Does Pale Moon have 100% CPU usage when visiting Google Maps like Firefox did before the 120.0.1 update?

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Piotr Kostrzewski
Lunatic
Lunatic

Does Pale Moon have 100% CPU usage when visiting Google Maps like Firefox did before the 120.0.1 update?

Unread post by Piotr Kostrzewski » 2023-12-01, 10:05

Hello,
As in the title, Does Pale Moon have 100% CPU usage when visiting Google Maps like Firefox did before the 120.0.1 update?
I haven't noticed it myself, but maybe it's possible.
Have a nice day.
Article: https://www.ghacks.net/2023/12/01/firef ... IWRg7mIo-w

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Does Pale Moon have 100% CPU usage when visiting Google Maps like Firefox did before the 120.0.1 update?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-12-01, 10:56

Not sure why you think it would affect Pale Moon. Our rendering back-end is considerably different from Firefox.

Verified it not being an issue though, just in case. As you can see, CPU usage is low (see meter top right)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Piotr Kostrzewski
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Does Pale Moon have 100% CPU usage when visiting Google Maps like Firefox did before the 120.0.1 update?

Unread post by Piotr Kostrzewski » 2023-12-01, 11:38

Moonchild wrote:
2023-12-01, 10:56
Not sure why you think it would affect Pale Moon. Our rendering back-end is considerably different from Firefox.

Verified it not being an issue though, just in case. As you can see, CPU usage is low (see meter top right)
I didn't think this definitely applied to Pale Moon.
I asked.
My consumption is also low.
I asked to know.
Thank you.
Update:
Have you ever thought about creating a browser on a completely proprietary engine without any connection to Firefox?
Last edited by Piotr Kostrzewski on 2023-12-01, 12:06, edited 2 times in total.

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2023-12-01, 12:02

I seldom use Google Maps (prefer Openstreetmap, unless I have to compute travel time via public transport which is only in Google Maps). Under Linux I may see occasional transient peaks to 6-7% CPU (procmeter3) while searching, but otherwise remains within the usual 2-3% with all the rest.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

Wrolf
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Wrolf » 2023-12-06, 12:25

Piotr Kostrzewski wrote:
2023-12-01, 11:38
Have you ever thought about creating a browser on a completely proprietary engine without any connection to Firefox?
Which proprietary engine would you suggest? (I ask because creating their own engine would be very costly and take very long time, and is probably totally out of the question.) (And I suppose that in this context we're excluding the Goanna engine too.)

Piotr Kostrzewski
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Piotr Kostrzewski » 2023-12-06, 12:35

Wrolf wrote:
2023-12-06, 12:25

Which proprietary engine would you suggest? (I ask because creating their own engine would be very costly and take very long time, and is probably totally out of the question.) (And I suppose that in this context we're excluding the Goanna engine too.)
I just had Goanna in mind, but with the completely own code of the creators of Pale Moon.
No connection to Firefox.
I guess it's time-consuming and expensive, but ultimately total freedom in development.
And it's easier to solve your own mistakes than other people's. At least in theory.

Wrolf
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Wrolf » 2023-12-06, 12:53

Piotr Kostrzewski wrote:
2023-12-06, 12:35
I just had Goanna in mind, but with the completely own code of the creators of Pale Moon.
I guess it's time-consuming and expensive, but ultimately total freedom in development.
And it's easier to solve your own mistakes than other people's. At least in theory.
Goanna is forked from Gecko, the FF engine. I don't know how far it has left Gecko behind, but "for certain values of 'no connection'" I suppose.
Opera had their own engine Presto. In the end it turned out to be so complicated and expensive to solve their own mistakes that they threw it out, and instead used Chromium Blink. Freedom is a risky thing, as people say.

Piotr Kostrzewski
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Piotr Kostrzewski » 2023-12-06, 13:02

Wrolf wrote:
2023-12-06, 12:53
Goanna is forked from Gecko, the FF engine. I don't know how far it has left Gecko behind, but "for certain values of 'no connection'" I suppose.
Opera had their own engine Presto. In the end it turned out to be so complicated and expensive to solve their own mistakes that they threw it out, and instead used Chromium Blink. Freedom is a risky thing, as people say.
I know that.
Sometimes it's worth taking a risk. I just asked.

Wrolf
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Wrolf » 2023-12-06, 13:05

Piotr Kostrzewski wrote:
2023-12-06, 13:02
I know that.
Sometimes it's worth taking a risk. I just asked.
Ok.
/regards/Rolf

Piotr Kostrzewski
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Piotr Kostrzewski » 2023-12-06, 13:06

Wrolf wrote:
2023-12-06, 13:05

Ok.
/regards/Rolf
Regards,
Piotr

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-12-06, 13:36

Piotr Kostrzewski wrote:
2023-12-06, 12:35
It would be an amicable ideal to strive for, but if you have a look at the absolutely obscene size of the collected protocol, styling, javascript and "Web APIs" (with more added and changed weekly) they you'll quickly realize you'd have to be a company the size of Microsoft to do this -- who, actually, did do this with their Chakra engine (early versions of Edge) over the course of quite some time and shaping up really well, before they suddenly and without stated reason switched to Blink.

For a small team this is simply not possible. Given unlimited time they may be able to get close BUT the target is also constantly moving. There won't be enough momentum to get to an acceptable implementation, which will inevitably drop usership to 0, leaving such a new implementation in an early alpha state with no way to keep developing.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Piotr Kostrzewski
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Piotr Kostrzewski » 2023-12-06, 14:26

Moonchild wrote:
2023-12-06, 13:36
It would be an amicable ideal to strive for, but if you have a look at the absolutely obscene size of the collected protocol, styling, javascript and "Web APIs" (with more added and changed weekly) they you'll quickly realize you'd have to be a company the size of Microsoft to do this -- who, actually, did do this with their Chakra engine (early versions of Edge) over the course of quite some time and shaping up really well, before they suddenly and without stated reason switched to Blink.

For a small team this is simply not possible. Given unlimited time they may be able to get close BUT the target is also constantly moving. There won't be enough momentum to get to an acceptable implementation, which will inevitably drop usership to 0, leaving such a new implementation in an early alpha state with no way to keep developing.
I understand and thank you very much.
Have a nice day.