Idea: Search (CTRL+F) option to blink the matches

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
freedom4all
Moonbather
Moonbather

Idea: Search (CTRL+F) option to blink the matches

Unread post by freedom4all » 2023-11-06, 18:44

:wave:

This is a wild-hair idea that I've wished for for years in the back of my mind but never thought to bring up to anyone. I sort of wish this was a standard option in all browsers.

When using CTRL+F, it highlights the search term(s) on the page that match, to help the user locate the search text. Color highlighting alone generally works just fine in 99.5% of cases, but dependent on the page color, graphical content, font size and complexity of the page content, every once in a while it can still be difficult to visually locate where the matches were found.

My proposal is to add an additional toggle button in the search box with the label "Flash Matches" next to "Highlight All".

It would be off by default (non-persistent setting), but when manually toggled on, the highlighted result(s) would blink on and off to help grab the user's attention to where it is.

Just an additional assistive feature that would rarely ever be needed, but very helpful when it is.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Idea: Search (CTRL+F) option to blink the matches

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-11-06, 18:51

freedom4all wrote:
2023-11-06, 18:44
works just fine in 99.5% of cases
This should be a good indication that this would be something to make an extension for instead of making changes to the core :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

freedom4all
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by freedom4all » 2023-11-06, 19:07

Moonchild wrote:
2023-11-06, 18:51
freedom4all wrote:
2023-11-06, 18:44
works just fine in 99.5% of cases
This should be a good indication that this would be something to make an extension for instead of making changes to the core :)
I did consider that, but it seemed to me like something that would fit in nicely as a baked-in feature.

The "match case" checkbox I've probably only needed a handful of time in the last couple decades, but yet it's there to help the user if it's ever needed. Yet the inability to quickly locate matches comes up for me about once a week .. not just in PM, but other browsers too. Now something like adding regex, yea, I could see that being more suited for an extension.

Not a big deal if it isn't considered, just thought I'd toss the idea out there

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2023-11-06, 19:25

freedom4all wrote:
2023-11-06, 19:07
The "match case" checkbox I've probably only needed a handful of time in the last couple decades, but yet it's there to help the user if it's ever needed.
Chrome not having this feature is just another one of a dozen infuriating UI missteps.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-11-06, 21:42

Also, clicking "highlight all" will highlight all occurrences. It just won't blink them or use any other kind of arbitrary way to grab your attention.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2023-11-06, 22:01

My first thought is to just use the highlight all option, but add a random character in the search box (that you know isn't part of your query) so the results disappear after they've been found, then take it away again so they get freshly highlighted and draw your attention again as you're scrolling down. That way, you still control when it goes away and comes back... rather than having it either statically highlighted once, or else blinking at a fixed interval.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just realized the main problem with this approach... web browsers act like a text editor and bounce your screen back to where the first result is located when you do that, rather than highlighting the results in the background and letting you passively scrolling through them all while changing your query (and the associated highlighting). I somehow forgot about that little quirk momentarily. I could have sworn browsers do this differently than text editors because their main function isn't finding/editing words in text, but apparently they still do that thing where they reposition the screen to the first occurrence.

EDIT2: I just realized the browser normally only highlights one occurrence at a time and lets you sift through them, and "highlight all" isn't the default... and you can actually toggle "highlight all" without the window jumping back or forwards already. So I guess that idea does work? That is, you can still manually blink them by toggling the option on or off as you scroll around. In fact, you can use ALT+L to do so, apparently.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

jars_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by jars_ » 2023-11-06, 22:47

Code: Select all

findbar.highlightAll = true
findbar.iteratorTimeout = 1000
ui.textHighlightBackground = #FFD700
ui.textHighlightForeground = #008000
ui.textSelectBackgroundAttention = #8A2BE2
Last edited by jars_ on 2023-11-07, 08:36, edited 1 time in total.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-11-06, 23:20

Better idea - search on CAA for legacy addons that may already do what you're asking for :P

SearchWP is it - caa:addon/searchwp
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

jars_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by jars_ » 2023-11-07, 08:30

Better idea.... SearchWP ...
press F3 button :lol: