History Granularity Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Deadgye
Moongazer
Moongazer

History Granularity

Unread post by Deadgye » 2023-11-04, 17:59

Currently, history viewed by date is bucketed into "Today", "Yesterday", "Last 7 days", <Month-1>, <Month-2>, <Month-3>, <Month-4>, <Month-5>, "Older than 6 months". Am I missing some obvious way of bucketing history so that 90%+ of my history isn't lumped into one bucket? Heck, I don't think I can even tell how far back my history actually goes.
I feel like it would make more sense from every perspective to have buckets for all of the previous years that have history. Sub-buckets for the months of those previous years would be nice too, but I can understand not wanting to deal with sub-buckets.
I didn't see any add-ons that looked like they would resolve this when I searched add-ons for history. Is this even something that should require an add-on? Every time I forget and remember, I'm surprised this isn't the default behavior. Is there a reason why it's instead the way it currently is?

I can't be the only one that has avoided using history because trying to find something in the "Older than 6 months" bucket is worse than finding a needle in a haystack, right?

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: History Granularity

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2023-11-04, 19:22

Deadgye wrote:
2023-11-04, 17:59
I can't be the only one that has avoided using history because ...
Personally I am one who has always avoided keeping history after closing the browser (when I used to do that only once in several months as I kept the work computer permanently on and logged on), and has used an extension to keep only Today and Yesterday (which I do eve now from an home computer which is often switched off). Things which are really useful to me are kept in a variety of bookmark folders ... other places I visit sporadically are fetched via a search engine).
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2023-11-07, 02:38

Deadgye wrote:I didn't see any add-ons that looked like they would resolve this when I searched add-ons for history. Is this even something that should require an add-on?
Due to the way the Places database works and how the 'Frecency' algorithm curates browsing history this (trying to find something in the "Older than 6 months" bucket) is probably something best done by a browser extension and/or other utilities/tools external to the browser (e.g. Nirsoft's 'MZHistoryView v1.70 - History Viewer for Mozilla/Firefox Browsers').

The simplest way to search a long way back in time is probably by using the 'Norwell History Tools' extension which is still available from JustOff's Classic Add-ons Archive (CAA) and from the 59 page captures saved by WayBackMachine (WBM) e.g. this June 2017 WBM snapshot of the original Add-ons Mozilla (AMO) page... which also has a clean copy of the extension's final version .xpi file available from the live '+ Download Now' button (using right-click 'Save Link As...' works best).
trumpai (Norwell Extension Dev) wrote:Norwell doesn't interfere, touch or modify firefox internal routines or existing history database. It only displays already existing data differently.
Tested 'norwell_history_tools-3.1.0.2-fx.xpi' briefly on Pale Moon 32.5.0. The extension downloads, loads, enables, displays a working toolbar icon, opens a working tab page, disables, and can be removed correctly without any problems AFAICS. (Note: Norwell's toolbar button is loaded into the Customize window on installation... open and drag the black 'H' button onto a toolbar.)

The Norwell History Tools button opens a tab page (chrome://norwell/content/norwell.xul). The Norwell tab page appears to work correctly and lists all browsing history in time order... the in-page buttons, search, right-click, and double-click on history items, etc. work. However, only a minimal 'current session only' test possible here. (Preferences set to 'Clear history when Pale Moon closes'.)

Norwell History Tools - Add-on Mozilla page - web.archive.org.png
Norwell History Tools - Add-ons Mozilla (AMO) page (top half) - on web.archive.org

Norwell History Tools - Add-ons Mozilla page - tab page expanded.png
Norwell History Tools - example tab page - on Add-on Mozilla (AMO)

PS. Further reading - 6 pages of '[EXT] Norwell history tools' topic on Mozillazine forums.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Deadgye
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Deadgye » 2023-11-30, 07:41

Blacklab wrote:
2023-11-07, 02:38
Tested 'norwell_history_tools-3.1.0.2-fx.xpi' briefly on Pale Moon 32.5.0. The extension downloads, loads, enables, displays a working toolbar icon, opens a working tab page, disables, and can be removed correctly without any problems AFAICS.

PS. Further reading - 6 pages of '[EXT] Norwell history tools' topic on Mozillazine forums.
Sweet. Thanks a lot for the in-depth response. This looks like it can fulfill my wants so I'll definitely give it a try.
It looks a little less convenient than being able to skim through better native buckets, but the query capabilities might more than make up for that. I didn't even realize the backend DB was closer to an audit log than what the browser presents to us.