Bookmark possible bug?

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
mzoro
Moongazer
Moongazer

Bookmark possible bug?

Unread post by mzoro » 2023-11-05, 14:41

Hello,

I have installed PM on win7 32bit.
It seems the browser didn't like I imported the bookmarks from firefox (via html document).
The result is that it includes a "bookmark toolbar" folder inside the bookmark toolbar, which contains a "bookmark toolbar" folder which contains a "bookmark toolbar" folder and so on (see the picture).
Link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/16Z3r0f ... sp=sharing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Scribe
Moon lover
Moon lover

Re: Bookmark possible bug?

Unread post by Scribe » 2023-11-08, 08:46

Just something to check. If you open the HTML file from Firefox that is saved on your PC, see if there are multiple copies of the bookmarks toolbar in there. If there are, that would account for why PM is importing them. If not, then perhaps as you suggested, it is a bug in PM's importing.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-11-08, 09:28

What is more likely is that the html export contained a bookmarks toolbar link as a "special folder" link, and that it simply created a circular folder path. You can get rid of that by deleting the special folder link from the bookmarks toolbar folder (either in Pale Moon or in the export created).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2023-11-09, 02:34

mzoro wrote:It seems the browser didn't like I imported the bookmarks from firefox (via html document).
FWIW - An easy way to re-configure or edit any 'bookmarks.html' file is to start a new Pale Moon profile (use the 'Create a New Profile' button on the 'about:profiles' page)... and then use the clean profile's Library window as a bookmarks editor.

You might want to re-arrange some bookmarks, delete some unwanted folders, etc... or perhaps delete everything except one particular folder you want to add to/import into another browser's bookmarks:
  • Open the new profile's Library window (Ctrl+Shift+B)... and import a copy of the 'bookmarks.html' file that you want to edit.
  • You can now easily move and delete folders and individual bookmarks without any risk... you are not working on your default profile's bookmarks... so, if you make a mess just start again... import another copy of the original 'bookmarks.html' file and have another go.
  • When happy with the 'edited' bookmarks... export as a new 'bookmarks.html' file... and import that file into your default profile or perhaps import a single 'edited' folder as an addition to another browser's bookmarks.
  • When finished simply delete the extra profile used for editing.
There are many other ways of editing .html files... this is just a handy method for editing browser bookmarks.

PS. You can have the Library windows of two different browser profiles open at the same time... and can then transfer bookmarks from one to the other... but that's a little less obvious to do and needs some experimentation to get right. :)

mzoro
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by mzoro » 2023-11-09, 16:20

Men, I'm just reporting a bug, not requiring help for that (I don't care about this bookmark folder and never have to open it).
The point is that this behavior SHOULDN'T occur in a clean system. You clearly have an infinite loop in the bookmark display and this should not occur in my opinion, whether or not I did a wrong manipulation or the html import file was not perfect.
If you need more information to solve the bug, tell me and I will do my best, or if you are too lazy to solve it, let terminate this thread.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-11-09, 17:06

mzoro wrote:
2023-11-09, 16:20
Men, I'm just reporting a bug
It's not a bug.
mzoro wrote:
2023-11-09, 16:20
The point is that this behavior SHOULDN'T occur in a clean system.
It would occur if you import something that has a circular reference/self-reference, also on a clean system.

As I already tried to explain this is the issue where you have a special folder link in your import, that refers to its own parent. The "infinite loop" is in the bookmark folder structure you imported, not in the browser. This is possible because the bookmarking system allows you to designate special folders with the "plcae:" protocol (as opposed to "https:" etc.) that do a database lookup in the bookmarks/history database when you open them, that are not static links.

e.g. a bookmark can be "place:type=6&sort=14&maxResults=10" to show the 10 most frequently visited sites. similar dynamic URLs can point to a folder that contains the very dynamic URL you're pointing to, creating a circular reference. that will result in infinitely cascading menus (or until your reach whatever internal limit is set for menu depth).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

mzoro
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by mzoro » 2023-11-09, 19:34

Link to the html file exported by FF:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dlowClb2irwIu-N1orGfGKvl6a0yy0av/view?usp=sharing

You can now check if your conjectures are right. I don't have the expertise to do it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-11-12, 01:18

I tested the export. it imports just fine (at least going through the organize bookmarks -> import and backup -> import from html route). No circular references or bookmarks menu oddities seen.