, of course)

The concern is when Holly dies, we lose customization? No other way? Unless build from scratch, right?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-03-15, 09:14

I don't see a reason to switch to VS2013, to begin with :P
It focuses heavily -- even more than 2012 -- on "Microsoft Store" (metro) app development which I'm not interested in.

And Holly has died. Looks like the UX team told Mike Conley to stop updating it with the move from Aurora to Beta.

The question is now: should I grab beta, and continue the work where it was left off, backing out Australis patches but keeping other patches? That's going to be a day job since I don't have the infrastructure to automate try builds; I don't have time for that, really.
In addition, Holly = FF29; that's not going to be the code base for the next ESR so it'll be a problem trying to keep it patched up.

I'll be better off doing what I planned, which is sitting the cycle out, seeing how Australis is received and what Mozilla does as a response, and work on 31ESR as a new code base when it's (near) completed.