"Default zoom" feature request Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
allseeingeye819
New to the forum
New to the forum

"Default zoom" feature request

Unread post by allseeingeye819 » 2023-10-24, 11:04

Hi there!
I just installed Pale Moon on Windows 7 and it works amazing,
but having a 4:3 (1600x1200) 21" monitor I have to keep on Zooming In or Out using the buttons on the upper-right corner...
Are you guys ever going to add an option to SET A DEFAULT ZOOM PERCENTAGE just like the current ESP release of Firefox?!?
By that I mean: 50% or 67% or 80% so that we can avoid playing around with the zooming buttons?

THANK U

Potkeny
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: "DEFAULT ZOOM" FEATURE REQUEST

Unread post by Potkeny » 2023-10-24, 13:58

I think NoSquint is capable of that?

https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/nosquint/

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2023-10-24, 14:29

It is.

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: "default zoom" feature request (please no screaming titles)

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2023-10-24, 15:20

Indeed. I have no squint (at 130% except for specific sites), since ages.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-10-24, 16:39

I'm going to break off from the pack on this topic and become a lone wolf.

I agree with the OP's request. I too would like to see a default zoom feature built into Pale Moon. Firefox has it, Waterfox has it and even Mercury has it.

I use two desktop tower computers as my daily drivers. With an external 105 key keyboard for each tower, to zoom in or out I have to press and hold down the Control key with my left index finger while scrolling with my mouse wheel using my right index finger, forward or backward to zoom in or out.

But even doing it this way, I really do not know what the percentages of zoom are.
Last edited by Night Wing on 2023-10-24, 18:35, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Potkeny
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Potkeny » 2023-10-24, 18:21

Night Wing wrote:
2023-10-24, 16:39

But even doing it this way, I really do not know what the percentages of zoom are.
I think Zoom Label should work for you?
https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/zoom-label/

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-10-24, 18:41

Potkeny wrote:
2023-10-24, 18:21
Night Wing wrote:

I think Zoom Label should work for you?
https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/zoom-label/
I downloaded it and installed it. Went to my Add-ons to make sure it is installed and it is installed. But it doesn't show up anywhere. And I've checked everywhere for it.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-10-24, 18:43

Fount it. It went to the Customize Toobar.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-10-24, 18:46

@ Potkeny

Thanks for the tip. Should really help me out with my poor eyesight. And it is good all the way up and including the version 39 series.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2023-10-24, 18:52

Night Wing wrote:
2023-10-24, 18:46
...it is good all the way up and including the version 39 series.
I wouldn't take that at face value. I'm guessing it's just a randomly high number to avoid editing the extension frequently. They don't really know that the extension will last until or break after the "version 40 series". A version that doesn't exist in any form or plan.

Kris_88
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Kris_88 » 2023-10-24, 20:35

The default zoom value can be changed using Scratchpad.
This value is used for sites that do not have site-specific zoom set or after an action "View -> Zoom -> Reset".

1) Open about:config page, set "devtools.chrome.enabled" preference to true.
2) Open menu tools > web developer > scratchpad
3) Set "Environment" to "Browser"
4) Paste the script:

Code: Select all

Components.classes["@mozilla.org/content-pref/service;1"].
  getService(Components.interfaces.nsIContentPrefService2).
  setGlobal('browser.content.full-zoom', 1.55, null);
Change 1.55 to the desired value (1.55 = 155%).
5) Press "Run"
6) Restart the browser.

To remove this default, run the script.

removeGlobal('browser.content.full-zoom', null);

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-10-24, 22:05

@ Kris_88

I'm a non-technical person when it comes to computers. After looking at your post on how "easy" it looks to change the zoom for this topic, might be easy for you, but I would never use it. Why? Because for a non technical person like me, it makes me feel like "jumping through hoops".

I venture into "about:config" to change things which I like, but when it comes to "developer's tools", that is the realm for power users. Screw something up in there with the wrong code and a person like me would immediately have a mess on their hands and not know how to get out of it.

If I don't know the percentage, it is not that big of a deal to not know the percentage. Nice to know the percentage, yes.

Having the Zoom Label extension is a nice extension. It works. If the extension gets abandoned and/or quits working, no problem for me. I can still zoom in and zoom out using the Control key on my keyboard and the mouse wheel. Since I am a non technical computer user; your easy method amounts to; "No, no, definitely not".

And if the Zoom feature cannot be included in Pale Moon or Moonchild does not want to include it in Pale Moon by his reasoning, I can deal with that.

