v33 public beta

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
ag0044
Moonbather
Moonbather

Re: v33 public beta

Unread post by ag0044 » 2024-01-25, 06:41

Windows 10 Pro 22H2.

Closed Pale Moon. Made a backup of my profiles.

Extracted the beta files into C:\Program Files\Pale Moon Beta. Created a shortcut on the the Desktop. Double-clicked the shortcut, and all on-screen activity stopped - froze. Could not move the mouse pointer. No keyboard response either. Had to press and hold the power switch.

After re-booting, I changed the shortcut by adding "-P". Double-clicked that, and same result. Didn't even get to the Profile Manager.

Probably just me or my machine. I'm willing and happy to try again with whatever diagnostic tools.
Usually, I'm wrong. But, sometimes, I'm right.
Usually, I'm Left. But, sometimes, I'm Right.
Usually, I'm left-handed. But, sometimes, I'm right-handed.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-01-25, 08:25

ag0044 wrote:
2024-01-25, 06:41
Extracted the beta files into C:\Program Files\Pale Moon Beta. Created a shortcut on the the Desktop. Double-clicked the shortcut, and all on-screen activity stopped - froze. Could not move the mouse pointer. No keyboard response either. Had to press and hold the power switch.
Ouch. I'm afraid that might be your machine, though, and Pale Moon unfortunately triggering what the problem is. Hard lockups like that usually don't happen because of something running as a normal application and pretty much always indicate a driver or hardware issue. Try running some diagnostic tools (memtest86 etc)

FTR I'm on the same edition of Windows 10 (64).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ag0044
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by ag0044 » 2024-01-25, 11:12

Thanks for that. I didn't really think it was PM beta. Memtest showed no errors.

The machine is getting older, like me. Intel i5, with a NVIDIA GeForce GT640 video card. It has been a solid performer for over 10 years.

I have a vague recollection that this happened before (last 12 months?). My vaguer, highly dubious, recollection was that it was with a beta of Basilisk. When the release was final, it worked perfectly.

What am I going to do without Pale Moon? [rhetorical]

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2024-01-25, 13:09

ag0044 wrote:
2024-01-25, 11:12
I have a vague recollection that this happened before (last 12 months?). My vaguer, highly dubious, recollection was that it was with a beta of Basilisk. When the release was final, it worked perfectly.
There might be some codepaths being enabled when we release beta builds that aren't enabled in release builds. We don't really do beta builds that often, so it's possible there are bugs specific to beta builds that we haven't really stumbled upon.

The thing that stands out to me here is that you say this happened twice, both times with a beta version of a UXP application. It probably isn't our code, but that does stand out as weird to me.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2024-01-29, 14:01

sanstones wrote:
2024-01-25, 01:52
But one thing that is still a problem for me is hanging when checking out on any site that uses Shopify. Have to kill and restart Pale Moon. That started sometime last fall. i.e. bulkeez.com
Please create a separate topic, so this can be tracked down.
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.

ag0044
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by ag0044 » 2024-01-31, 12:28

Thank you Moonchild and Athenian for your help.

Just so you know - and can ponder? - I've now installed PM33, and it's working fine, as is my machine. Which makes it all beyond my understanding.

[edit: spelling]

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-01-31, 15:20

well the beta is compiled with slightly different code paths and optimizations, so maybe it just tickled it wron.

otherwise I can only suggest it was this fella:
gremlin-f.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite