PM Search Partnership?

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: PM Search Partnership?

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-12-11, 05:17

suzyne wrote:
2023-12-11, 05:09
Similarly, search engines have limited space for their first and second pages of results,
Which is fine, they can push down the conspiracy theories in the list rather than block them silently. If you search for 'moon landing' you will get results about the landings themselves first, not about it being a hoax. If you specifically go looking for hoaxes it will serve those up.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

suzyne
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by suzyne » 2023-12-11, 05:37

athenian200 wrote:
2023-12-11, 05:02
DDG's previous partnership with Yandex
That's interesting, I didn't know that!
Laptop 1: Windows 10 64-bit, i7 @ 2.80GHz, 16GB, NVIDIA GeForce MX450.
Laptop 2: Windows 10 32-bit, Atom Z3735F @ 1.33GHz, 2GB, Intel HD Graphics.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2023-12-11, 06:40

moonbat wrote:
2023-12-11, 03:55
Or to put it succinctly, quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Better to expose crank conspiracy theories and dumb ideas to the light to be examined and debunked than to hide them away.
Bingo!
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2023-12-11, 07:44

Are there any search engines that simply query the big ones (Google, Bing, Yandex etc.) and present all the results?
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-12-11, 08:52

Pentium4User wrote:
2023-12-11, 07:44
Are there any search engines that simply query the big ones (Google, Bing, Yandex etc.) and present all the results?
Those are called meta-search engines and most of them are like that. DDG uses Bing and Yahoo, Startpage uses Google and so on. It's much harder for a small search engine to build its own index although there are a few that have tried.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2023-12-11, 12:46

tooshorttoolong wrote:
2023-12-10, 17:04
Yes, I did that because I couldn’t find a way to edit the existing search engines…
The Organize Search Engines extension is quite excellent.

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2023-12-11, 13:19

I have ContextSearchX to have a comfortable way to switch engines, but that doesn't solve the problem itself: A meta search engine that aggregates the results of multiple ones.
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-12-11, 14:47

I said it before but it seems it bears repeating: DDG's search results depend on the results they get from their upstream search result providers.
In the EU this means Microsoft, and Microsoft was/is complying with the order in the EU about what sites to allow/downrank or not. DDG is their downstream, and they can only present as much as is given to them.

And that comes directly from my discussion with Gabriel Weinberg when I flagged this as a potential problem to DDG in March 2022. Can't be more truthful than straight from the mouth of the CEO, I think.
Regardless of how many news outlets ran with the "DDG is censoring!!!1! Quick run away!" story and repeated it, you have to understand the actual situation there.

As Gabriel has shared elsewhere:
Search engines by definition put relevant higher quality sites over lower ones for every search. This isn’t censorship, it’s just search rankings. DuckDuckGo is not censoring results. We are simply using the fact that these sites are engaging in active disinformation campaigns as a ranking signal that the content they produce is of lower quality, just like there are signals for spammy sites and other lower-quality content. Current examples are Russian state-sponsored media sites like RT and Sputnik.
And from my management contact at DDG:
(We) are looking to independent organizations who assess the objective reporting standards of sites that put out news content, and are explicitly ignoring any political or bias assessments. Any search user should want news sites with better reporting standards higher up in the results relative to news sites with essentially no reporting standards. In any case, unless we're legally mandated to remove sites (like in the EU), sites still show up in search results, just a bit further down the page for general queries. And for navigational queries (like if you type in the name of the site or do a site search), the lower-quality signal isn't used at all. This is really no different than the hundreds of other signals search engines use to distinguish higher quality from lower quality sites when producing search rankings.
Given that context I've continued my partnership with them and kept DDG as the default search engine. There are currently no other partners of note. Google has made it clear they mean us harm. Bing isn't accepting direct partnerships, and indirect partnerships with them are on hold as the main intermediary is headquartered in Israel and they have suspended all operations with the war. Yahoo is a non-starter. Mojeek is apparently not ready to offer a partnership, and other engines are too small to offer anything significant as far as I know. So, it is what it is, for the moment.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Figueroa
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Figueroa » 2023-12-12, 02:42

Pallid Planetoid wrote:
2023-12-10, 17:26
Btw, how DID you add DDG "manually" (that you mentioned you had done, that because of doing it yourself - didn't have the parameter)? (maybe you did it a long time ago before PM started limiting search engines to its "search plugin" page - because I recall at some point in the past search engines COULD BE added "manually" w/out restrictions).
It's now built into Pale Moon. If you go to some place that has a search box, like this one:
https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/

you can add it to your search engines. Click the drop-down arrow in your search box while you are on that page, and you will see an entry for Add "Pale Moon Add-ons Site".

Figueroa
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Figueroa » 2023-12-12, 02:49

Pentium4User wrote:
2023-12-11, 07:44
Dogpile is a metasearch engine that I use on occasion.
https://www.dogpile.com/

gabrgv
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by gabrgv » 2023-12-12, 22:13

To manually add DDG to Pale Moon/Basilisk:
•Search anything (v.g., “Pale Moon”)
•Get the URL (v.g., https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Pale+Moon)
•Change the query to “%s” (v.g., https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%s)
•Bookmark the new URL and set a keyword (v.g., “d”)
•Now when type ‘d’ + ‘space’ + ‘search query’ in the search bar you will search through that bookmark (v.g., “d Pale Moon”).

That way you can keep the DDG settings even when you have cookies disabled, using the bookmarklet URL generated here (then add ‘?t=palemoon’ to the beginning).

To not encode characters, use %S instead.

Metasearch engines:
SearXNG
4get

somdcomputerguy
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by somdcomputerguy » 2023-12-15, 11:52

I came across this entry in DDG's online help docs last night. Well, part of it.. - https://duckduckgo.com/?t=palemoon&q=%2 ... %22&ia=web :shifty: :shifty:
:cool: -bruce /* somdcomputerguy.com */
'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'