Kris_88
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Kris_88 » 2023-10-24, 22:37

Night Wing wrote:
2023-10-24, 22:05
After looking at your post on how "easy" it looks to change the zoom for this topic, might be easy for you, but I would never use it.
your easy method amounts to; "No, no, definitely not".
I didn't say it would be easy. And I don’t think I even said the word “easy” at all.
(although it's actually not that difficult)
But, you know, sometimes it’s really necessary... and the browser has this mechanism inside and you can use it. There are simply no corresponding control knobs on the surface...

suzyne
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by suzyne » 2023-10-24, 22:49

Night Wing wrote:
I'm going to break off from the pack on this topic and become a lone wolf.

I agree with the OP's request. I too would like to see a default zoom feature built into Pale Moon. Firefox has it, Waterfox has it and even Mercury has it.
You are not the only one!

I asked about this a while back. I think a default zoom would be a good addition to Pale Moon too! But at the time among the suggestions was NoSquint which I am now using.

My eyesight is fine, but on a 14 inch laptop at 1920 by 1080, stuff can be uncomfortable if it is not designed to adjust.
Laptop 1: Windows 10 64-bit, i7 @ 2.80GHz, 16GB, NVIDIA GeForce MX450.
Laptop 2: Windows 10 32-bit, Atom Z3735F @ 1.33GHz, 2GB, Intel HD Graphics.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: "Default zoom" feature request

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-10-24, 23:19

The problem here is that we already have an established method of storing zoom levels per-site, and the default display of websites should be "as designed" as a starting point (that means 100% zoom). If 100% zoom is problematic for you in Pale Moon, then i would suspect it would be problematic in other applications as well, at which point you'd use a system-wide zoom level, once more supporting the default being 100%.

Then there's the fact that we have an extension that is clearly filling the niche of people with poor eyesight in NoSquint and any implementation of this in the core would fall short of the functionality offered by the extension, unless we'd literally integrate NoSquint into the core as a whole with all of its features. That is not the way to do it and expect the browser to be maintainable.

Use browser extensions. They are there for a reason. Get used to Pale Moon offering real browser extensions, not just web/content extensions.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Kris_88
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Kris_88 » 2023-10-24, 23:38

Moonchild wrote:
2023-10-24, 23:19
unless we'd literally integrate NoSquint into the core as a whole with all of its features. That is not the way to do it and expect the browser to be maintainable.
The browser already has this mechanism. You just need to use it...
The global content preference "browser.content.full-zoom" intended to store default zoom.

https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProd ... ullZoom.js

491   _getGlobalValue: function(browser) {
https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProd ... rvice2.jsm

243 	  setGlobal: function CPS2_setGlobal(name, value, context, callback) {
Set global default zoom:

setGlobal('browser.content.full-zoom', ZoomValue, null);
Remove global default:

removeGlobal('browser.content.full-zoom', null);
Last edited by Kris_88 on 2023-10-25, 00:18, edited 2 times in total.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-10-24, 23:43

Kris_88 wrote:
2023-10-24, 22:37

But, you know, sometimes it’s really necessary... and the browser has this mechanism inside and you can use it. There are simply no corresponding control knobs on the surface...
I know it is necessary some times, but I have heard almost the same type of reasoning from the power users who love the linux Terminal. I go with simple and easy if I can get it. Coding is not my forte' and that is the short of it.

Kris_88
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Kris_88 » 2023-10-24, 23:50

Night Wing wrote:
2023-10-24, 23:43
but I have heard almost the same type of reasoning from the power users who love the linux Terminal
Am I forcing you? And you're not even the author of the topic. And my post wasn’t even under your post. Why are you angry, after all?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-10-25, 00:31

Kris_88 wrote:
2023-10-24, 23:38
The browser already has this mechanism. You just need to use it...
I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say.
Yes, we have a way to set the global zoom (I assume NoSquint uses this, in fact) but if we implement this then it would fall short of the added functionality that users would want. Something that is already filled by NoSquint. And then we'd be on the slope of scope creep once more, having to deal with requests to add even more related "features" that would only benefit edge cases that already have solutions in extensions. NoSquint has a lot more options than just global zoom, and we'd get requests to eventually have all of them, because in that context they would all make sense. so then we'd have to absorb more and more of the extension's scope and basically take over maintenance of all that functionality in the core.
And this would not be isolated to this extension in that case.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Kris_88
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Kris_88 » 2023-10-25, 00:41

Moonchild wrote:
2023-10-25, 00:31
I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say.
Ah, that's what you're talking about...
This makes sense, of course.
I just thought it would be logical to bring out what was already ready inside. But, it's your decision...
I haven’t looked at how NoSquint does it and what else it can do. I looked at what the browser can do...