Client-side auto-translation

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Navigator
Fanatic
Fanatic

Client-side auto-translation

Unread post by Navigator » 2024-03-04, 21:54

Firefox now has a form of client-side auto-translation in beta. I would like to know if there is a possibility of porting this to Pale Moon. Unlike earlier requests/proposals for auto-translation this one should not, on the face of it, "inevitably have to rely on a service provider to provide the translation."

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/f ... translate/
While other browsers rely on cloud services, the Firefox Translations language models are downloaded on the user’s browser and translations are done locally, so Mozilla doesn’t record what webpages you translate.

When you translate a webpage, it stays private

When your translations are processed locally, no data from your chosen device leaves your device or relies on cloud services for translation. This means that Mozilla doesn’t know what web page you translate, and makes our translation feature stand out in comparison to other translation tools.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Client-side auto-translation

Unread post by moonbat » 2024-03-04, 22:10

Port it as an extension if you want. There is zero need for such bloat in the browser core. Firefox does it because they chose to dump the original and powerful XUL extension system for the much more limited Web Extensions; Pale Moon hasn't. There are other translation extensions on the Pale Moon addons site that do the job even if they aren't fully offline.

In fact, before suggesting any feature, ask yourself whether it can or has already been implemented as an extension. Extensions exist because if you ask 50 people what they want in a browser you'll get 50 different answers and you cannot cater to all of them without vastly bloating the core browser. A web browser is for displaying HTML content. It's not a media player, a PDF viewer, a virtual reality engine (Google has added VR specs to the HTML5 standard) or any of a dozen other of what used to be standalone applications.

Every bit of bloat you see in Firefox starting with Pocket and now this - could have been implemented as a separate extension so that only those who wanted it would install it.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Navigator
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Navigator » 2024-03-04, 22:15

moonbat wrote:
2024-03-04, 22:10
In fact, before suggesting any feature, ask yourself whether it can or has already been implemented as an extension.
The first thing I did is look for an extension and I didn't find anything similar. If this can be ported as an extension that's great. I don't know how to do something like that or even if it is possible. That's why I am asking.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2024-03-04, 22:37

As long as the original licenses are open source, including for the translation data, it should be fine to recreate as an extension. In the short term if you want translations and aren't particular about the offline capability, there are already other extensions that use Google Translate.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX